Applying textures from one weapon to another

Auslander66

Is it possible to take the texture of a weapon blade and apply it to a different weapon? I have a katana with an artificial shine on its blade, as in the lower portion of the blade is always catching light, while the upper portion is in shadow. I would like to apply the texture of a different katana with an evenly placed shine throughout the blade. I know that textures are dds files, so I experimented by renaming the dds files from a katana with even shine, onto the katana I want to use, but, of course, this did not work. Can anyone think of a solution to this?

I'm not quite sure what your trying to say you're attempting to do, but it seems to me you are talking about the normal and not the texture.

Did you try changing the normal in creation kit?; because thats what makes it shiney or dull.

It'd be texture_n.dds often times and it is changed in the texture item in addition to the texture.dds.

Also changing one models normals or texture to another model often doesnt work because of the face maps being different, so you may have to modify the file to get it correctly placed anyways.

If you havent connected a normal to your weapon in creation kit by now, you should.

I think that covers the bases, but if this is not helpful someone else cant give it a try.

I'm not quite sure what your trying to say you're attempting to do, but it seems to me you are talking about the normal and not the texture.

Did you try changing the normal in creation kit?; because thats what makes it shiney or dull.

It'd be texture_n.dds often times and it is changed in the texture item in addition to the texture.dds.

Also changing one models normals or texture to another model often doesnt work because of the face maps being different, so you may have to modify the file to get it correctly placed anyways.

If you havent connected a normal to your weapon in creation kit by now, you should.

I think that covers the bases, but if this is not helpful someone else cant give it a try.

Well, I have a katana with a nice design, but it has a fake shine effect on the blade. The lower portion of the blade is always brightly lit, while the upper region of the blade is darker. I would like to give the blade a full length shine, so I was thinking of trying to use the texture of a different weapon and renaming it to match the katana I am trying to fix. If this can be fixed a different way, I am open to it. You say to change the models "normals" in creation kit, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing this.

What exactly do you mean by a models normals? I apologize but I'm new to this type of modding so I am unfamiliar with the term.

Edited by Auslander66

Is it possible to take the texture of a weapon blade and apply it to a different weapon? I have a katana with an artificial shine on its blade, as in the lower portion of the blade is always catching light, while the upper portion is in shadow. I would like to apply the texture of a different katana with an evenly placed shine throughout the blade. I know that textures are dds files, so I experimented by renaming the dds files from a katana with even shine, onto the katana I want to use, but, of course, this did not work. Can anyone think of a solution to this?

The first image shows the weapon I'm trying to alter. The blade has a bright shine on the lower portion of the blade, while the rest of the length is darker.

The second image shows a weapon with an even shine throughout the blade. I'm trying to make the weapon in the first image like the weapon in the second. Ideally, I would like to be able to make the shiny portion of the blade in the first image on the left, extend all the way to the tip of the weapon. Is there a way to do this?

Edited by Auslander66

If they are two completely different models then simply replacing the normal map of one to the other would not create the desired effect since they have different uv map coordinates (i.e. how a texture is setup), which textures are dependent on.

Varga has a tutorial of how normals work, I recommend you check it out, its an interesting read ;):

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/varga/index7.php

Edited by hardarg