The Multiple Commandments of Modding

osdiaus

what number are we on? lol

X. Thu shalt not use scripts they do not understand. Im talking about the copy/paste scripters. They copy chunks of other peoples code because it does something similar to what they want with no care about the damage they could be causing. If you cant fully explain every line in a script snippet, then do not use it or ask for help.

Be reasonable, that's like saying you can't use a trap linker because the little bastard has a four page script defining over a half-dozen conditions. Although, to be fair, I'm sure there are people who do incredibly stupid things with scripts when I usually write out something very precise for each individual situation I want to do something.

XI. Try to avoid using an image as a description thingys....especially when author did "NOT" included any of simple readme within the file...yes i am a person that appreciated a file that mostly named with "Readme" no matter how simple that mod is, just a simple text document will do.

XII. If thou art not willing to help thine brethren who downloadeth thy mod and ignore questions and pms, do not release thy mod.

Nothing irritates me more than modders with zero sense of responsibility to their users. When our mods were still available we never failed to answer one single comment or question. If your attitude is "use at your own risk, you are on your own" then at least make that clear in the description. Then we can just not bother wasting our time with garbage.

IV: Thou shalt NOT publish your first mod. Keep it to yourself, polish it, make it better. THEN publish it.

The other day, this one kid's mod was so awful, I could do it in under a minute. Objects were sticking through other objects, he made a huge hole in the ground, and called it a home. I found his description to be hilarious in how regal he made it sound. I'm all for motivating people to do better and offering constructive criticism, but you can tell when people don't really try, and I was shocked it had as many downloads as it did, it made it to a full 3. Those were 3 brave people.

XII. If thou art not willing to help thine brethren who downloadeth thy mod and ignore questions and pms, do not release thy mod.

Nothing irritates me more than modders with zero sense of responsibility to their users. When our mods were still available we never failed to answer one single comment or question. If your attitude is "use at your own risk, you are on your own" then at least make that clear in the description. Then we can just not bother wasting our time with garbage.

It is worth noting some people are clearly incapable of reading in the first place, or taking the time to read earlier comments... eventually I stop answering redundant questions.

XIII Though shall tag thy freaking file appropriately. :wallbash: There is a reason I don't want to see some mods, simply because I will never want them.

I personally think this would be great.

There's so much of those annoying god weapons, weapons with daedric skin and just slightly different stats, caves without descriptions, companions with big boobs, FIRST MODS.

TALOS SMITE THE MAKERS OF "FIRST MODS"

The fact that mod is your "first" is not excuse to make BAD mod.

You can make mods on your PC, keep them to yourself.

And once you make something which is actually good, THEN upload it to nexus/workshop.

Usually those who make their "first mod" actually make "god weapon" and they yet claim it's not OP.

any weapon that has base damage higher than daedric/dragonbane is OP.

Especially if it's lying on farengar's desk, or craftable with iron ingot and chicken egg.

Of course, there's great mods which lack something, maybe textures are horrible, but it can be improved.

Mod makers should read the feedback and react to it.

If 3/4 of the downloaders say that the mod is crap, useless, or there's ten exactly same mods around, author should think if his mod is really necessary.

Anyhow, I know it's impossible to make this sort of "rules", as it'd mean every mod type should have their own criteria. If armor doesn't fill the criteria, it gets deleted.

It'd be hard to overwatch such a forum, as admins would need to take a look at every mod, decide if it fills the qualifications for "good" mod and so on. Just impossible.

Anyhow, just for fun:

IV: Thou shalt NOT publish your first mod. Keep it to yourself, polish it, make it better. THEN publish it.

I published my first mod and 7 people endorsed it, so that means at least 7 people are happy that I did upload it. Who are you to say that their happiness doesn't count? Even if only 1 person endorses it, it's still worth the upload. It's just a really small mod btw, so I'm sure that more enjoyed it, without feeling a need to endorse it.

Your commandment doesn't really make any sense either way. You can polish your first mod all you want, it's still your first mod.

