Maximum number Skyrim SE mods?

danieljpmesq

Isnt the plug-ins that limit you? 255 isnt it? IDK, I think someone mods avoid those, so I guess that sets a figure wholly dependent on your Mod load. I am assuming it's going to be different for everyone, within that limit no?

Isnt the plug-ins that limit you? 255 isnt it? IDK, I think someone mods avoid those, so I guess that sets a figure wholly dependent on your Mod load. I am assuming it's going to be different for everyone, within that limit no?

im not exactly sure, but in LE the limit was indeed 255, but with the SE version that limit was lifted

exceeding the "255" limit is done by loading additional mods into a different address space.

If you happen to use Vortex, if you open the plugins tab, you'll see a column called "Flags". If you select "could be light" you'll see a list of plugins that can be loaded into this alternate space. Double click on an entry to load the side pane, where you'll be able to set the plugin to "light" mode, ie, load this plugin into the alternate space.

I don't use MO2 or NMM, so I'm not sure how its accomplished there.

In addition, some mods come "ready" (I think "ESL" is an indicator that it will load into the alternate space)

• 2 weeks later...

exceeding the "255" limit is done by loading additional mods into a different address space.

If you happen to use Vortex, if you open the plugins tab, you'll see a column called "Flags". If you select "could be light" you'll see a list of plugins that can be loaded into this alternate space. Double click on an entry to load the side pane, where you'll be able to set the plugin to "light" mode, ie, load this plugin into the alternate space.

I don't use MO2 or NMM, so I'm not sure how its accomplished there.

In addition, some mods come "ready" (I think "ESL" is an indicator that it will load into the alternate space)

Vortex and that "Could Be Light" filter won't show you the mods that ARE already flagged as Light, it shows you the ones whose ESP could be edited to be made Light; there is a separate "Light" filter that will display the plugins that are Light now. Opening the right detail sidebar for a selected plugin filtered by "Could Be Light" exposes a "Mark As Light" button which, if clicked, actually accomplishes the same thing as you opening the plugin in SSEEdit and using the script to flag the plugin as ESL. This action is reversible, by clicking the same button again later (its descriptive text will change).

It's actually altering the file record in the ESP, so it's modifying the file. Following doing this, don't be surprised the next time you Deploy when Vortex wants you to decide what to do about "externally" changed files that will include the ones you told Vortex itself to flag as Light! I know, it's kinda dumb, but take it up with @tannin42. You can either choose to "Use" or "Save" the changed file: Using it means that the modified file is merely left in your \Data directory to replace the original Vortex hardlink, but Saving it causes Vortex to leave the Vortex hardlink to the original file (in the Vortex staging directory) AND OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL FILE there, thus preserving your "Lightening" of it more permanently. (You will still have the original in the archive package in Vortex's downloads directory unless you explicitly delete it; that can be used to Reinstall the mod and restore the original non-Light plugin.)

When you use apply that "Could Be Light" filter, Vortex will ONLY show plugins that can easily be made light simply by setting the flag in the plugin; there may be other that also could be made Light but that require the extra preliminary work of renumbering FormIDs to make them appropriate for Light plugins. That is not always possible to do, given external dependencies, so Vortex plays it safe.

Now, as for the original question: the total number of MODS you can have is limitless if those mods happen to contain no plugins! Of course many will, and for those with plugins there is a less infinite limit: 254/255 + 4096 = 4350/4351. The old limit of 254/255 still applies for non-Light plugins, but Light plugins reside in their own separate form space which allows for 4096 of them. That is still pretty infinite....

Edited by VulcanTourist