Long War mod discussion

johnnylump

@MerchantMan21

I'm afraid what you are asking for is far more work than I care to do. I'm not going to custom-design mods for players or try to figure out how to implement a modular installation system, because many aspects of Long War rely on one another to function.

Two options for you:

* Use Toolboks. Some modders release their modifications as "modlets" than can be implemented piecemeal.

* There's a modding Long War subforum accessible through the mod's main page. Certain things can be easily edited via changes to DefaultGameCore.ini, including alien progression and mandary soldier rest duration.

Just a note that Long War is broke right now for anyone who has patched recently.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured as much, with what little experience I have modding, I could see it was a tall order. I certainly wasn't asking for you to do the brunt work or make individualized mods just for me, I imagine you're busy enough as is with the whole of the mod.

I was just wondering how much of the Long War data was inextricably interconnected, and what changes if any were simple enough to emulate myself.

I'm a third rate modder at best, but if what you're saying is that some of the things I'm looking for can be changed using the .ini files. Then you may have done all I needed.

I guess I will go check those subforums to see what can and can't be done then before I start complaining again.

At any rate perhaps I ought to try the mod, (when it is fixed that is) before I start trying to rip bits and pieces out that I only think I wouldn't like.

Thanks for the quick response, and again: awesome work! :D

Would it be at leastz be possible to get the Increased Squad Size mechanic to be an indiviual mod. I'M sorry if it already is, but i have not found it yet.

They are working on a similar project already actually in the R&D section, I've been following that thread. Apparently they are pretty close to being able to do it, not just for the EU but also for EW. They have the UI done, they are just working on getting the game to match up.

The one I'm really itching to see is the "lost countries reclamation" it seems like it would make for a much more interesting dynamic. All in all I'm really in awe of how far it seems Long War is ahead of the rest of the pack, as far as in depth modding. Shame though, if it were a bit easier to mod the game we might have a bunch of mods like this to choose from.

All hex in Long War is here

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/download/1000003414

That's Amineri's all countries contribute modlet, which I believe has its own topic on this (mod talk) forum.

I'm all but certain it's not the same in EW, however. Even if the decompiled code appears the same, the variable references and function calls need updating throughout the mod, so you would need to redo both the "before" and "after" code. And I'm not sure if the UI changes (in EU, in command1.upk) are still in the same place.

• 3 months later...

Sorry, we haven't posted the instructions, and the readme is accessible only once you install.

To install:
If you are upgrading from Beta 3 or earlier, you should verify back to an up-to-date vanilla install.
1. Make sure you have the latest .net framework and Java installed.
2. Run the installer.
3. When you select your path to install the mod, you should receive a warning that the directory already exists. If you didn't, have you may have missed a step.
4. Start the game once. You may receive a CTD error; this appears to be some aspect of the mod completing installation. Start it again, and it should run.
Installation notes:
1. This mod will overwrite several game files and likely render multiplayer unplayable until you uninstall.
2. We don't think it will work on Macs, although you are welcome to try and give us feedback.
3. The mod will not work properly on vanilla EW campaigns, so you'll need to start a new one. Campaigns are saved even if you uninstall, so you should be able to return to vanilla campaigns. Long War campaigns probably won't work well in vanilla.
4. If Firaxis / 2k issues any patches to vanilla XCOM, it will overwrite and disable Long War, and almost certainly make the mod unplayable until the modders are able to update it. Unfortunately, turning off automatic updates to the game in Steam, via the game menu / Properties / Updates tab, does not prevent patches from loading. Your savegames should be preserved, though.
5. If you want to use alternate game textures via Texmod, install them AFTER you fully install Long War.
6. If you install this mod over an existing version of Long War EW, you won't be able to uninstall back to vanilla; to do so, you'll have to go to Steam and use the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" option (under the Xcom game menu / Properties / Local Files tab) to restore your game to its original settings. You should also do this if something goes wrong with the uninstall.
7. If this is your first time playing Long War, you should hit ALT-F10 once at the beginning of the game (once the first mission is underway) to reset your map cycler.