Req. Conventional Weapons

SecondxPlace

i think putting all of these guns into the game would be a good idea but, as zwiq was saying they're bot going to look the best, however there might be a way around that POSSIBLE SPOILER if you went around in the museum of history and took information off the non-locked computer in the corner it says that a bunch of old firearms were being lent to the museum to be put on display for a period of time just a few months before the bombs hit so that might have been encouragement or not but either way its a way to work it in. also i'd like to see a groza oc14 put into the game because i absolutely love it (no idea why)http://afwweb.orconhosting.net.nz/stalkernz/wpns/stalker_groza.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that much, but that's not the point. Requests for say an m4a1 or g36 seem to get dropped cold, and I can't figure out why there seems to be little to no interest. Especially since something like the barrett .50 get's 17 pages and that wasn't developed until the mid 90's. (I think)

I feel your pain about the M4, even though they had the M733 back in 'Nam (I think they did). I am helping Asonofashadow make one right now, and I have seen another model being developed in a Screenie earlier.

There's no M16 or M4 yet because that weapon's operation doesn't come anywhere close to matching any of the existing animations for FO3, specifically in the reloading animations. Adding new animations seems to be very difficult to impossible as the GECK doesn't address animations at all from what I understand.

That aside, as far as I know the M733 was either a flash in the pan or it is exclusively a figment of airsoft imagination because I've never once seen any kind of reference to any "M733" in any armory documentation I've seen in my service with the US Army. I have, however, seen documentation on maintenance and parts for XM177's and XM177E2's, which were the versions issued sometimes in Vietnam.

For all intents and purposes the XM177 and any other short M16 variants have been more or less completely replaced by the M4 and M4A1 - probably because there are huge reliability problems caused with any M16 system when you shorten the barrel and gas system, and it gets worse as the barrel gets shorter and shorter - hence the M4's 14.5in barrel length, and the absence of anything shorter. The M4 is still affected by this tendency which is why I prefer to carry a full length M16A2 or A4 whenever I have a choice, in addition to the help with accuracy at longer ranges from the longer sight radius.

Zwig - guns would be precious, precious things in the wasteland, and while I don't think any would be 'new in box' condition, I also doubt that all of them would be beat-up patched together trash. People tend to be careful about banging guns around anyway, let alone loaded ones and let alone a gun whose function your life would depend on.

Worn spots in the finishes, sure. Mad-max beat up garbage? not likely in most cases after all I've seen, Even after 200 years.

r4y30n - Saying that the M14 and M1A look similar to the G3 is quite a stretch, the G3 has a pistol grip vs the M14's traditional stock, plus the barrel profiles are extremely different. Also, remember that the G3 was only issued with wood furniture very early on in its existence (though its older and much rarer cousin the CETME usually came with wood) so the vast majority of all G3's made anywhere in the world all had green or black plastic furniture. Beth screwed that up quite a bit.

The Wildey looks very cool and very post-modern ray-gun 50's. Though they are extremely rare, I can see why it would be appealing for Fallout. But considering the ease of adding another semiauto pistol entirely it would be a straightforward mod that would not require replacing any particular gun in the game - just gotta find a modeling ninja to whip up a UV of it and then have another ninja skin it.

Ursakar - I agree that it'd be cool to see some bullpups in the game, but the problems with adding new animations that are keeping all the M16/M4 family of weapons shelved is just as true for any bullpup weapons, perhaps even more so.

To be honest, I think the railing against firearms that are too modern, based on canon or the 'feel' of the game, is a pile of cow droppings.

Fallout 2 had, from the top of my head, the Pancor Jackhammer and CAWS - both of which never even entered production in real life - and the P90, which was developed in the 80's. I just don't effing get the animosity. Particularly when mods are completely optional.

I know that much, but that's not the point. Requests for say an m4a1 or g36 seem to get dropped cold, and I can't figure out why there seems to be little to no interest. Especially since something like the barrett .50 get's 17 pages and that wasn't developed until the mid 90's. (I think)

I feel your pain about the M4, even though they had the M733 back in 'Nam (I think they did). I am helping Asonofashadow make one right now, and I have seen another model being developed in a Screenie earlier.

There's no M16 or M4 yet because that weapon's operation doesn't come anywhere close to matching any of the existing animations for FO3, specifically in the reloading animations. Adding new animations seems to be very difficult to impossible as the GECK doesn't address animations at all from what I understand.

That aside, as far as I know the M733 was either a flash in the pan or it is exclusively a figment of airsoft imagination because I've never once seen any kind of reference to any "M733" in any armory documentation I've seen in my service with the US Army. I have, however, seen documentation on maintenance and parts for XM177's and XM177E2's, which were the versions issued sometimes in Vietnam.

