[WIP] Commonwealth of Modders

jaysus

fact is that is one butt ugly rifle....

Half of its the textures? maybe it will look better in game with some bump.

The other problem is double barrals that look like there standard projectile rails, which then are attached to something that does look like some kinda energy gun.

Then you have the wood added.... it seems to out of place, and the gun seems like its made from only 2 peices of metal, no plates or segments found on normal guns.

This isnt a bad design idea in and of itself, but it makes the gun look organic/alien and then its using metal and wood textures.

Nothing by itself thats there is BAD, but add themtogether and its like pouring tammato sauce on icecream.

Break up the 2 segments into smaller segments, swap the wood for something rubberish(I had trouble trying to get anything to look rubberish myself on my blaster cannon)

Drop the 2 barrals for say, one barral thats been oblonged

I did a quick model http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Pho...rent=gunexp.jpg

Shows an idea for a more energy type barral and a bit more plates and stuff.. the top handle bar made it feel alot like a m-16, so I left it out, but if thats what you were going for nothing wrong with it.

Changed the energy clip to a tube like what the alien blaster uses.

Its a real damn quick model its just to show you what I ment.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fact is that is one butt ugly rifle....

Half of its the textures? maybe it will look better in game with some bump.

The other problem is double barrals that look like there standard projectile rails, which then are attached to something that does look like some kinda energy gun.

Then you have the wood added.... it seems to out of place, and the gun seems like its made from only 2 peices of metal, no plates or segments found on normal guns.

This isnt a bad design idea in and of itself, but it makes the gun look organic/alien and then its using metal and wood textures.

Nothing by itself thats there is BAD, but add themtogether and its like pouring tammato sauce on icecream.

Break up the 2 segments into smaller segments, swap the wood for something rubberish(I had trouble trying to get anything to look rubberish myself on my blaster cannon)

Drop the 2 barrals for say, one barral thats been oblonged

I did a quick model http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Pho...rent=gunexp.jpg

Shows an idea for a more energy type barral and a bit more plates and stuff.. the top handle bar made it feel alot like a m-16, so I left it out, but if thats what you were going for nothing wrong with it.

Changed the energy clip to a tube like what the alien blaster uses.

Its a real damn quick model its just to show you what I ment.

This is better than the other dudes troll comment, but it's still a matter of opinion. People who state things as facts when they are merely opinion are idiots and should be shot in the leg so that when you see someone walking funny, you know to avoid them.

The fact people on nexus get there asses chwed off for saying anything bad about anyones work is bloody got to stop, its entirely counterprodutive to the actual creation of betterwork, I dont just say this as someone who uses mods, but as someone who has made one, I know my work could be improved and yet almost no one has made any comments on it about how to do that, they all seem to scared too, everyone votes 9 or 10 even when things dont seem to deserve it or could be better.

Someone asked for an opinion, I gave it, I wasnt nasty, I wasnt mean, and I was constructive, and even took time to quickly model an example of how I thought his work could be improved.

Oddly enough people dont do this for no reason, they do it out of a desire to help someone, in this case improve there work. I could have happy spent 10 mins it took me to look, think,model,upload the picture, and post. Time is money, I could have done plenty of things that would have benifited me solely.

Also a little peice of logic you seem to have missed, keeping in mind that we are talking art and athsetics, and by such nature defaults to personal opinion and due to indervidual interpretation, what I stated was both opinion and to me fact.

lol guys calm down all of you :)

i must admit that id have found it nicer if youd have said "in my opinion the rifle design is buttugly" instead of '"its buttugly" but thats just nitpicking by my side anyway...

and im actually quite happy that someone finally says somin apart from "hell thats godlike" or "damn thats ugly" but actually shows some reasoning...

now to the core:

1st off... your other design aint bad... but it has a major flaw namely the new barrel thing... it just doesnt work at all... a laser needs a tube of some length to create the light bundles and you just donthave such a thing...

but i agree that the basic barrel design could be better

bumpmap

it has one lol... its not that extreme but you can notice it at the edges of the render where the light is very intense

wood + metal

i choose wood since this is a material available at all times in opposition to polymers which are prolly scarce in the wasteland

and i like the feel of it... screw plastics! :P

segments

i think i see where youre getting at, i always have the same feeling when i create somin, "more segments!" but i see no reason for them... you could easily cast the whole thing out of the few pieces and get a more robuts rifle... take the AWP rifle as an example

handle

ya actually im kinda bound to the G36, M16 and AK47 styles in my mind when i create rifles, nevertheless a carry handle is an important tool for every adventurer imo :D

color

dunno... thats why i posted it... but green????

thx for the critique btw...

