Adding Races

rakansc

So, I've looked around a bit, and haven't found any guide that can really help me with this. This may in part be because releasing a mod that ports Copyrighted material from Oblivion into FO3 is illegal, so let me just say that:

1) I own legitimate copies of both FO3 and Oblivion (GOTY edition);

2) I have absolutely no intention of releasing any race port mod that I'd make to the public without proper permissions - I really don't want to get sued. That's not fun. :(

I'm actually not that interested in porting vanilla races from Oblivion into FO3: most of the vanilla races are rather ugly compared to their FO counterparts. What I am interested in would be adding some of the many modded-in races for Oblivion into FO, such as the mystic elves, since most of them are of a much higher quality and would fit in better with the world.

Has anyone figured this out yet? Or could anyone point me in the right direction on getting started? I've fooled around with some of the race files, but nothing really successful yet.

:thanks:

One last bump...

Coincidentally, I've thought of the same thing. If I understand fallout 3 right, you might have to recode the races, everything about them, in order for Fallout 3 to identify them. Fallout 3 is similar to oblivion, but there's no doubt that mods work in different ways then Oblivion.

So far in fallout 3, I've seen no one with a tail, ears, or elf ears, so there's something right there, new race types require coding, especially with animations. I'm really wanting to see the tabaxi race ported to fallout 3, as my favorite companion from oblivion was Jade, she was made be divine avenger.

The best way I see it is to learn how Fallout 3 works, if you have a better understanding of the game, you'll more likely to have a successful port ^^.

How ever, this is only my opinion, I know very little of how fallout 3 truly works, but I do know that its very similar to oblivion.

And just like oblivion, you cannot specify a skeleton for the pc..

For npcs you can point it to a folder with meshes and it will use the animations and skeleton in that folder, but the PC will always default to the one in _male .

So there's a few ways of doing this..

One is not to have a new race that uses a new skeleton.. which is relatively easy you just need new meshes.

second way is to set the PC to use a race that's skeleton is in the _male folder, and move all humanoid npcs that aren't of that race to other folders..

Ie have _male be "xnewrace", and _npc be used for all the humanoid npcs..

Obviously thats not very compatable and is quite time consuming without wrye-bash

Try number3 involves FOSE, and the FOSE team has this on their todo list...

FOSE will monitor FO3 and look for when it loads skeleton/etc data for the pc.. then FOSE will hook that load and change the directory it loads from.. so basically making FO3 work like it SHOULD.

FOSE dosen't do this yet...

NOW aside from all that... your new race needs voices, sounds, (if in part 1, just new meshes and texture data animated to the animations)

(or in part 2 and 3, a new skeleton, new animation files, new armor, new child race version with its own armor and animations, and junk.. ad etc)

So quite a bit there to get a new race in.

And just like oblivion, you cannot specify a skeleton for the pc..

For npcs you can point it to a folder with meshes and it will use the animations and skeleton in that folder, but the PC will always default to the one in _male .

So there's a few ways of doing this..

One is not to have a new race that uses a new skeleton.. which is relatively easy you just need new meshes.

second way is to set the PC to use a race that's skeleton is in the _male folder, and move all humanoid npcs that aren't of that race to other folders..

Ie have _male be "xnewrace", and _npc be used for all the humanoid npcs..

Obviously thats not very compatable and is quite time consuming without wrye-bash

Try number3 involves FOSE, and the FOSE team has this on their todo list...

FOSE will monitor FO3 and look for when it loads skeleton/etc data for the pc.. then FOSE will hook that load and change the directory it loads from.. so basically making FO3 work like it SHOULD.

FOSE dosen't do this yet...

NOW aside from all that... your new race needs voices, sounds, (if in part 1, just new meshes and texture data animated to the animations)

(or in part 2 and 3, a new skeleton, new animation files, new armor, new child race version with its own armor and animations, and junk.. ad etc)

So quite a bit there to get a new race in.

If I may add on, I'd say that Adult Humanoid races would be less work. Especially if child humanoid races require there own Armor / Clothes / animations / Meshes / Textures / Skeletons, ETC.

I've been fooling around with the Race files some more, and here's some things I have to report back.

First is, most Oblivion Meshes don't seem to be directly compatible with FO3 - this I think was brought up in one of the stickies. I tried slipping in some of the character model heads from Oblivion to a custom test race, and it didn't work very well. I believe there's a way to re-compile meshes so they are compatible with FO3, but I don't have the means to do that. Yet.

Second is, as someone else suggested, there does not seem to be any tail option and modifying Ear models (so you could get elf ears, for example) is an option that exists in the GECK, but appears to be non-functional. (Like in the TESEditor, there is a "Ear" model field, but it's grayed out in the GECK.)

Third is I'm still pretty lost.

:confused:

I've been fooling around with the Race files some more, and here's some things I have to report back.

First is, most Oblivion Meshes don't seem to be directly compatible with FO3 - this I think was brought up in one of the stickies. I tried slipping in some of the character model heads from Oblivion to a custom test race, and it didn't work very well. I believe there's a way to re-compile meshes so they are compatible with FO3, but I don't have the means to do that. Yet.

Second is, as someone else suggested, there does not seem to be any tail option and modifying Ear models (so you could get elf ears, for example) is an option that exists in the GECK, but appears to be non-functional. (Like in the TESEditor, there is a "Ear" model field, but it's grayed out in the GECK.)

Third is I'm still pretty lost.

:confused:

If its greyed out, there's a way to reverse that. The only way to add a tail now without further programming would be to make it part of an equipped item. That's how I see it. I really wanted to see races with tails :(.

Archived