Heroes Of The North

Macman253

The night was busy in The Bannered Mare, Whiterun had settled for the night but the patrons of The Mare were loud and raucous. The night had gone on and all night the patrons had wondered whom was the man that sat with his back to the wall and watching the crowd. A black and white hound at his feet and a strange curved blade near him at all times. The only one brave enough to approach his table was Saadia and that was only when he ordered food and drink. He wore the armor of a mercenary and his hair was a striking fiery red, his skin was pale and scarred from countless years at war. His plate of bacon, eggs, toasted bread and vegetables sat clean next to him. He had one hand wrapped around a mug of mead and another resting on the grip of his sword.

The Innkeeper Hulda knew the mercenary well, his name was Helgrim Stout-Heart and she was raised with the man. At one time in their youth they were sweethearts but the distant drums of war took him away from her. She caught his eye and smiled, her cheeks turning red. She quickly turned so the remaining patrons would not notice and busied herself with the cleaning. Little did anyone know what he was here for but Helgrim was waiting on a employer with decreasing degree of patience. In his nervousness he thumbed the blade from its scabbard and let it drop back into the wooden scabbard with a soft metallic clink. It had been late in the night that most of the patrons had staggered out and went home, even the resident Bard Mikael had left. Helgrim moved his eyes to the letter on the table next to him and read it once more.

After he had read the letter three times he stood and walked to the counter, Hulda poured him another mug of mead. A burly nord approached and placed a hand on his shoulder, Helgrim turned his eyes to the stranger to see him and two other nords standing behind him. The man with his hand on his shoulder spoke, "You took my seat Milk Drinker..." Helgrim smiled and returned to his mug of mead, the Nord seethed with anger and knocked the mug from his hand and drew his dagger. "Move or be removed.." He threatened. Helgrim looked to Hulda and tossed a few septims on the table.

"Sorry for the damage..." He said to her, she looked at him oddly. Helgrim smiled and grasped the back of the Nords head and forced it with incredible strength into the bar counter. The nords thick skull and teeth took a large chunk from the oaken table and he fell to the floor like a sack of leets. Helgrim stood quickly and grasped his curved sword just in time to deflect the sword-strike of one of his attackers. The blow connected to the Elder-Wood scabbard and reflected off, the vibration of the strike made his arm fall numb. Helgrim lashed out with a deft kick that struck the attacking Nord in the chest and sent him into the firepit in the middle of the room, the nord screamed loudly and thrashed around trying to extinguish himself. His partner drew an axe and raised it high, Helgrim drew his curved blade and cleaved the wooden haft of the axe in two, the nord peered at the broken blade in amazement as the axe head rested on the floor beside his foot. He returned his eyes to Helgrim and ran for the door.

Helgrim grasped the burning man and hauled him from the flames and knocked he jug of water on the bar counter off with the tip of his blade. The jar fell to the floor and shattered on his iron armor, the water extinguishing the flames. The nord breathed a sigh of relief, his skin a bright red but not bloody from the flames. Luckily they were just embers, his period of relief did not last as he felt the subtle prick of Helgrims blade at his throat. Helgrim peered at him with a dark grimace, the light showing his face. His left eye was clouded white and scarred, the studded band around his forehead bore sigils of snakes and onyx stones.

"The Bannered Mare is off limits to you and your kin, if I see you three again... you will not leave this city alive." He threatened coldly, with that he pulled his blade free from the nords neck and flicked it, the blade sang as it cut the air and slid into the scabbard. Helgrim wrapped the strap across his chest, placing the blade on his back. He turned away from the Nord as he got to his feet and picked up his unconscious friend and left the tavern. It was then that the tavern was filled with clapping, Helgrim turned to its source and a Dark Elf emerged from the darkness.

"You are hired..." He said, the Dunmer was fairly young but his stance and movement carried much weight and wisdom about them. The man himself was a warrior, Helgrim nodded in respects and offered him a chair, the dunmer politely shook his head and approached. "I represent a party interested in hiring you Helgrim Stout-Heart, my name is Odryn and we have a contract available for you.." He said as he tossed Helgrim a large pouch of coin, "Are you interested?" He added, a wicked smile across his face.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna arrived in Solitude at around 5am in the morning, just before the sun had began to break through the clouds. She handed the Carriage driver 25 gold pieces- the half she had promised him upon their arrival at her destination. Whichever way a situation went, Anna always tried to passively weigh things in her favour.

Approaching the main gate, she smiled slightly at the guard, who looked her up and down. Her aristocratic appearance registered with him, and he allowed her to pass without questions or any means of toll.

