Crash While Loading a Save That's in Combat

AlucardDracula77

Hello Forum Nexus users.

As the title states, I'm currently experiencing a problem that's rather odd for me, as it's the type I haven't actually gone through before. I've troubleshooted many CTDs from Morrowind to Skyrim, but this is rather unique in that I don't know what could be the cause of it.

So here's the situation, explained by example: I go to a fort with 2 bandits hanging out around the outside walls. I save right before combat begins. I kill one bandit, and while in combat, I save. I am then killed by the 2nd bandit. This goes on for a while, me reloading to try and kill the stronger, 2nd bandit. Then, I crash. No big deal, I'll just load up the save. The problem? Even though I was able to reload while in game, I crash when I load the save in which I was in combat. I try the other save, the one before I entered into combat, and it works. I decided to test whether or not being in combat caused the crashes. So I saved before fighting a higher level enemy, and then I saved while in combat with said enemy. The same thing happened. I was able to reload, whilst in game, to the save in which I was in combat, but I could not load it from the main menu, whether using the "Continue" or "Load" options.

I know it's probably a fairly common bug, but I haven't actually had this happen to me before, and searching for it only brings up posts on somewhat similar but different problems (They crash on loading any save, or a specific one relating to a location, etc.).

Attached will be my load order. I used BOSS to sort them all out, I used the BOSS log to delete all of the unnecessary files that would cause CTDs on start-up and to download the necessary files to make others work, I used TES4Edit to clean up all of the mods that actually needed cleaning, I used Wrye Bash to create a Bashed Patch, and I created a new game. I'm currently using the latest versions of BOSS, Wrye Bash, and TES4Edit.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm talking about regular saves, not Streamline saves, auto-saves, or quicksaves, just the old fashion "Go into menu and save a new file" type of save.

Edit 2: I actually forgot to put this in. Thank you Striker879 for reminding me. I can reload that save, the one that is in combat, while the game itself is still running, but when I try loading that save after exiting to desktop, and using the menu, it crashes.

Update: I've managed to narrow the crashing down to it being outside. So if I am in combat, while indoors, and I load that save, it will not crash. On the other-hand, if I load save, while I am in combat OUTDOORS, it will crash.

Update 2: So it seems my update was incorrect. I can now load into combat, from the main menu, outdoors and indoors. This is very baffling, and I don't know what could be the cause of it. I'd have to wager it may be Supreme Magicka, or its patch for Deadly Reflex, as I am using Deadly Reflex 5. I did do, whoever, some things to see if I could potentially fix the problem: I uninstalled Streamline; I made sure to rebuild the bashed Patch after uninstalling Streamline; I used the 4gb patch for the Oblivion.exe; I set my HDR to off and bloom to on, as HDR messes with OBGE.

During the troubleshooting, I did crash on one save that was in combat, but so far my other saves, while in combat, seem to be working. Unfortunately, I do not know if my actions increased the stability of the game, or it sorted itself out after loading an earlier save. I will update this post if I come across what I perceive to be the solution.

Edited by AlucardDracula77

Hmmm ... I would have thought the other way around, as it's recommended to exit to the desktop before loading a save. Don't have much experience with 'during combat' saves as I only ever save while doing boring stuff like standing in a road or outside a city gate.

Are you exiting the game to desktop and then trying to load the 'in-combat' save?

Yes. While I can reload the save that is in combat when the game itself is still running, if I exit to desktop and try to reload it from the main menu, it crashes about...1/4th in of the loading bar.

It sounds like something in the game cache is not being saved -- probably quite rightly -- when you're in combat, hence the problem once you quit the current game and try to re-load. It is never a good idea to save a game during combat, in *any* game. Save often, and save before (if you know it's coming), but never save *during* combat.

I used to play with the music turned way down so you couldn't hear it. Since I've started to play with it turned up to normal you know when combat is about to start by the music change. I still don't save then, but then again my guy is mostly a tank once I get to level five or six (kuertee's Magicka-based enchantment limits to the rescue).

Hmmm ... I would have thought the other way around, as it's recommended to exit to the desktop before loading a save. Don't have much experience with 'during combat' saves as I only ever save while doing boring stuff like standing in a road or outside a city gate.

I do save quite often, fortunately, and your advice is appreciated. I wanted to know if there may be some way of fixing this issue, as it's a habit of mine to save during combat against a rather difficult opponent (I'm using FCOM). I wanted to wait off on continuing to play Oblivion, but I can live with not saving in combat, especially since I have streamsave.

Thank you you 2 for the replies; while I will still see if anyone can reply with a solution, I'll go ahead and continue to play, albeit a bit more cautiously, ;).