Only solid state lasers would need a barral(and that barral would likely be back in side for protection, and it could infact be any shape you wish, also as I said nothing wrong with the 2 parts, however from an engineering perspective if there made from two diffrent allows as they are shown to be, they would expand at diffrent rates, and the lack of seperate plates would cause one to buckle the other, which would mean the barral could be bent, and if its solid state, the crystal shattered.

But really if your bascily happy with the way it is, keep it.

BTW.. rifle butt.. butt ugly...

I promise not to try anymore jokes :P

a different alloy doesnt change the structure of the core iron molecules and therefore has only a slight impact on deformation through heat or other environmental reasons

but its a valid point - originally the top should have been rubber but i dropped that for the handle...

Its not really important to your gun, I just pointed out out because it hit me immedelty such a long single metal peice on something that would get very hot(laser)

But to disagree with you...

The structure of the iron in the alloy can be changed by other elements added, this is how alloys actually work to increase strength etc.

Examples are

nickel iron alloys which are used for most eletronic equipment because they have a rather low expansion coefficent, your hd is an example where very low expansion alloys have to be used in the parts or the hd can end up buggered all to hell. The lattice inturption of the nickel helps counteract the normal lattice thermal expansitivty of the iron.

On the other end high carbon and stainless steels have high expansion coeffiences over normal iron and are used to make thermostats.

Even artillery have to take into account how hot there guns are when they are fireing to work out friction on the round as it leaves the barral so they can hit there target.

The blackbird had to be made from loosely fitted sheets of titanium plating, that once they heated up formed a normal smooth surface, and untill this happend the blackbird would leak fuel like crazy.

Had the plane been made out of a single peice it would have buckled the first time it heated up due to air friction.

uhh... damn youre right lol... i guess i mixed that up quite badly :D

the german word for it can be quite misleading... (ya thats a good excuse!)

------------

update:

THE GECK IS A MATING FEMALE DOG!!!!

why?

maybe cause the whole AI thing is kinda screwing my mind...

im trying since a few weeks now to get that sentry in front of the native camp to follow the player to the colonel... well... it never worked so i gave it a new try yesterday... till now... 10h+... does it work now?

NOOOOOO!!!!

and i tried basicly every bloody option this wannabe CS offers... package conditions, result scripts, begin scripts, scripted token items, token conditions and all that in dozens of combinations...

i mean i get every damn package to work, my companions have no problem and neither does the rest of the crew (xcept for that shoot at target package...) but not dear old Hatchet the sentry... the love...

finally i had enough of the stupid honk and punched him in the face... to my surprise instead of putting up a fight this retard and his fellow natives starts running away! i mean hes set to aggressive and foolhardy... the navmesh is perfect the natives aint fleeing, they just run away and attack from time to time just to run away again... so what the bloody heck is wrong with those natives? is that supposed to be some kind of guerilla tactics? i mean cmon would be great if the game relaized that im the super duper angel who could kill a deathclaw within an eyeblink and should therefore get fought by nasty means, but i doubt that it does...

so after i wasted my damn night for this kind of pointless crap which didnt even teach me anything i thought "lets add a voice to the robot..."

well bad idea... he just doesnt say a word... dunno why... i did everything as usual... wav, 44khz, 16bit, mono... always works... not tonight

a that was really a productive shift i guess....

sigh lol...

Hast du das Ganze mit deiner ESP Arbeitsdatei oder mit der ESM versucht?

Hab nämlich mal gelesen, dass Navmeshs in ESPs nicht richtig funktionieren.

Das hat nix mit 1.5 zutun, sondern generel.

Ansonsten nehme ich mal an, dass dein Navmesh finalized ist?

Also du diese grünen Linien an den Cell-Enden siehst?

Manchmal wird der Navmesh finalized ohne die passenden Cover Edges,

dann ists finalized, aber ohne grünen Linien, dann klappts auch nicht.

Ich hatte die Weglauf Probleme auch hin und wieder und es lag IMMER am Navmesh.

Naja, falls du da alles richtig gemacht hast, was ich nicht glaube :whistling:,

weis ich auch nicht weiter.

AI Packs sind auch nicht so mein Ding, aber frag am Besten mal Arcoolka von The Settler,

wenn sich irgendwer mit AI Packs auskennt, dann sicher er.

Gruß

ps. sorry for german speaking, if you want understand it: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lang=de&lp=ende&search=