Long War mod discussion

johnnylump

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the readme -- to take bake a country you need to assault the alien base there. The first base mission is similar to vanilla. You need to build capture an outsider and build the skeleton key. The new thing is you also need to orbit a satellite over the captured country you want to attack the base in. All countries that are taken over generate an alien base.

I have manufactured the med kit but my medics cannot use it. Only one of my troopers can select it in the load out screen. Is there a limitation on using the med kits?

Not 100% sure if this would be the source of your issue, but First Aid Kits and Medikits are mutually exclusive. If a soldier has a First Aid Kit equipped then that soldier cannot equip a Medikit. Unequipping the First Aid Kit will allow equipping of a Medikit.

This is less than ideal but was pretty much the only way to get the First Aid Kit working. I haven't figured out a way to actually make perks trigger abilities (as in actively used ability icons). So both First Aid Kits and Medikits function pretty similarly, and trigger the same ability. The amount of healing/immunity to poison is determined by which item the soldier has. The logic if a soldier had both was impossible to resolve.

That was exactly the problem. I had to unequip the 1st aid kit completely. I was trying to replace the 1st aid kit with the medikit. Thank you.

Wanted to alert everyone that the newest beta of Long War v2.12b5 contains a major change to the underlying mechanism by which it is installed, put in place to enable MUCH easier modding. If it works right, you will no longer need modpatcher, xshape or resourcehacker (and in fact you shouldn't use them); instead, you can just make changes to the upks and defaultgamecore.ini directly.

The caveat is that I'm no installer guru, so please let me know if you have any issues getting it set up or making modifications.

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but when I try to install Long War on my clean install from Steam (and I have the "hosts" file change to keep XCom from internally updating), I get an "error @ copy" during the installation procedure.

Also, I am not sure if this is correct, but the XComGame.exe in the .../binaries/win32 folder is 0 bytes, which seems wrong to me.

But the logs.txt and other checks do indeed pass for installing.

I went ahead and tried running the game from Steam but it says it just "Steam failed to start the game (Unknown error code)".