Steam and using mods

AzureWinter

I haven't bought it yet, but since Oblivion is cheap on steam I am considering it.

I'm mostly concerned with how difficult it is going to be to get mods working with steam. I remember hearing that the Oblivion Script Extender had issues in the past, is that still the case?

Do the mod managers play nice with steam? Nexus Mod Manager is the one to use right? Does it work fine with the steam version of Oblivion (also what if I were to install say.. Fallout 3 from a disc, any problems?).

Yeah, I am new to this, a bit nervous about screwing things up or things not working at all.

Absolutely zero problems using mods with Steam. I have the Steam version of Oblivion, and as you can see, I make Oblivion mods that work fine. :)

From the OBSE website:

OBSE does not work with:

The Direct2Drive version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by D2D is encrypted, and we cannot patch it without breaking the encryption. We will not do this, as it is illegal.

The Impulse version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by Impulse is also encrypted.

The GameSpot version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by GameSpot is also encrypted.

Probably any digital distribution version other than Steam. This is just going on history with other services.

Oh, if you want the smaller DLCs like Fighter's Stronghold, Spell Tomes and Mehrune's Razor, make sure you get the GOTY Edition Deluxe and not the plain old GOTY Edition.. ;)

In addition to Lanceor's good advice, you will probably need to learn using Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) or manually installing mods. Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) support for installing Oblivion mods is spotty. Generally it can handle simple mods (that would be trivial to install manually for example) but any mods requiring an installation script to select options won't work (a body mod like EVE HGEC Eyecandy Variants Expansion would be a good example). Start out with simple mods. Install one at a time and test in between. It's a bit confusing at first, but once you learn the jargon and get an idea behind some key concepts installing mods isn't rocket science.

Absolutely zero problems using mods with Steam. I have the Steam version of Oblivion, and as you can see, I make Oblivion mods that work fine. :)

From the OBSE website:

OBSE does not work with:

The Direct2Drive version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by D2D is encrypted, and we cannot patch it without breaking the encryption. We will not do this, as it is illegal.

The Impulse version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by Impulse is also encrypted.

The GameSpot version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by GameSpot is also encrypted.

Probably any digital distribution version other than Steam. This is just going on history with other services.

Oh, if you want the smaller DLCs like Fighter's Stronghold, Spell Tomes and Mehrune's Razor, make sure you get the GOTY Edition Deluxe and not the plain old GOTY Edition.. ;)

Oh really? Thank you. I remember looking into it before and seeing everyone having problems.

They must have fixed it so that is good.

I might postpone my purchase, I missed the really fantastic deal unfortunately. In the meantime I did get Skyrim and Fallout 3 (retail copies) that I may try...

In addition to Lanceor's good advice, you will probably need to learn using Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) or manually installing mods. Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) support for installing Oblivion mods is spotty. Generally it can handle simple mods (that would be trivial to install manually for example) but any mods requiring an installation script to select options won't work (a body mod like EVE HGEC Eyecandy Variants Expansion would be a good example). Start out with simple mods. Install one at a time and test in between. It's a bit confusing at first, but once you learn the jargon and get an idea behind some key concepts installing mods isn't rocket science.

Don't use NMM? Or just for Oblivion?

What should I use for Skyrim and Fallout 3?

Edited by AzureWinter

I don't follow Skyrim or Fallout 3 so I can't give a definite answer there. I believe those games and mods work much better than Oblivion though. Remember how old Oblivion is. Many of the still popular mods haven't been updated in well over two or three years (or longer) ... long before NMM was conceived. Use the tools for each game that work best for that game. For Oblivion that means OBMM, Wrye Bash and it's BAIN installer or manual. You can try installing mods with NMM, but expect to run into plenty of mods that won't install that way. To me it seems like more work figuring out what may or may not install with NMM. Read the install instructions that come with the mod and you'll do fine.