Peering around, she observed the silent streets with hungry eyes, taking in all of the culture that seeped from the very architecture. It was very much the great city she had heard about.

Entering the winking skeever, she approached the main counter, and dropped 20 gold onto the counter. "I'd like a room please." She requested softly. The man obliged, and silently led her to a small, but comfortable one bedroomed suite.

Mirabelle awoke that morning, a lot earlier than she had hoped. Mainly because of an inconvenient window that seemed to be in a place just to wake you up in the morning. The intense light caused her eyes to go into a fit of blinking. The light did not disturb her slumberous husband and he still lay in the bed in a very strange position.

She made a faint giggle and tried not to wake him. At her own glacial pace she got dressed, taking repetitive deep breaths as she did. She gave Marcurio a faint kiss on his head and slowly shut the door behind her, trying not to wake her husband. She brushed off her dress and looked herself over before she walked down the staircase to the bar.

Not many people were awake at the time but a few people sat at the tables chatting amongst themselves. She seated herself at a free stool and made an awkward cough. "Inkeeper?" She called.

"Yes?" The inkeeper replied shortly.

"Do...you serve any food?" She asked, smiling.

"Well. Uh. We got....bread. Got some freshly cooked horker meat! And.." He replied, unsure.

"Oooh!!! That! That will do! I'll have some horker meat! Oooh! Thats just what I need! Two portions please." She said, taking some gold out of her coin purse

"Comin right up." He said.

Almost immediately after the meal was served Marcurio, half dressed, came stumbling down the stairs, rubbing his eyes and yawning. "Mmmm. Good morning my love, what will we be having this morning?" He asked.

Mirabelle laughed. "Hehe! I ordered some Horker meat! You like that don't you, darling?"

"Mmmm, just what I wanted, my love!" He said, reaching over to give Mirabelle a kiss on the cheek.

She blushed and smiled " Take a seat, darling." She said, patting a stool next to her. The couple quickly ate the meat and then held hands. " Oh and by the way, that Grivnar says he wants more pay for his last delivery because of the...extra weight. Only an extra ten septims, i'm sure you can pay for it."

"Yes...my love. I can, don't you worry about that. So...ahem. Are we....going?"

"Gosh Marcurio! Give me a few moments to digest my food!" She giggled.

Marcurio made a slight sigh and started to tap the table.

Edited by AnotherAverageName

Anna hadn't slept a wink that night, instead she had sat glued to her notes, writing in a chapter about wondrous Windhelm. She certainly wasn't soft with her words, and had written an extremely As is account. She did however feel the need to grab a nice hot bath, and get out of her corset, wearing that think for prolonged periods of time often made her a little light headed.

As morning light crept into her chambers, she was still writing. She was quite exhausted, but swallowed a large gulp of a fatigue potion, and suddenly felt a hundred times better. She seldom actually slept, and relied on potions and other magical methods to keep her from dropping to the pillow straight away. She decided, as Solitude was far warmer, and far friendlier than the cold crags of Windhelm, she'd opt for a dress. Choosing a dark blue number, she slung it over her head, putting her choker and earrings back in, and styling her long mahogany hair into a neat bun. After applying her eyeliner and honey-gloss to her lips, she slipped on a pair of modest heels, and stepped out of her room.

As she walked out of her room, and down the stairs, she heard a woman conducting her husband... certainly it was the lady who wore the trousers in that relationship...

However, after a while it dawned on her whom it was, and Anna's face lit up. She ran incredibly quickly across the inn's lower floor, shouting at the top of her voice "Mirabelle!"

For a brief moment Mirabelle was confused, she turned her head around the room until she saw her sister. Her mouth dropped and her eyes opened unusually wide. Filled with excitement, she leaped out her chair and charged over to her.

She stood there for a moment, completely speechless breathing awfully heavily. Overreacting, she jumped up several times making small claps in front of her face. "Anna! How....how...where...wh" She gasped before catching her breath again. "How, how are you, sister!? Fancy seeing you here!" She laughed.

"Marcurio, darling! Look who it is!" She shouted.

Marcurio sat there for a moment, pretending not to hear her. The imperial made a short series of moans.

"Marcurio! It's my sister! Aren't you going to say hello!?"

He made a short groan before putting on a massively cheesy smile. "Hello. It is a pleasure to see you again." He said, as if he had rehearsed it. He smiled and nodded at the woman.

