No pause when reading books

Sucrilhus

To anyone interested:

I found this mod here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17559

But this isn't quite what I wanted...

I just wanted a mod that wouldn't pause time while I read.... (Like when we're using Alchemy Lab.... )

(Maybe closing the inventory window as soon as I open the book... so the game can keep flowing again)

I honestly don't know why the game pauses when we're lockpicking and reading... this adds nothing to the game, only hurts realism.

Edited by Sucrilhus

• 4 months later...

I posted something similar to this a couple days ago, requesting someone to make a mod that does this, as well as maybe stop the time pausing in other various menus as well, like the item menus in inventory and looting. As I said there, maybe you could take a look at the menus that don't freeze like the crafting menus and see what keeps time going in those.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to bump this up as well. The game not pausing while reading would be a good way to pass time, and would make you think twice before going to read a book in the middle of a dangerous ruin! Best to just pick it up and read it when you're safely back in town! ;D

• 5 months later...

I'll take a look at it! I have a bunch of mod requests I'm fulfilling right now, so I can't guarantee upon any time scheme for its completion, but I plan to make (or attempt) this mod asap! I'm very experienced at modding but haven't experimented with this specific thing before, so we'll see!

I may actually have accomplished this, just not in the exact manner originally requested.

but it would be nice to be able to read to pass time while the carriage goes.

as well as maybe stop the time pausing in other various menus as well, like the item menus in inventory and looting

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but both of these aspects are pretty well impossibly (don't stop reading though, I have a solution!). This is because the fundamental manner in which forms operate is hard coded into the game engine, basically unchangeable via the creation kit. The only thing that the creation kit does is allows the editing of forms to operate in their predefined manners, as well as allowing the addition of scripts. Scripts could be the answer to changing these fundamental aspects, but with the current resources it just not possible. That's going to be a job for the SKSE team, not for CK modders.

maybe you could take a look at the menus that don't freeze like the crafting menus and see what keeps time going in those.

It's a good suggestion, but that's not really how the creation kit is designed to work.

Maybe closing the inventory window as soon as I open the book... so the game can keep flowing again

Well, books are not part of the inventory window, they are their own display form. I see your train of thought and you arrived their because, yes, books menus and message boxes all run on the same system, but the inventory is not the cause for book pause.

Now for the exciting part! I can still create this mod (and already have for the most part)! The only thing is that time will not flow like while you're smithing or enchanting, but rather time will 'update' once you close the book (or menu, depends on if I add menus to the mod). It's certainly an improvement, but may not help immersion as much as I would like. So to elaborate, you open a book and read for 5 minutes in real life. On timescale 20 (Skyim's default) that would mean 100 minutes should have passed. I just tell it to make those 100 minutes pass on the spot when the book is closed (except it's really not that simple, scripting doesn't let you emulate the t key action nor is there a book closed event, but you don't need to know the inner mechanics of the mod, lol, so I guess I'm just rambling). Weather updates and all that, time of day updates, date updates. I'm also pretty sure your Frostfall temperature works properly too (as if 100 minutes passed in whatever heat/lack thereof you were in).

Would be nice to use along Frostfall when waiting for a storm to pass

This would work perfectly. I think it will be the focus of my mod.

Time is actually not passing in the typical sense though, NPCs will not move; you will not have been stabbed through the back by a Draugr Deathlord.

would make you think twice before going to read a book in the middle of a dangerous ruin

I could still do this, I would just implement a pseudo-randomness based on the player's location to see if they die. Just an idea.

but it would be nice to be able to read to pass time while the carriage goes

Back to the original post, I can still do this too. Actually, I haven't tested that my mod currently wouldn't work for this, but based on the way my operates I'm going to assume it doesn't. To fix it I can manually advance the carriage based on the time spent reading. It would be up to you to know how long that is though, because you may over read and 'spend some time sitting in the carriage at your destination'. You can always just pop out of the book every once and a while for a few seconds, let it update the carriage's location, then go back to reading, rinse and repeat.

In the end, I have almost finished this mod, but I'm wondering if this would satisfy you guys or if it's wasted effort. So tell me if this is what you are looking for.