The one millionth "I need some advice picking new bits!" p

So, Vindey here. I've been building a new machine lately by progressively replacing all the gubbins in my existing on until none of the original gubbins are left and I have a completely new machine. The last steps are the Motherboard and the CPU. The CPU is an Intel I-7 940, punches out a decent but hardly spectacular 2.93 GHZ, and is a quadcore. The mobo is a now half a decade old X-58 Gigabyte that after years of loyal service needs to be replaced. The budget would be roughly 1000 USD overall, since the objective is to finish the machine so it doesn't need upgrading for another 5 years pending nothing drastic changes in gaming. Speed target is for nostalgia's sake, the original Crysis.

Basic information:

Case: Cooler-Master HAF 9X; there's acres of unused space as it was designed for tri-SLI and still has enough space for several fans and widgets.

GPU: EVGA BLACK OPS GTX580, single. I'm happy with the 580, it packs a considerable punch for the price, and has been gloriously reliable through some brutaly hot days.

RAM: Three Corsair Dominator sticks.

HDDs: 2X 500GB conventional HDDs even older than the mobo.

So going off your post, you just want a new CPU and Mobo.

I can offer a real nice value with grunt setup, courtesy of my friendly household tech head.

This mobo: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_1183&products_id=21537

And this CPU: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_346_1184&products_id=20138

Ivy Bridge i5, socket 1155. Total cost is about 434 bucks.

Edited by CommanderCrazy