I'm having dropped sound problems.

RepeatRepeater

Spec wise that Asus card is comparable to the Auzentechs I picked up with the exception of the Creative X-Fi chipset (the page I looked at on it says 'ASUS AV200 High-Performance Sound Processor' but that will just be someone else's chipset rebranded by Asus ... no telling whose).

About the only suggestion I can make regarding DirectX is to run the Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag.exe on WinXP ... not sure what it would be on Win 7/8, if it still exists).

Also, just a side issue, but is there any chance that it's a DirectX problem and not the sound card per se?

No. Oblivion was made years ago, when very old versions of DirectX were the order of the day, and Oblivion ran as well then as it does now. It's your on-board sound card.

Also, just now, I ran into an enormous missing space of lava on the corner of a gate map. I could see one edge of it, and I managed to swim into it. Since it was just empty space, I floated in it without burning up.

That sounds like maybe you just reach the each of the developed worldsapce, can you specify which Oblivion wolrd your are taling about, wan which corner by compass direction?

Here is a page listing the oblvion worlds to whcih gate link

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Planes_of_Oblivion

Also, just now, I ran into an enormous missing space of lava on the corner of a gate map. I could see one edge of it, and I managed to swim into it. Since it was just empty space, I floated in it without burning up.

That sounds like maybe you just reach the each of the developed worldsapce, can you specify which Oblivion wolrd your are taling about, wan which corner by compass direction?

Here is a page listing the oblvion worlds to whcih gate link

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Planes_of_Oblivion

I could see lava beyond it. It was a perfectly cubic trench, essentially.

Update: I've installed the Xonar DS, and now it won't even load my test saves without crashing. I started a new character, but when I heard the voice of the guy in the other cell taunting me, it crashed with the last millisecond of his voice permanently looping, giving me a kind of buzzing sound that persists even though Oblivion is closed.

Update: I fixed the crash by enabling GX mode, but the lost sound problem persists.

Edited by RepeatRepeater

Where you able to get 64 bit drivers from the Asus site or are you just using whatever Win 7 picked when it discovered your new hardware?

- Edit - Something else that comes to mind is letting the game rediscover your hardware. Rename Oblivion.ini to Oblivionini.old and start the game as far as the menu. Exit and start again. You may need to reset your video settings. If it works refer to your Oblivionini.old for any other ini edits you want to transfer over to the new Oblivion.ini ... if it doesn't work delete the new Oblivion.ini and rename Oblivionini.old back.

Edited by Striker879

Update: I've installed the Xonar DS, and now it won't even load my test saves without crashing. I started a new character, but when I heard the voice of the guy in the other cell taunting me, it crashed with the last millisecond of his voice permanently looping, giving me a kind of buzzing sound that persists even though Oblivion is closed.

Update: I fixed the crash by enabling GX mode, but the lost sound problem persists.

Now you have installed the Xonar, you should disable the on-board card in your BIOS -- check your manual on how to do that. Once you have that disabled, be sure that your oblivion.ini has the following entry:

[Audio]

bDSoundHWAcceleration=1

Where you able to get 64 bit drivers from the Asus site or are you just using whatever Win 7 picked when it discovered your new hardware?

Yes. I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers direct from the ASUS site and they are the 64-bit versions.

- Edit - Something else that comes to mind is letting the game rediscover your hardware. Rename Oblivion.ini to Oblivionini.old and start the game as far as the menu. Exit and start again. You may need to reset your video settings. If it works refer to your Oblivionini.old for any other ini edits you want to transfer over to the new Oblivion.ini ... if it doesn't work delete the new Oblivion.ini and rename Oblivionini.old back.

Tried it earlier. Unless I need to use completely new saves, it didn't work.

Update: Disabled onboard in the BIOS, restarted, tried it again. No luck.

Edited by RepeatRepeater

Just to confirm ... the drivers you have installed are the version 7.12.8.1794 from the Asus site? Looking over the install instructions in the online manual from the Asus site a couple of questions. Did you disable your onboard sound before installing the new sound card? Did you run the install CD first and then install the latest version drivers? Looking over the 7.12.8.1794 driver extracted download I don't see any specific install instructions ... if you ran the CD first did you just run the Setup.exe in the root PCI-DS-110512-7.12.8.1794(W7-FR) folder afterwards (which is what I would have done lacking any instructions otherwise ... older Realteks required you to manually uninstall the old version before installing the new, but you had to dig into the readme to find that out). Have you tried with GX2.5 off as well as 'effect free (HiFi)' mode off (DSP Mode buttons on the lower right corner of the Xonar DS Audio Center main page ... though looking through the FAQs at the bottom of page 45 I see that you may need GX2.5 for EAX to work with Win 7, unless that problem got addressed by Microsoft between Vista and Win 7). I'd also do my troubleshooting with all effects off and VocalFX options all off.

As usual I'll edit if I think of anything else.