⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Long War mod discussion

johnnylump

...still complaining about the thread in the wrong forums. If you want to complain, complain in the strategy forum. But LW is designed to be played as if it were Impossible difficulty.

I agree that some of the enemies are ungodly tough, but you can always win if you are sufficiently researched by that time. Most of the things you mention are related to enemy research, and the idea in LW is that all enemies should be close to the difficulty curve of the most recent one, so by the time you see Sectopods, most enemies are at least half as powerful. In addition, they are built to match your research, in LW research speed. I suspect you are still trying old strategies in the strategy layer. If you try the old satellite rush, you will lose. In addition, you need labs to boost your research speed.

But all of that is already in the 60 page long LW Strategy Thread.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went their and could not find any links to forums. Most of my post IS suggestions. No I am NOT trying anything at all to do with the unmodded game. I have North and South USA and Africa with satellites but lost Canada so the Interceptors are still 200 a go. BTW people struggling to survive this fascinating but ridiculously impossible mod has nothing to do with the old version. It simply needs tweaking a bit. As for trying to capture live aliens for research, when the arc thrower only has 1 charge that has half the % of stunning.....lmao

Edited by ElementUK

I really like to try this mod, but this makes no sense. Didnt you can see that pointing to that strategy is like imposing HOW you should play? Its not the way should be, nor at last on easier difficult (nor the hard one either, still, but there i wil not argue since i like to enjoy the game playing at slot pace.) Options to choose handicaps is the friendly mode to do it. Alas, why people cannot be more open mind and friendly...

I really like to try this mod, but this makes no sense. Didnt you can see that pointing to that strategy is like imposing HOW you should play? Its not the way should be, nor at last on easier difficult (nor the hard one either, still, but there i wil not argue since i like to enjoy the game playing at slot pace.) Options to choose handicaps is the friendly mode to do it. Alas, why people cannot be more open mind and friendly...

If one is having trouble, and one complains about their trouble (even in the form of critiquing the difficulty), I think they are asking for strategies. In that case, I think pointing them in the direction of the hundreds of posters who discussed the very same difficulties and the methods to overcome them is a appropriate solution. Granted, part of the reason he is complaining is that I suspect he is still in the EU/EW mindset, and really, EU has about as much in common with LW as EU did with the original game when it comes to overall strategy.

As for easier difficulty, LW is about as brutal as the original game in parts, and just as forgiving and unforgiving. No longer do you have to focus mass resources on your worries about countries leaving. No longer do you have to accept every mission. No longer does losing a battle mean you are losing the war. But no longer can 6 people take down an entire alien race with little to no rest. No longer are the aliens going to sit there and wait for you to finish your research before you attack their ship. They will get better, tougher, and scarier, and your job is to protect humanity from a superior enemy, using whatever tactics you deem effective, at all cost.

Edited by Krazyguy75

My game crashes at 6:56AM on April 26th, 2016.

The CTD doesn't seem to be triggered by any in-game events such as research, projects, or even soldier status because I tried changing as many variables as I could,

but the game still crashes at that exact time and date.

I can provide you with my save game file so you guys can take a look at it perhaps?

Let me know,

thanks.

@NeoBlue. Thanks for the offer, and normally I'd jump at it, but I'm finding 9a savegames aren't working with our current (B10) build, so I don't think it would do us much good.

Thank you for the reply,

do you, by any chance, have anything I can try to salvage my game at this point?

I sunk a good chunk of my time into this game and would hate to lose everything and start anew because my game keeps crashing!

(I'm usaing no other mods other than LW, and the only changes I made to the game file were the hotfixes to MEC weapons as per your instruction)

Edited by neoblue207

Do you have the Slingshot DLC?

It sounds as though there is a bad mission that is being triggered at that date/time. Missions are defined at the beginning of the month, so nothing that you do subsequently can change that. Both JL and I have all the DLC, so sometimes it's a little difficult for us to test that everything works on installs missing a particular DLC like Slingshot.

Also, after the game crashes you might go into the My Games/XCom - Enemy Within/XComGame/Logs and open the Launch.log file -- it's a basic text file so can be opened with any basic text editor. Scroll down to the bottom -- sometimes there are clues as to why CTDs happen.