ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Daedra, Daedric Lords, Dremora, Soultrap....

Sucrilhus

Whether a daedric prince is evil or not is really based on your perspective and how each one comes off during their respective quests.

Meridia is kinda cryptic, but it's very obvious she's adverse to undead and necromancy and that's something I can get behind. Azura is about fate and destiny and she treats you really well during the quest to retrieve her star, even saying she'll protect your destiny so no one messes with it. I can get behind that. Sanguine feels way more fun-loving, to me, than he probably is and any "damages" you cause during your drunken escapades can be fixed as you progress through his quest. I'd probably go drinking with him again. Sheogorath is chaos incarnate, and while you've got just as good odds he's out to make your life hell, he's a pretty cool guy AND helps you cure the mind of a historically infamous nutjob. He's okay in my books.

Malacath, Hircine, Clavicus Vile, and Nocternal are not so bad. Malacath's interaction with you is short, to-the-point, and done once you finish helping that tribe, Hircine is a good sport regardless of how you finish his quest, Clavicus Vile isn't so bad (though he acts kinda like a spoiled child), and Nocternal is slightly more tolerable because of the wonderful mods that remove selling your soul to her to progress through the Thieve's Guild quests. Hermeus Mora WAS tolerable, until I read some info about the main story of the Dragonborn DLC. Now I just don't like him or Peryite, but not as much as I hate Boethia, Mehrunes Dagon, Mephala, Molag Bal, Namira, and Vaermina; they can all die in a fire for all I care about them.

Malacath, Hircine, Clavicus Vile, and Nocternal are not so bad.

What do you mean Malacath is not so bad? I thought that was the most obviously good Daedric quest. Come to think of it, you probably mean Malacath himself, since it is he who is cursing the tribe lol.

What do you mean Malacath is not so bad? I thought that was the most obviously good Daedric quest. Come to think of it, you probably mean Malacath himself, since it is he who is cursing the tribe lol.

I have mixed feelings about Malacath. He's most definitely not as bad as the ones I really hate and the quest you do is one a good character would reasonably do, but his interactions with you just feel a bit too cut-and-dry, I don't think you get enough time to really enjoy him. Maybe I'd enjoy him more on an Orc character, I dunno.

My post is actually 3 questions.

1) What's the difference between a Daedra and a Dremora?

Every Dremora is a Daedra but not every Daedra is a Dremora? Is that it?

2) Is it true that every Daedra is wicked? Azura's Star quest gives me that impression.... but Azura her self seem good to me... Meridia too, for example...

But according to the Vigillants of Stendar, Daedra are supposed to be completely avoided.

Should a good character completely ignore those creatures then?

3) How evil is to soul trap someone/something to use for your own purposes.

You're destroying the after-life of that creature just to fufill your power.

My question is: Is there such a thing as a Good Enchanter?

I'll number my answers to correspond with your questions.

1.Every entity in the Daedric realms is a Daedra. Dremora are a specific type of Daedra in servitude to the Daedric Prince Mehrunes Dagon.

2.It's better if you don't think of them in Western religious notions. The, Aedra and Daedra relationship most closely resembles the Hindu Pantheon, Where the Daedra would represent the Ashura. They aren't necessarily wicked so much as they operate on a different view of existence than mortals and the Aedra. They're more chaotic neutral to the Aedra's lawful neutral. This is not to say that they don't ask their followers to do horrible things, or do horrible things to their followers, It's just that to a Daedric Prince, the things they ask don't seem horrible.

Whether you choose to follow them or not depends entirely on the type of good character you are playing. You can easily justify a lot of the actions you take as an agent of the Daedra as being the right course of action without being an evil player.

3.It depends on your sense of justice. Is trapping a murdering bandit in a hellish domain where they are doomed to wander for all eternity a just course of action for all of the murders they've committed? I don't personally have a problem with doing this to people who are obviously evil. It's karma coming back to bite them in the ass hardcore for their wickedness. This is probably the closest you can get to sending someone to hell, as they generally tend to end up in the afterlife of the deity they pledged their worship to in life, and there doesn't seem to be much of a distinction between good deeds and bad deeds when deciding whether they get in, it's more related to how closely they followed the doctrines of the God they worshiped. For example, Sovngarde is filled with bold and proud Nordic heroes. However most of these heroes were killed in war against another race, some that they actually started.

So, if you're cool with that kind of punishment, then it's just icing on the cake that you use the souls of the wicked to increase your own power so that you're better able to destroy the wicked.

Edited by formalrevya

Shad and Formal,

Good points. I changed my mind about that.

Formal,

First, thanks for addressing each question in such a clear way.

And about that last part of your comment. An infinite punishment for a finite transgression sounds incredibly evil to me. It's plain wrong. (Yeah... I think the entire "going to hell" concept of Christianism isn't really ethical). I'll have "soul trapping" as an evil thing.

I'll definitely avoid trapping black souls.... I'll start trapping white souls though.... It has been so long since I played an enchanter... It's more a decision gameplay-wise. But ethically speaking, I still think it's wrong.

Edited by Sucrilhus

Shad and Formal,

Good points. I changed my mind about that.

Formal,

First, thanks for addressing each question in such a clear way.

And about that last part of your comment. An infinite punishment for a finite transgression sounds incredibly evil to me. It's plain wrong. (Yeah... I think the entire "going to hell" concept of Christianism isn't really ethical). I'll have "soul trapping" as an evil thing.

I'll definitely avoid trapping black souls.... I'll start trapping white souls though.... It has been so long since I played an enchanter... It's more a decision gameplay-wise. But ethically speaking, I still think it's wrong.

Well, here's the thing to keep in mind. A black soul gem and a grand soul gem, can both only contain a grand soul. So there's absolutely no difference in the power of your enchantment, or the refill the soul provides. the only real difference between the two is that a grand soul gem can't capture the soul of any men or mer races.

from a purely mechanic aspect, black soul gems are the best of the bunch because of versatility, but from an RP standpoint you can still have a viable enchanter who abhors the use of Black soul gems without gimping your character.

Happy RPing to you.