"Oh yeah! So!....What brings you to this slightly warmer part of Skyrim!?" She asked. "Hows this book of yours going? Well I hope?" She said, looking into her eyes with a genial smile. Her husband stood there slightly awkwardly, examining Anna's large lips, he made a small cough and looked around the room.

Anna looked at Marcuria as though he were a slug squashed to the bottom of her shoe, and said in a semi polite tone "Yes... very uh... nice to see you." She placed a delicate hand to her hip and glared at him for a moment, before returning to Mirabelle and mimicking her jumping fit of ecstasy, clapping her hands as she bounced slightly.

"Oh it's going splendidly Mirabelle! I was just in Windhelm and... Ugh, what a vile, vile place. I swear, you could cut the racism in the air with a knife... although you'd need a large hammer to eradicate it." She rolled her eyes and sat at a table. "How are mummy and daddy? You and... Him." She said casting daggers towards Marcurio.

Marcurio's eyebrows furrowed slightly but he remained reserved, standing in silence, letting them talk. " Oh that Windhelm!" She said to Anna. She turned her head to face Marcurio for a moment "You remember Windhelm, don't you darling?" Marcurio stood there blankly. "Marcurio?" She repeated a second time. He jumped slightly and smiled " Oh, yes. Windhelm. I believe its one of the only cities that remain from the first empire, its said to by built by Ysgramor himself, worthy of great study. But eh....all of its beauty and fascination is ruined by its unhospitable and frankly barbaric people. A great shame." He claimed.

"Hehe! You really know a lot about history don't you, dear?" She remarked.

She turned back to face her sister. "Mother? Oh I haven't heard her from quite a while but I heard she's been dealing with some necromancy over at the chapel. Father.....oh yes! Yesterday I bought Daddies own-brand breton cheese! As for me, well.... You realize I can't say a lot in the middle of a tavern but everythings going well, Marcurio bought me some of my favourite wine. You can have some if you wish." She said smiling.

"Did you find anything interesting in Windhelm, sister? Or just the racism of which you spoke." She asked.

• 4 weeks later...

Helgrim Stout-Heart stood at the gates to Solitude while the guards searched a caravan, the first part of the job he was hired for lead him to this rat-hole city. He might have been a Legionary but he had little love for their commanders. The guards were busy tearing apart a Khajiiti caravan while a few other guards held off the angered Khajiit's with their pikes, Helgrim rolled his eyes at this display of racism. Had his people really became so low that they would destroy someone's home and livelihood because they are simply different? He couldn't help but think he returned to Skyrim at the worst possible time, In his youth he remembered that the Khajiit were respected traders not considered criminals on sight but then Skyrim wasn't so full of others, the Dark Elves hadn't immigrated yet and the Argonians were only beginning to trickle in but with the Civil War and the Dragons roaming the sky's he could see why people were frustrated.

Helgrim sat his pack down and rummaged through it to retrieve his old Legate's badge and approached just as the Decanus slapped a khajiiti woman with the back of his plated gauntlet and she fell hard to the icy earth. "Tell me where the moon sugar is cat-s!@£!" He yelled, the woman clutched her cheek and a male Khajiit stepped forward to shield her from continued wrath. "We do not trade in moon sugar, we trade in pelts and furs..." He said as he pointed to the cart, it was piled with pelts and furs of various Skyrim animals. The guard raised his hand once again and Helgrim shouted "Halt!" as he stepped out of line and approached, sword in one hand and the badge in the other. The nord stepped forward with an angry look in his one eye, he was burly and scarred from many years on a battlefield but Helgrim knew him to be a bully and a coward but he would rather avoid bloodshed. "Who are you Milk Drinker?" He asked threateningly, Helgrim held up his badge, the Decanus looked at it then saluted. "What can we do Legate?" He said sharply, Helgrim smiled and placed the badge into a pocket on his belt. "You will return the items to these Khajiit's cart and pay for any damage to their wares out of your pocket." He said coldly, the Nord Decanus looked at him angrily but he would never defy a Legate. "Then you will take the woman to a surgeon and see that she is uninjured and you will pay for her medical treatment... and maybe I won't report yours and your men's harassment of honest tradesmen." He added as he walked past the man to the Khajiit leader, the Khajiit took his hand and shook it thankfully.

