missing files in the data folder

swagedelic

i have been playing this game for a year now and quite recently i had changed my anti-virus to kaspersky... well kaspersky can be a pain and decides to troll me and blocked TESV.exe and so i tried to exclude skyrim files and i was able to access and run programs that run TESV.exe but as soon as the screen turns black it crashes me to the desktop. i soon found out, after uninstalling kaspersky, that my data files were empty.. tried solutions like the cache it didnt work(i still have the mods installed nothing has changed, they just wont show up) then i also tried the sound wave fix, the skyrimprefs (i know that it wont do anything but i checked anyways), the regestration, then the appsdata.. the appsdata seemed to have worked but i am still missing Skyrim and Update.esm in the data files... it starts with Dawnguard first instead of Skyrim then Update then Dawnguard..

If Kaspersky is blocking your Skyrim executable then it is probably infected. I'm not having such issues.

I seriously doubt that Kaspersky would delete any mods from your data folder.

If your mods won't "show up" then add "bEnableFileSelection=1" to the "[Launcher]" section of your "SkyrimPrefs.ini" in your "MY DOCUMENTS\MY GAMES\SKYRIM" folder.

"Skyrim.esm" and "Update.esm" are NOT supposed to show in your mods list, so nothing is wrong there.

If your game is crashing at startup then deactivate all your mods and make sure Skryim is updated to the latest version (1.8.151) through Steam.

Edited by steve40

it was all working perfectly but i installed ATTK mod and Kaspersky classifies it as having a Trojan Virus or something(somebody told me to get an update from Kaspersky so it would stop blocking that file but at the time i didnt know that) so then i went on the settings and made the steam folder(entire thing actually not just the steam apps) to the exclude rule... and now that my mods stopped showing.. i got all of the mods to show by going to the AppsData and rewriting the DLClist but Skyrim and the Update would not show.. and yes everything are all up to date even before i tried reinstalling it only but Skyrim.esm the only thing that shows up im still missing the update.esm so therefore it still crashes instantly upon running the program

skyrim.esm and update.esm should NOT be present in DLCList.txt, nor in plugins.txt.

They are not present in mine and my game runs perfectly.

Your game might be crashing because you have added those to your list, causing them to load twice.

Edited by steve40

ahh ok learned that the hard way hahah just reformatted the entire computer and first thing i did is install steam and skyrim.. well i have no clue what had happened because even NMM says skyrim.esm should be present.. it has seemed that skyrim.esm for me became unreadable? (Kaspersky must've done something to it or at least i did unknowingly) but reformatting helps and thanks for the help mate

• 2 weeks later...

it was all working perfectly but i installed ATTK mod and Kaspersky classifies it as having a Trojan Virus or something(somebody told me to get an update from Kaspersky so it would stop blocking that file but at the time i didnt know that) so then i went on the settings and made the steam folder(entire thing actually not just the steam apps) to the exclude rule... and now that my mods stopped showing.. i got all of the mods to show by going to the AppsData and rewriting the DLClist but Skyrim and the Update would not show.. and yes everything are all up to date even before i tried reinstalling it only but Skyrim.esm the only thing that shows up im still missing the update.esm so therefore it still crashes instantly upon running the program

Ouch ... C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Skyrim is where you will find the master lists for what mods are currently installed. I like to from time to time copy the one to the other just to keep the load order correct. Even if it says your loading mods in a order the one list here is the real load order and it can look different. Try looking at them ...

Btw, ATTK v5.0.1 is out and has no bug flags what so ever. final version.

Edited by Jason2112

• 2 months later...

The problem is in the registry.

go to start > run

type regedit in the box

for x64:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim

for x32:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim

if it doesn't exist, create it

Click installed path. If it doesn't exist; right-click> new string values and type "Instaled Path"

The value data will be wrong or empty. retype it (where your skyrim directory is located)

eg. C:\documents and settings\user\program files\skyrim