When Gamebryo/Creation Engine mods require an ESP?

seppesusi

Since the mod scripts remain in your save file after removal, to my knowledge, you shouldn't install mods for entirely trivial reasons. Mods which only replace texture or audio files don't require an ESP, but I'm unsure if it's possible to replace any game variable (e.g. the amount of XP gained, damage done/taken, health values, buff duration etc.) without using the said extension.

If you want a stable game, you just need to follow a few simple practices:

• Use a tool like Mod Organizer 2, so you can easily install and uninstall, while keeping your Data directory clean.
  • Test new mods with a new character - so you can easily back out without trouble.
  • Spend some time putting together a good mod list. (With test characters/saves.)
  • After you start a character "for real", don't remove mods that have plugins until you're ready to start a new character.

Using the above practices, I've got a Skyrim LE game that hasn't crashed in 40+ hours. And I've got an SE game that crashes every 5-6 hours, which is undesirable, but doesn't ruin the experience. In both cases, I'm using 300 - 400 mods. I've used 500+ mods for Morrowind and Oblivion, with stable games. It just takes patience and preparation to setup.

Also, just to be pedantic: the "baked in" save is really only true for Skyrim and FO4. Earlier games didn't do this. Even so, the above practices are needed for a large mod list in any game. You could remove mods in older games, but it was never entirely safe.

Variables for weapons or health are just numbers and can be edited in xEdit and never require a plugin. A plugin is only needed when a mod adds an item to the game that isn't vanilla. I've been installing and un-installing hundreds of mods during gameplay with very rarely running into trouble after the uninstall of a mod.

Have a look at FallrimTools. It's software specifically created for Skyrim/SE and Fallout 4 to clean saves of leftover script instances after the deletion of a script-heavy mod. I haven't tried it on FO4 but I did on Skyrim SE and it works like a treat.

Also, have a look at Nexus Mod Manager, aka NMM. Not as 'sophisticated' as MO2, but does an excellent job. I've been using NMM for almost ten years now without real problems. Click the link in my sig to download NMM.