Dune, the movie or mini-series

Stampede

Which one did you like more?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you like more?

• David Lynch's Dune
    • Dune-The Mini-Series

I never really got too much into the movie before I got married. My wife however loved the movie, and after I watched it, I too was hooked. It is just a great story, and it really makes you think about a few things. I mean, nowadays more movies just put everything out there, and you can just zone out while watching them. Dune was different. If you weren't paying attention, you could miss something. I mean, I still pick up on things I missed before when I watch it again (I'll have to look for that eye thing, sounds really creepy).

Anyway, I did see the Children of Dune miniseries, and I enjoyed that as well, but not quite as much as the original movie. But, as Admiral says, both have their strong points.

One other side note, yes there used to be a video game based on Dune (or a few of them). The earliest one I remember was called Dune II, and was a lot like C&C. You could choose from the different houses, and try to take over Arrakis. It was a very fun game.

Oh well, enough of my opinion, I'll let others say what they want to as well.

P.S. Sting was hilarious in the movie!

I liked both the miniseries and the movie, But i gotta go with the movie im afraid...

The acting was like a million times better (considering the Cockney geezer in the Mini series' acting was more wooden than a viking longboat), The Harkonnen soldiers looked much better (the green visers on the HAZMAT lookalike suits seemed more sinister than the red robelike panzie gear they wear in the Miniseries) and Phade (spl?) Harkonnen was played much better by Sting than that random unnamable actor the Miniseries used. And on another note... The model they used for the Navigator in the movie was much better than the wobbly, obviously plastic Blue Peter jobby they used in the Miniseries...

Other than that ( :blink: ) there both good...

Thanks for all the opinions! :)

I don't hate the mini-series, I'm sure those guys who made it are just as big Dune fans as what I am, they just interpreted it in their own way. I felt though, that they really made a BIG mistake going the 'arty' route with the costume designer. He also designed the costumes for Amadeus, which were good, but they probably give his creativity carte blanche for this movie and that's why in one scene Feyd is wearing a kite. :lol:

I think intellectual snobbery plays a part in that...if you consider yourself a member of a movie elite, you can't possible be seen to like the same films as the great unwashed public. I mean - who'd need a film critic in that case? You'd just go by the box office receipts.

I think a lot of film critics will rate movies according to their inaccessibility - the fewer people understand it, the more highly it is rated. 'Spider' received such praise and such good reviews that I went to see it.

I ended up studying the art deco ceiling of the cinema as it had far more meaning that what was going on on the screen.

However, that would not explain why David Lynch's Dune received such bad reviews...

Archived