AMD unveils 8000 series GPU's

Games on consoles are usually but a bleak shadow of their PC version. It may be called "Crysis", but it looks like every other console game.

These don't even look like the same game. At the very least you'd think they are different locations. But don't be fooled, look at the curve in the road. These screenshots, slight difference in camera angle apart, are supposed to represent the exact same location.

I'd say those two pictures look relatively identical, unless you're like, going to focus on a still picture for 10 mins. what is seen when playing on 360 is a motion picture (!), you can't quite tell the difference when they're actually moving. the Change in color mood is probably because of the software-hardware differences between PC-360 when the pictures were taken for comparison.

you cant be serious in that you think they look even close to identical? can you not see the difference in detail on everything? there is smoke and fires and particles in the PC version. they are probably there to some degree on the xbox version, but no where near the detail. there is no grass in the xbox pic, only green ground. the color difference is because the PC has fog/haze and dust whereas the xbox has none of this detail.

:facepalm

if that was a vid you'd be right. but a pic can't do much justice in scenes that aren't the exact same. those particles could be caused by a user's previous ingame action unlike the 360 user. that's just sluggish assumption. my argument didn't narrow down to crysis. I was writing figuratively.

can you please cut this cheesy pointless debate pissing contest so we can get back on topic?

the 1080p milestone is already conquered, Literally or figuratively. The UHD tvs are not just annonced as LG Electronics began selling the first flat panel Ultra HD display (pretty much) in the United States with a resolution of 3840 × 2160 on october 2012 with an insane price

That's by far not the first 4K (or Ultra HD) display on sale. 4K monitors have been available for about 12 years by now, starting with IBM T220. It's pretty small though. But for a few years you could buy a large selection of 56" displays with 3840x2160, or Sony's 4K projector. The latter isn't even very expensive, only about a 40% premium over 1080p models of the same quality.

LG isn't the first or even the tenth to produce such displays. Only in the first hundred. With any movie from the past couple years, there is a good chance that it has been mastered on a 4K display.

So this resolution isn't anything new at all. The only thing new about it is that they agreed on the "UHD" label and started marketing it to the general public.

So i'd say reaching 4K UHD 2160p is a close and 8K UHD 4320p a distant but not unreachable possibility for nextgen consoles.

Not for consoles.

They are not even going near 4K. The processing power just isn't there. Maybe one of them will support 4K resolution in 2D. That is display some sort of a desktop in 4K, nothing more. A slim chance that one will support 4K video playback. Nothing as far as gaming is concerned. In terms of gaming resolution, the goal for the coming generation is 1080p.

As for 8K, I don't think consoles will ever support it. We're looking at 2014-2015 for next-gen consoles and maybe 2022-2025 for the generation after that. Since 4K is that big a step up from 1080p, it's not certain that rich 3D console games will run 4K even in 2020s. I'm sure these consoles will have 4K video playback, but for games... Perhaps low-demanding games with 2D gameplay, stuff like "cut the rope" in Ultra HD.

Not Battlefield style FPS games, they'll be sticking with 1080p due to increased demand for processing power per pixel. Although I wouldn't discount the possibility for "cheap" 4K. Maybe luma in 4K, hue and chroma in 2K. Or a 4K antialiasing technique where an image is rendered in 2K with edges in 4K, but then instead of downscaling the edges to 2K, the rest of the image will be upscaled to 4K. With very good implementation the perceived resolution of such an image should be comparable to a native 2560x1440 render.

Once again we're talking about the generation after the next here, i.e. early 2020s, not the next.

I'd say those two pictures look relatively identical, unless you're like, going to focus on a still picture for 10 mins. what is seen when playing on 360 is a motion picture (!), you can't quite tell the difference when they're actually moving.

You can easily tell the difference, moving or not. Actually it's easier to tell in motion due to 30 fps framerate.

The images come from a comparison here:

http://pikigeek.com/2011/09/13/crysis-remastered-pc-vs-xbox-360-screenshot-comparison/

It's said that the debris just isn't there in the console version, but is there on PC.

Oh and Dude from what I can squeeze out of your posts, no, I didn't live under a Rock in the last two decades and suddenly start talking hardware. I custom built my own PC at age 10 (thanks to dad for the trust :D), and have been tinkering (or reading) hardware ever since.

Didn't mean to be condescending. But you have to understand where I'm coming from, my computing experience hasn't been on the consumption side alone. So it's more often than not that I happen to have some points of reference for the subject.

There's a suggestion of them upscaling to 4K much like they upscale to 1080p now, this generation they've fooled enough people into thinking they've been gaming in full HD, why not pull the same stunt again? These machines just won't have the power to do 4K properly and why would they? 4K sets won't be seen in homes in large enough numbers to warrant the extra cost for a very long time.