Damn you, Bethesda. Why would you do this?

Relativelybest

Didn't see a thread about this, so here goes:

Okay, so apparently we're not getting spears with Dragonborn. Or, well, we kinda do. There's a new enemy called rieklings that use spears. But these spears are so small, your character uses them as arrows instead. Only, they are larger and heavier than normal arrows and thus harder to aim with.

So, instead of spears we've been given crappy arrows, pretty much. I... Words fail me, gentlemen.

:wallbash:

Oh, and apparently the dragon riding thing kinda sucks as well. Yeah. That was pretty much the most anticipated feature of the DLC, right? Only you don't get to actually control the dragon like a horse - it flies around at random and you can tell it to attack things. Also, it can be used to fast-travel which is... not very useful at all, I guess?

I suppose a silver lining here is that these features might be salvaged as mods once the DLC hits PC. The rieklings do seem to have melee animations for the spears and someone might be able to figure out how to actually steer the dragons. (I dunno, maybe I'm reaching for straws here.)

On a positive note, Dragonborn does seem to introduce some cool new weapons and armors, including a sword that shoots Legend of Zelda-type energy arcs. So, I'm still kinda looking forward to this. Still, my enthusiasm has definitely dulled.

Edited by Relativelybest

Honestly, after playing Dragonborn on my brothers save (on xbox) for 3 minutes, i was in such nostalgia heaven i don't care what crap the rest of the game includes. The bug-shell structures, vine-y plants and Netch were enough to gaurentee my money.

Alas, I have not played Morrowind, so nostalgia isn't really a factor for me.

And I'm not saying it can't be an entertaining DLC. Just that I expected better than this.

Well, it appears that the console players won't have any decent spears, and I'll have to keep the spears from the mods. And I never expected much from the dragon riding thing.

Edit: But I still have hope that this evil Dragonborn ( or whatever he is) don't be as weak as Alduin.

Edited by Dovahkiin069

Why is this worth being angry about? We want spears, does that mean we have a right to get them? That we are entitled to spears? No, if Bethesda felt they could give us Spears that were good enough they would have, they're not keeping them from us out of spite. If they aren't ready they aren't ready, I'd rather not have spears at all if they aren't any good. As for Dragon riding, I don't care, the idea has never appealed to me at all anyway and I doubt I'll be doing it much, if at all, unless I have to.

What I'm looking forward to is going back to Solstheim and seeing for myself just how well they've captured the magic of Morrowind, if they can take me back to that time, even for a few moments, It'll all the worth it.

I'm gonna hold off on getting too upset about it. When the dlc comes out on pc it Might have been fixed(probably not) and I'd be willing to bet that with the animations of those new watcha call-ems that do use spears, some modders around here can rectify the bethesda oversight. After that I can start shouting for...Halberds and Pole-arms! And a full scale remake of daggerfall! Edited by heyiforgot

Why is this worth being angry about? We want spears, does that mean we have a right to get them? That we are entitled to spears?

It's just... they do have a spear mechanic. See this? They made that in a week, along with a bunch of other stuff, some of which we did get as DLC.

Does that mean we're entitled to them? Well, no. But the trailer clearly showed enemies holding spears, which got our hopes up. It just seems kinda mean-spirited to imply spears if we weren't going to get to use them.

Bethesda felt they could give us Spears that were good enough they would have, they're not keeping them from us out of spite. If they aren't ready they aren't ready, I'd rather not have spears at all if they aren't any good.

That's kind of my point. If they had just skipped the spears, I would have been disappointed but not actually angry - it's the fact that they did add spears but made them exclusive to a bunch of boar-riding goblins that really ticks me off.

Same with the dragon riding: If they could not or did not want to allow us to actually fly the dragons, then they shouldn't have added dragon riding in the first place. It's really that simple.

Instead they half-assed both features, probably because they knew they would be selling points for those of us dreaming of a spear-wielding Dragonborn soaring high above Skyrim on a dragon.

Edited by Relativelybest

:D And of what use would spear wielding be, riding a dragon high up in the sky?

+1 green arrow for UrgeNexus (even though the arrows are gone).

Everyone getting upset about DB probably believes in what polititians say before election day and that a good trailer inevitably means a good movie too.