CPU Changeover or quite possibly adding one...

Hi everyone,

I have a Advent Monza S200 17" Laptop, which is not too bad for gaming, the only part that let's it down however, yep you guessed it....the CPU, now I know everyone says you are very limited in upgrading a laptop and I completely understand that all I want to know is can I upgrade the it or add another to it so I can get better gaming performance?? I mean I've looked everywhere for information even on the Advents website, so if you could help me out a little bit I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks for your help in advance =]

Scotty =]

I believe if it were to have an i7 cpu it should be able to be switched for another in the same generation. I think it is limited to i7's though (if I remember correctly they were one of the few that were not commonly soldered on). If your laptop happens to use an i7 you would need to make sure the one your purchasing is going to be recognized. For example if you had a first gen i7 720qm and wanted an i7 840qm you would have to somehow find if there is bios support for it. You would also have to make sure the thermal pads are the same dimensions so it would fit properly. You probably would have to completely pull it apart to upgrade it (you would most likely have to remove the screen from the chassis and everything in between the two) so you would have to find a manual from the manufacturer which goes into detail on how to do so. Aside from all that you would have to find someone which sells a laptop processor from whatever generation you need (and don't forget the thermal paste :tongue: )

If the laptop was a 'Clevo' style of laptop (Clevo, Sager or any of its re-branders) or one of the larger Alienware laptops it wouldn't be nearly as complicated to locate parts or replace them, but general use laptops are a pain to change parts on.

(On a side note; you will never be able to 'add another' processor to a laptop. Laptops with two physical processors has never existed to my knowledge and desktops which use two are very rare unless it is a server).

I believe if it were to have an i7 cpu it should be able to be switched for another in the same generation. I think it is limited to i7's though (if I remember correctly they were one of the few that were not commonly soldered on). If your laptop happens to use an i7 you would need to make sure the one your purchasing is going to be recognized. For example if you had a first gen i7 720qm and wanted an i7 840qm you would have to somehow find if there is bios support for it. You would also have to make sure the thermal pads are the same dimensions so it would fit properly. You probably would have to completely pull it apart to upgrade it (you would most likely have to remove the screen from the chassis and everything in between the two) so you would have to find a manual from the manufacturer which goes into detail on how to do so. Aside from all that you would have to find someone which sells a laptop processor from whatever generation you need (and don't forget the thermal paste :tongue: )

If the laptop was a 'Clevo' style of laptop (Clevo, Sager or any of its re-branders) or one of the larger Alienware laptops it wouldn't be nearly as complicated to locate parts or replace them, but general use laptops are a pain to change parts on.

(On a side note; you will never be able to 'add another' processor to a laptop. Laptops with two physical processors has never existed to my knowledge and desktops which use two are very rare unless it is a server).

Thank you very much for this it does help, I didn't really expect to be able to add one I think I may have read the spec's wrong on some PC's I was looking at lol :laugh: So again Thank you, you've really helped :thumbsup:

Are you sure it's a S200? I'm only seeing 15.6" versions of this laptop, and it comes with an AMD processor. If that's the case, you have an E450, and by the looks of it you can't change it out as it's soldered to the board.

Mind giving us the proper CPU spec? Not just how much GHz, but also how many cores and the the processor model number.

Edited by ziitch

Are you sure it's a S200? I'm only seeing 15.6" versions of this laptop, and it comes with an AMD processor. If that's the case, you have an E450, and by the looks of it you can't change it out as it's soldered to the board.

Mind giving us the proper CPU spec? Not just how much GHz, but also how many cores and the the processor model number.

This is my whole System Information:
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
System Manufacturer: Advent
System Model: Monza S200
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/18/12 15:21:40 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7790MB RAM

And it is 17" I got my laptop/notebook from PC World in store I think it was on sale or there wasn't very many made because I did have trouble trying to find reviews and what not, on the laptop/notebook.

Edit: My bad you were right it was 15.6"......sorry =P

Edited by scotty94