Looking for a good MMO

Vindekarr

I think I'm going to be OK in Guild Wars. I got a server transfer today, and that's made a massive difference. The new guild I'm with are really nice; I had a good long chat with a few of them, and it's amazing just how much a few good, kind people you feel better. The 1.1 patch is a BIG improvement. Grouping is now absolutely critical, and groups now really have to band together. Previously dungeons were pretty haphazard, but now, people really are pulling together which is nice.

Vagrant-I can actually really recomend trying it. As long as you pick a good server, which is all but 4(henge of denravi, eredon terrace mainly, they're DEAD) of them, it's extremely active, and thanks to the 1.1.0 patch today they've vastly helped with the non-group issue. The game's combat and class mechanics are a nice imrpovement over the WoW system, it's a lot faster paced for sure. Combat itself is less about bar-watching and more about timing, since you can evade twice in combat to completely negate an attack, but have to time it spot-on, a bit like a timed block, an ability some classes actually have. Health is much reduced compared to other mmos, aswell-my level 80 Warrior may be a heavy armour class, but still has to be careful when facing other 50+ mobs. Level scaling and daily challenges, which have just been updated and improved, also greatly extend gameplay.

I also tried STO, which I really liked. I still have other games I want to play more, but later in the year, I'm def. going to go back. As a massive trekkie, it greatly appeals.

d) rest- you will get burned out at one point so drop it, the game has no subscriptions. You can come back months later if you like.

thats what im doing. i get burned out of games fast, and between getting every class up to at least lvl 10, sometimes more then once (deleted then try it again later) plus my main L50, i got burned out haha. its been several months since ive played, but with all this talk (and the new changes im getting emails about), and a new computer to play it on (as opposed to playing it on a laptop like i used to) it might not be long before i go back,

level 80 Warrior may be a heavy armour class, but still has to be careful when facing other 50+ mobs.

That kinda killed it right there. A tank class character is supposed to be able to TANK. If you're getting beaten by enemies 20 levels lower than you, that cannot be a good sign of working mechanics, sometimes to the point where you have to wonder why they even bothered to make a heavy armored class (looking at you Ragnarok). This is one of those things that irked the hell out of me with the original Everquest (in addition to things lower level than you running even if they attacked you) and Ultima Online, and MMOs keep on doing it.

I also don't like mechanics that force a player to constantly group just to level past a certain point due to the fact that sometimes you just can't find good groups or don't feel like being social. People should be able to solo world spawns at around their level as long as their build is suitably focused. Dungeons and bosses... that's where people should need to group up.

Actually Warriors are a bit overpowered in the game... very high damage and health, high criticals and defense. It's kind of tough to explain how the game mechanics work, there is no Holy Trinity so a full on max defense/health tank warrior build is not advisable IMO. I'm not saying that's no good, but it will require a lot of skill/time (think Devil May Cry Dante fighting bosses). Same with glass cannons.

Also you don't need a party to get the benefits from being in one, a lot of support skills are area of effect and some of them gives the player a boost in either damage, defense or healing, typical stuff I presume,but the if you apply it to other people (either in a party or strangers in the vicinity) the greater the effects. In this game players are rewarded for helping each other with buffs, experience, and gold.

As for level 50 mobs killing max level players, it happens... a lot. The thing is the game down levels you depending on the map and area you are in, for example, your a lvl 80 Guardian entering a level 1 zone. You will be downleveled to 3 including your stats... BUT your level 80 exotic gear won't be dwnlvld, so you still get better stats than any player that's actually lvl 1 or lvl 3. Level 50-70 maps has a very thin population, except for maps with Dungeons in them. The biggest reasons are; people powerlevel inside said dungeons to 80, power level by crafting in Cities, and level 80's doing Fractals of the Mists to get their ascended pieces. The developers are trying redistribute better loot in non-dungeon areas and improve achievement rewards, etc. to repopulate this PvE mid level maps.

Level 50-70 maps has a very thin population,

Poop, thats where i left off, and i have no plans on power leveling to anything. im just doing quests and crafting occasionally.

Still nothing beats torchlight 2, it has almost identical music to Diablo 2, same type of feel.. As the original devs helped create the game. it was really well made. Edited by Thor.

Still nothing beats torchlight 2, it has almost identical music to Diablo 2, same type of feel.. As the original devs helped create the game. it was really well made.

beat the first one twice (Alchemist and Warrior (forget the in game name) and bought Torchlight 2 on day 1 and have yet to play more then 30 minutes of it haha. just havent been in the mood to play it, no other reason then that. my friend on the other hand played like 10 hours straight on my account. got to like level 30 or something haha.

level 80 Warrior may be a heavy armour class, but still has to be careful when facing other 50+ mobs.

That kinda killed it right there. A tank class character is supposed to be able to TANK. If you're getting beaten by enemies 20 levels lower than you, that cannot be a good sign of working mechanics, sometimes to the point where you have to wonder why they even bothered to make a heavy armored class (looking at you Ragnarok). This is one of those things that irked the hell out of me with the original Everquest (in addition to things lower level than you running even if they attacked you) and Ultima Online, and MMOs keep on doing it.

I also don't like mechanics that force a player to constantly group just to level past a certain point due to the fact that sometimes you just can't find good groups or don't feel like being social. People should be able to solo world spawns at around their level as long as their build is suitably focused. Dungeons and bosses... that's where people should need to group up.

That's incorrect Vagrant. Firstly, you get your level adjusted to whatever zone you're in; again 50 mobs you'll be level 52. Also, the warrior is actually not a tank class in GW, as it instead serves a DPS role. While it can be reasonably durable, the vast majority are middle-durability, ultra-high DPS characters. Guardians are the main PVE tanks, as are Elementalists and Engineers(in PVP) A good Guardian is nearly unkillable, and well able to tank a boss in most dungeons. Elementalists, though a light armour class, if played by an expert, can match or even outstrip a guardian's defence, especially against top-level dungeon bosses, both classes also do respectable DPS. Engineers are laughably over-durable in PVP. With the right build and a masterful player you need a whole team to down one, and when you do, he'll explode and potentially kill one of your guys.

Almost every class has a spec which can tank amazingly well, the warrior has one of the best, but my warrior is pure DPS, so I do have some damage concerns. You also need to realise that once downed, the Warrior can self-revive in PVE, which makes it pretty much invulnerable if played well.