"This one's name is Ma'dran... we thank you for helping us." Helgrim shook his head and nodded, "No thank you necessary, these men were out of line and if it happens again report it directly to Legate Rikke, she will sort it out." He said with a quick smile, he knew her policy on harassing foreigners and these men would be punished severely for it. When all was said and done Helgrim grabbed his pack and walked through the gate with one hand on the reigns of the horse that drew the Khajiit's carriage into the city gates. He waved goodbye to Ma'dran and his family as he entered the Winking Skeever. The place seemed fairly lively for the afternoon and he suddenly remembered it was Sundas which meant most of these folk were coming back from morning prayers, the young imperial lad that worked the bar sat behind the counter polishing a steel mug. Helgrim approached and flipped a septim onto the counter.

"I am looking for someone..." He said as he set his pack down, the young lad scooped up the Septim and tucked it into his apron's pouch. "Aren't we all stranger, who in particular?" He asked, Helgrim leaned in. "A sorceress... wields many books and carries an odd staff." He said quietly, the imperial lad nodded and gestured upstairs and signaled the room number with his hands. Helgrim nodded in thanks and walked up to her room and gently knocked on the door.

Tenibrus met with the council, it was a shadowy thing. He had only been to a meeting twice before, once to formulate the taking of Markarth and the second to establish his position within it. The strange vampire had never been the primary speaker however. It was symbolic of their faith and trust in him that they convened at his request and allowed him to speak. He discussed the impending Imperial invasion of Markarth, this brought much scoffing and no small amount of arrogant bravado. Much of the council laughed at the idea of the legion trying to take back the most heavily fortified city in Skyrim, perhaps Tamriel. A few however, namely the oldest, the wisest and the most powerful, sat in silence, pondering Tenibrus's words.

"The legion will not succeed. Not at first at least. They will throw centuries against the walls only to have them ripped to shreds, but that will not be the end of it. They will want Markarth back. It may not be today, or tomorrow, next season or next year, but they will be free to do so. They can barely spare men because of the civil war, but the second that it is over, they will come. The Stormcloaks will also come, should they prove victorious. Whichever side is the victor will be able to muster enough strength to eventually overwhelm us. Their numbers grow faster than ours and they train faster. Even if each of us is worth a score of them in combat, they will bring numbers a hundred fold our own. But let us think, what if they win? What if they win easily in fact. What if their egos are so engorged by their victory that they do not see the reality of their conquest?" The silver lord began to reach his provocative point.

"And why would this happen?" General grumbling arose, questioning why he would bring this up.

"Simple. Because we let them win." Tenibrus flashed a toothy smile. "Let the legion think that they have found an Achille's heel in Markarth and her supply routes, let them think that we have been bested, crushed utterly through cunning and deception outside our walls. Let us vacate the city."

An eruption of outrage and criticism broke out. Several questioned why Tenibrus was allowed to speak, or why the meeting was called in the first place, but the center-most member of the council raised a hand and the arguing ceased. "What benefit would this bring us?"

Tenibrus grinned nearly from ear to ear. "If the Imperials think that we have been defeated completely, they won't bother with looking for us or trying to destroy us because, according to them, we are all gone. Fractured. Splintered. Weak. They will want to believe this. It is the disgusting over-optimism that corrupts the human and mer races. Meanwhile, we maintain control over the city. Not from direct seats of power but through proxies. Create a new coven away from Markarth but maintain control here. Use Markarth's resources to defend the coven, spread its influence and remain undetected. We are, after all, a clandestine people and thrive best in the shadows. Let us step out of the light of rule, and into the shadow of influence and corruption."

Silence penetrated the chamber as the council thought about this. The member who had silenced the rest spoke, "How should we maintain this influence, although I believe I know your aim."

"I imagine you do. As the imperials trust me, and expect me to be sabotaging all of our lines of supply, defenses and gathering intelligence on where to strike, I am well in their confidence. As this is the case, allow me to pose as the chief orchestrator of our 'downfall' here in Markarth. The imperials will then be quite grateful to me and will leave the city in my capable hands, a term they readily agreed to already. From the jarl's throne I can command the city and funnel resources wherever the Brethren will them to be. Additionally, without the stigma of being a city under vampire rule, our economic and cultural influences can expand, making us far more powerful. The ranks will bolster and the coffers will overflow. I will put in place several other agents loyal to us to manage the city as well and we shall retain all control over Markarth without the unfortunate side affects of prejudice and envy."

"Let us take a vote then." A mysterious voice echoed from the edges of the chamber. Some of the council members stirred, but the more experienced ones simply straightened themselves to seem more dignified. Slowly the Master stepped out of the shadows, his dark finery and glinting teeth accentuating his fearsome form. "All in favor?"

It was quiet for a time until he said affirmative himself, then a chorus of "aye"s followed. "Opposed?" the room was silent and Tenibrus smirked confidently.

