Oblivion lag is unplayable

bobbyv1014

Hey guys i bought oblivion on the steam sale and i just got around to start playing it. The main menu is fine and smooth but right when i get to the customization menu for my character it goes from 15 fps to zero back and forth. I have a very good computer and it lags no mater what settings it put it on. the very highest or the lowest. I can play skyrim with the highest game settings with no lag at all and i cant figure out what is making oblivion lag like this.

my system specs are

15 2400k possessor

560ti nvida geforce

8g ram

please help me out guys. Thanks

Is this with or without mods? If with, please post your mod list, taken from Wrye Bash -- right click on the 'File' tab and select 'View mods...' and copy/paste everything, including spoiler/xml tags. And don't forget to mention any OBSE/OBGE plugins you have.

Is this with or without mods? If with, please post your mod list, taken from Wrye Bash -- right click on the 'File' tab and select 'View mods...' and copy/paste everything, including spoiler/xml tags. And don't forget to mention any OBSE/OBGE plugins you have.

i have no mods installed at all. I have also re downloaded the game about three times and still no luck

What do you have for settings in Options? I'm asking about the one in the loading screen, not the one in game. Also, have you tried updating the nvidia drivers yet? I don't know if it occurs on new cards, but there used to be a problem with the nvidia cards and Oblivion. You could usually fix it by updating the drivers. Edited by talveren

Here is a link to my troubleshooting blog.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/4751769/1/#new

This is updated from time to time so come back later for more.

If you use any of this and have some success - or even if nothing works - please post back here what you did that worked or didn't work. That kind of information can be invaluable to other members having the same or similar problems - And to me in fixing any problems in the blog.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you have for settings in Options? I'm asking about the one in the loading screen, not the one in game. Also, have you tried updating the nvidia drivers yet? I don't know if it occurs on new cards, but there used to be a problem with the nvidia cards and Oblivion. You could usually fix it by updating the drivers.

all of the settings are at the default and my drivers are all up to date. im about to upload a video on my youtube channel to see if anyone else can help and to show people what my problem is.

I have been trying to get Oblivion (CD version) to work smoothly for a few days now, but I am having the same issue as the OP (hence why I'm posting here instead of a new thread). After much testing, I have narrowed it down to a sound issue (likely sound codecs): whenever certain sounds play, the game freezes for a couple of seconds. The reason I know it is a sound issue is because when I set "bSoundEnabled" and "bMusicEnabled" to 0 in the Oblivion.ini file, the freezing goes away. The problem seems to only be in the official 1.2 patch (even with no mods installed).

I have tried tinkering with some of the other sound-related boolean values in the config to no avail. I have tried excluding "oblivion.exe" from ffdshow, downloading the latest sound drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling the CCCP, and completely reintalling Oblivion (including deleting the left over folders and running registry cleaners before reinstalling).

Please help, as I would love to be able to enjoy this with the sound on.

Gimlear