Blog Piece: Nexus plans for stability and infrastructure improvements.

Dark0ne

I've been with Nexus for a while, but I never really followed along with the behind-the-scenes side of things, so sorry if this is an old/crappy suggestion, but, uh.....donations? I know that members can "donate" by purchasing premium memberships, but in my opinion, the average user doesn't really see "Buy Premium!" and immediately think, "Doing that will help keep this site running." They might even think that the Nexus is holding out good service only for people willing to pay, as some sites do (not true, of course, but people are quick to assume).

On the other hand, If you had a donation widget in the corner or, even better, a small banner notification at the top of the page, saying something like "Your donations help us improve the Nexus", I think people might be more inclined to slide a little cash your way. Look at Wikipedia, one of the most visited (therefore quite bandwidth heavy) sites on the web -- they stay up solely through donations, almost all of which are small public contributions.

I'm not saying the Nexus would survive just through donations, nor that they should replace Premium Memberships, but if you don't have a donation system (and even if you do, a better advertised one considering I can't find it), it might prove a nice little addition to the site's income...perhaps enough to buy that clustering solution you have your eyes on? Again, just a suggestion. I have no doubt you know best as far as what would benefit the Nexus the most.

Edited by JackNitro

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been with the Nexus through one account or another since late 2007. Your services have always been exemplary considering the small number of people maintaining the sites. Yes I have had page locking up half loaded, downloads stopped or never began. Yet none of it matters to this humble gamer who can enjoy mods from around the world and from the shining independent talented people.

So my sincere thanks to all of you.

Just read through Dark0ne's blog, and i must say i'm rather humbled by his single-mindedness and dedication to good ethics and continued support of the community of millions of gamers worldwide (and we are talking actual millions!). The good people of nexus are providing us humble gamers with so much talent and added hours of gameplay; the least we can do is kick a few bucks their way every now and then, I know i will (..y'know, as soon as i'm no longer broke.. being a student sucks lol) .

Premium! Premium! Premium! it's a bandwagon we should all be jumping on! especially those of us, myself included, who for whatever reason are more fond of lurking and loading, than modding itself! :wink:

Edited by zara7

I second the donation thing. A little paypal widget would have got me to put 10 bucks in easily. I have a feeling there are lots of other people who would donate even 1 dollar, or even 10 cents, or not at all. Either way, within the huge traffic of people piling through, you would make a killing.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
In response to post #7211871.

I skimmed through the last 36 pages of replies and saw a few folks mention cloud. You should seriously consider re-building Nexus code on a private, public or hybrid cloud for many reasons.

The biggest advantage of going public cloud is you can span your servers across several global datacenters and make heavy use of technologies like Akamai that direct customer traffic to the closest instance, thus reducing your latency and server load.

Hybrid is a great option where you spin a mini-cloud up in your basement datacenter where all of your development and testing takes place. When a revision is ready for deployment you click a button and it deploys to the public cloud providers faster, more resilient, cooler and eco-friendly datacenter than your basement and cable modem can provide! So you save money on the dev/QA servers while benefiting from the faster/cooler public cloud providers datacenter. But costs are coming down, so your dev and QA instances can certainly be cheaper with the right server plan.

Private can run on a service providers 'rented' servers or in your basement. Rented servers aren't as cost effective as running your VM's on a public grid, but the idea is it's supposed to be more 'secure' which is really just a bunch of hog-wash assuming the service provider knows a thing or two about securing grids...

So to sum it up, my advice is to still build server clusters, but do it on a virtual platform using 'cloud' automation on top. This gets you out of the 'managing servers and server availability' business and puts you more in touch with focusing on the one thing that really matters which is the 'service' or in this case the sweet suite of Nexus sites you guys run. :)

Long live the Nexus!!!!!