The Master approached Tenibrus now and placed a hand upon his shoulder. "You may not be of our blood, but your are of our spirit, Tenibrus. It is long time that you be named one of us, at least in title if not in blood-bond." The Master turned to face the rest of the council, "Hail Jarl of Markarth!" The bass phrase rang through the chamber, echoing on its own before the rest of the council echoed it again. "Now, let the wheels turn." The Master strode out laughing with pleasure and anticipation.

Edited by Zephyr Kronos

• 2 weeks later...

During the night the snow had fallen, everything was completely embraced in it. The ground, roofs and... people. A beggar he passed, might have been dead or alive, which he did not know, but he were covered in snow.

He reached New Gnisis Cornerclub after a while, the girl´s body had been removed, the bloodstains too. Eykthain glared at the now oversnowed murder scene while he walked towards the door and entered. Inside the club he removed his hood slowly before he walked up to the counter and Ambarys.

"Ambarys."

Ambarys replied with a smile. "Eykthain! What brings you to my humble club?" Ambarys knew almost every dark elf by name, or at least those in Windhelm and a few that had a bit of a reputation.

The Inn was empty, apart from the usual guests, the guests that didnt seem to leave, ever.

"I need to ask you about the awful incident yesterday."

"What incident? Nothing has happened here." Eykthain suddenly noticed that Ambary´s cheek had a more blueish tone than usual and his mouth had been smashed, and his eyes....

"They did this to you? Didnt they?"

"No...Yes. They wanted me to keep silent, I said I would, but they still beat me up, but not so much that it could be seen at once. Bloody Nords" The last part he almost whispered, afraid they were to hear him.

Eykthain put a hand on his shoulder before he went outside again. The snow had started falling again so he put his hood on again. "They will pay, one way or another, but they WILL pay."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Eireen woke up, rubbed her eyes and yawning. Her hair were in a mess, but she didnt have time to worry about that just yet. She stood up, stretched for a while before she went to look out the window. "It´s snowing!" She thought happily. She washed herself with water that she poured from her drinking bottle, into a bowl she found. The water was freezing but it didn´t matter, she looked in her bag after a soap, and found it. A soap that smelled of blueberry. She had bought it at Riften´s Alchemist, in her opinion, the Alchemist in Riften was the best soapmaker in all of Tamriel. After she were done washing herself she decided to put on some make-up. Eireen needed nothing but eyeliner, her lips were already in perfect contrast with her skin so she had no need for lipstick. The eyeliner made her gaze stronger, it made her gaze terrifying just as her father´s. But the main reason was that she liked the look it gave her. So little can give so much. After the eyeliner had been applied it was time to get dressed. When she was done she saw the letter her father had written for her. She put her hair in a ponytail before reading it.

Eireen, I am going to see how Ambarys is doing, going to see if he has some information about the murder yesterday. Don´t worry about me. I will lock the door and push the key under the door, so no one will disturb you, but you have to leave the room before dawn. If you run into trouble, go to the New Gnisis Cornerclub, tell Ambarys your last name and he will do what he can to help. Its in the middle of the Gray Quarters.

I will not leave Windhelm, and you should not either.

//Eykthain

"Dawn, God dam...!" She said. Dawn had been several hours ago. Someone knocked on the door. Harder and harder. After a while she heard a low, and burly male voice through the door. "You rented the room until dawn, dawn is not lunchtime. OPEN the door!" It was the Inkeeper.

"I overslept!" She said, he voice was faint, she realised that she was scared.

Another voice took over, this one wasn´t as burly, but it was a guards voice. "In the name of Ulfric Stormcloak, open the door dark elf scum! Innkeeper! Don´t you have a spare key?" "Oh, yes I do."

Eireen felt as if she were to faint, but she didnt. She quickly grabbed the dagger on the nightstand, and her other weapons from a chair in the room, and before they opened the door she quickly put the letter from her father in her right boot.

5 Windhelm guards followed by the Innkeeper entered the room, the guards had their weapons drawn, Eireen had not. She knew that she couldnt take on 5 full grown Nordic guards. She realised, that she were an arrogant little girl, she could not fight as good as she wanted too, because she didnt have the mind for it. Eireen had not taken a life. But her father had, many times. They captured her. She were a good looking girl, they saw that, but they did not dare do anything to her at this time, the city was in turmoil since the murder yesterday, even though they had tried their best to end the rumours about it. Eireen ended up in prison. Stripped of her weapons, the only thing she had was the armor she wore and the letter in her boot.

Edited by Niborino9409