My mod adds 2 spell tomes to Farengar's desk, and they are overpowered spells. I do give a clear warning in the mod description that these spells are overpowered, so that people who don't want that can decide not to download it (or request a balanced version in the comments, although nobody has done that yet).

It doesn't matter what's in the mod, as long as the description is clear on the content. That way, people who don't like the mod can simply choose to ignore it.

If you make a translation of another mod, 1/ give credit (derp) 2/ actually post the version number somewhere especially if you do not intend to update it, otherwise you are funneling players into an old version and they will haunt the modmaker in his sleep with bug reports.

I personally think this would be great.

There's so much of those annoying god weapons, weapons with daedric skin and just slightly different stats, caves without descriptions, companions with big boobs, FIRST MODS.

TALOS SMITE THE MAKERS OF "FIRST MODS"

The fact that mod is your "first" is not excuse to make BAD mod.

You can make mods on your PC, keep them to yourself.

And once you make something which is actually good, THEN upload it to nexus/workshop.

Usually those who make their "first mod" actually make "god weapon" and they yet claim it's not OP.

any weapon that has base damage higher than daedric/dragonbane is OP.

Especially if it's lying on farengar's desk, or craftable with iron ingot and chicken egg.

Of course, there's great mods which lack something, maybe textures are horrible, but it can be improved.

Mod makers should read the feedback and react to it.

If 3/4 of the downloaders say that the mod is crap, useless, or there's ten exactly same mods around, author should think if his mod is really necessary.

Anyhow, I know it's impossible to make this sort of "rules", as it'd mean every mod type should have their own criteria. If armor doesn't fill the criteria, it gets deleted.

It'd be hard to overwatch such a forum, as admins would need to take a look at every mod, decide if it fills the qualifications for "good" mod and so on. Just impossible.

Anyhow, just for fun:

I published my first mod and 7 people endorsed it, so that means at least 7 people are happy that I did upload it. Who are you to say that their happiness doesn't count? Even if only 1 person endorses it, it's still worth the upload. It's just a really small mod btw, so I'm sure that more enjoyed it, without feeling a need to endorse it.

Your commandment doesn't really make any sense either way. You can polish your first mod all you want, it's still your first mod.

My mod adds 2 spell tomes to Farengar's desk, and they are overpowered spells. I do give a clear warning in the mod description that these spells are overpowered, so that people who don't want that can decide not to download it (or request a balanced version in the comments, although nobody has done that yet).

It doesn't matter what's in the mod, as long as the description is clear on the content. That way, people who don't like the mod can simply choose to ignore it.

In this great and free world of World, we have many kind of people around.

We have those who can make complex mods, we have those who copy things other people made.

We have people who have 1-6 multiaccounts to endorse their own mods, and we have those without any sense of humor :biggrin:

Anyway, it does make sense. :armscrossed:

You can start scrolling through the unfinished "first mods", or the finished ones as well,

You would soon notice that those who actually put some effort on making the mod don't constantly spam the "Remember this is my first mod :hurr:"

Because they don't make as much mistakes. They fix things, they FIGURE OUT things before doing them.

So yes, it makes sense. :P

In this great and free world of World, we have many kind of people around.

We have those who can make complex mods, we have those who copy things other people made.

We have people who have 1-6 multiaccounts to endorse their own mods, and we have those without any sense of humor :biggrin:

Maybe those people do exist. What's your point?

Anyway, it does make sense. :armscrossed:

You can start scrolling through the unfinished "first mods", or the finished ones as well,

You would soon notice that those who actually put some effort on making the mod don't constantly spam the "Remember this is my first mod :hurr:"

Because they don't make as much mistakes. They fix things, they FIGURE OUT things before doing them.

So yes, it makes sense. :P

"Thou shalt NOT publish your first mod" is in contradiction with "Keep it to yourself, polish it, make it better. THEN publish it."

Either you don't want modders to upload their first mod, or you want them to polish their first mod before uploading. You cannot want both.