For all intents and purposes the XM177 and any other short M16 variants have been more or less completely replaced by the M4 and M4A1 - probably because there are huge reliability problems caused with any M16 system when you shorten the barrel and gas system, and it gets worse as the barrel gets shorter and shorter - hence the M4's 14.5in barrel length, and the absence of anything shorter. The M4 is still affected by this tendency which is why I prefer to carry a full length M16A2 or A4 whenever I have a choice, in addition to the help with accuracy at longer ranges from the longer sight radius.

Zwig - guns would be precious, precious things in the wasteland, and while I don't think any would be 'new in box' condition, I also doubt that all of them would be beat-up patched together trash. People tend to be careful about banging guns around anyway, let alone loaded ones and let alone a gun whose function your life would depend on.

Worn spots in the finishes, sure. Mad-max beat up garbage? not likely in most cases after all I've seen, Even after 200 years.

r4y30n - Saying that the M14 and M1A look similar to the G3 is quite a stretch, the G3 has a pistol grip vs the M14's traditional stock, plus the barrel profiles are extremely different. Also, remember that the G3 was only issued with wood furniture very early on in its existence (though its older and much rarer cousin the CETME usually came with wood) so the vast majority of all G3's made anywhere in the world all had green or black plastic furniture. Beth screwed that up quite a bit.

The Wildey looks very cool and very post-modern ray-gun 50's. Though they are extremely rare, I can see why it would be appealing for Fallout. But considering the ease of adding another semiauto pistol entirely it would be a straightforward mod that would not require replacing any particular gun in the game - just gotta find a modeling ninja to whip up a UV of it and then have another ninja skin it.

Ursakar - I agree that it'd be cool to see some bullpups in the game, but the problems with adding new animations that are keeping all the M16/M4 family of weapons shelved is just as true for any bullpup weapons, perhaps even more so.

You realize that this is a game right? and what's with you do you stalk every req. for 'modern' weapons so you can shoot it down. Jesus.

You realize that this is a game right? and what's with you do you stalk every req. for 'modern' weapons so you can shoot it down. Jesus.

Maybe I'm just trying to help derail some of the huge misconceptions that exist in the gaming community with some real-world experience. Its one thing when its understood to be 'just a game' but people are taking so much from these games and passing it all off as fact.

Take a few cents out of my post and move on, or don't and stay willfully ignorant. Your choice. I'm not here because I want a bunch of people worshipping me as some gun god, I'd just like to see the facts set straight and if you're not interested in what I have to say you are more than welcome to ignore my posts. :)

Personally, I'm fascinated that people keep asking for the same damn guns over and over again and never bother to search for the countless existing threads asking for the same damn guns.

i agree, ive had at least 10 people pm me asking me to put an m4 ingame. no offense, but its getting kinda annoing.

ive stopped posting in threads like this because no matter how many times i say its not possibility yet, a new one sprouts up.

I dunno, I certainly wouldn't mind having a Chinese Type 79 sniper rifle in game; it could even use the Chicom assault rifle animations.

You could do the version chambered in .308 so there'd be no having to make a different projectile type.

I also wouldn't mind seeing, say, a .22 Golden Boy or some other lever action rifle to replace or supliment the BB gun. Lincoln's Repeater actually uses the right animations for this.

And maybe a .22 bolt-action to supplement the hunting rifle. Low on stopping power and range, but high on limb crippling and crit multipliers.

There's a lot of guns that could go in that I think would be "canon-safe" while significantly adding to the arsenal.

I'm not so hot on the idea of adding ZOMG SUPAR TACTICAL M-4 SOCOM AND USP AND ZOMG P-90 stuff; I'd rather see more weapons like lever rifles or .22's, revolvers or SKS's (Which nothing has the right animations for, so I can kiss that one goodbye); stuff that you could find anywhere in America and that so many of them are around that they'd surely survive a nuclear war.

Besides, every friggin' game which has come out for the last couple years had as a damn M-16/M-4 variant, and a Desert Eagle. How about a little creativity, eh?

Personally, I'd like to see more original ideas, but while an M4 / M16 variant certainly isn't at the top of my list, I'm sure a lot of people would be pretty happy with one even if it didn't have exactly the correct animations. Then when / if it became possible to correct this, you could just release an update. I can relate to the perfectionists, trust me. But sometimes it's better to have an imperfect version than nothing at all.

And really, in a game where you have nuclear-powered cars, supermutants, and laser pistols, it's obviously not based on strict reality. The alternate history allows for a lot of leeway when it comes to fitting the theme. What about making bastardized fantasy versions of those weapons that can't be made completely accurately that fit your animation options? The theme should afford you plenty of creative license.

Archived