Are there recommended system specs for running Creation Kit without constant crashes?

I can't believe I'm crashing just trying to access idle animations for scene dialogue. I'm not even loading up world map chunks anymore. Just animations.

Is this a system specs issue or the creation kit just being buggy?

If it's a system specs issue, what exactly do I need in order to not keep crashing?

I can't even do any meaningful modding like this.

There are actions that always will crash the CK, you only need to avoid doing them, is a matter of experience and patience. If you can run the game properly you should be able to run the CK normally if you avoid those certain things.

I can remember that I wasn't able to go beyond cells to load set to 3 and even then the CK crashed often and I wasn't able to fully built what I wanted because the CK became unresponsive or super slow. That was 1-2 years ago with my old PC(i5-2500K ,8GB RAM, old ~2GB GPU).

There are actions that always will crash the CK, you only need to avoid doing them, is a matter of experience and patience. If you can run the game properly you should be able to run the CK normally if you avoid those certain things.

Do you know what some of the more universal crash items are?

Well, that's something you'll need to find out, there are certainly a lot, most of the time, as YouDoNotKnowMyName pointed, is a matter of waiting for things to load or end processing, but sometimes when you try to change things that relay on other things it can crash, like for example, if you remove a bunch of stages from a quest at once it might crash, so applying changes one by one, apply changes, closing the form and saving before doing further changes is sometimes a must. I don't have many crashes, I use the CK daily and it crashed only once in the last 2 months.

But I also have to admit that when I started, each time I tried to do things in the render window it crashed, disabling markers (press M in the keyboard while the render window is active) and, as DocMoebius said, not going beyond cells to load set to 3, helps.

Edited by DieFeM

Do you know what some of the more universal crash items are?

Well, that's something you'll need to find out, there are certainly a lot, most of the time, as YouDoNotKnowMyName pointed, is a matter of waiting for things to load or end processing, but sometimes when you try to change things that relay on other things it can crash, like for example, if you remove a bunch of stages from a quest at once it might crash, so applying changes one by one, apply changes, closing the form and saving before doing further changes is sometimes a must. I don't have many crashes, I use the CK daily and it crashed only once in the last 2 months.

But I also have to admit that when I started, each time I tried to do things in the render window it crashed, disabling markers (press M in the keyboard while the render window is active) and, as DocMoebius said, not going beyond cells to load set to 3, helps.

So far the consensus I'm getting is that more than 3 cells loaded simultaneously = guaranteed crash, and applying input while CK is loading/executing something = high chance of crash. Beyond that, nothing is certain.

What kind of modding are you doing most commonly, and what's your approach? Tools used? Tools avoided? Buttons not clicked? Tabs not opened? I want to learn whatever I can to avoid crashes and be productive.

For me, trying to generate Worldspace LOD or Worldspace PreVis always crash the CK ...

Basically things that do stuff with an entire worldspace.

Also, trying to click something while the CK is loading almost always freezes the programm.

Do you have any problems just trying to load up an exterior cell that's not wilderness? Say for example, Swan's Pond or Museum Of Witchcraft?

Completely without evidence, but after upgrading the ram from 8GB to 16GB about 6 months ago I haven't experienced sudden crashes yet (loading default settings, the main esm, Far Harbor and NukaWorld)

I often get crashes when the nif preview window is open and browsing actors or furniture. Not sure if it is a specific nif that the preview does not handle or my browsing pattern is eating memory. I think it can happen when markers are visible. The markers are often very high poly meshes.

As thousande said, disabling the markers helps a lot, you can also disable the worldspace LOD. And if you are planning on upgrading your hardware, I can tell that after I upgraded the system memory (exact same than thousande, 8GB to 16GB) I had pretty much no crash while using the render window.