I backed up saves, did a complete reinstall of Skyrim...

Dubnoman

I was trying to solve some technical issues recently. I backed up my saves, but I did a complete reinstall of Skyrim. I uninstalled all mods, uninstalled Skyrim, and then deleted my Skyrim folder in Steamapps and deleted my Skyrim folder in My Games. I reinstalled the game and I was going to just install my mods again and then copy/paste my saves into the saves folder and pick back up my game, but...someone said some things to me in another thread indicating that I shouldn't uninstall all my mods. I have a feeling I screwed things up. Someone said something about how if you remove all mods and then plug them back in, the game will have missing scripts from those mods (scripts that formed from when I was playing my character). So...is this true? Would this lead to issues with mods/issues all around? Can I salvage my save files, or should I start a new game? My character was up to level 28. Will I have to cut my loses and start anew?

Someone said something about how if you remove all mods and then plug them back in, the game will have missing scripts from those mods (scripts that formed from when I was playing my character).

It's fine if you are using exactly the same mods and exactly the same scripts, but it also depends on why you did a reinstall of the game to begin with. If the point was to clean out script files that may have been left behind when you uninstalled some mods, that junk is already baked into your save game so you might as well start a new game (because otherwise, you'll just experience the same issue you had before with the same save games).

Edited by ripple

Someone said something about how if you remove all mods and then plug them back in, the game will have missing scripts from those mods (scripts that formed from when I was playing my character).

It's fine if you are using exactly the same mods and exactly the same scripts, but it also depends on why you did a reinstall of the game to begin with. If the point was to clean out script files that may have been left behind when you uninstalled some mods, that junk is already baked into your save game so you might as well start a new game (because otherwise, you'll just experience the same issue you had before with the same save games).

Well, I had an issue that I was trying to figure out (I didn't know what kind of problem it was), and it just turned out to be an issue with my graphics drivers. So you are saying that if I just install all the same mods and copy/paste my saves into the right folder, I should be able to pick things up again just fine?

So I'm glad you figured out the problem.

Here's the thing, IMO:

In theory, if you apply the exact same variables into the exact same environment, you should be able to expect the exact same results.

The problem is

1. You are not dealing in theory and

2. You have already changed the environment by whatever you did to your drivers, and maybe what you did to your game while trying to identify the problem.

In the real world application of this, what you are looking at are relative chances.

You may have a better chance of recreating your old game if you minimize any other changes to variables, but there is still a chance you will not be able to achieve this.

I am not suggesting you not try---if you are attached to your old game, the chance that it may work may be worth the hours it will take to restart a new game, if you need to.

I'm saying, rather, that I don't think you can expect "to pick up just fine," only that you may hope to do so.

Anyway, that's how I'd look at it.

The progress I made was from about January 1st to about January 25th (I played most of the days in between those days). I made it to level 28 in that time. It wasn't a huge amount of progress, but it was a good amount of progress. I'll wait to see if I can get some more input on this, but I may start a new game with a similar character. With this character, I may change things up a little, I may change things up more than a little.

I know how it can hurt to let go of a character--I think it's actually harder in the early stages, because you have so many plans for them...

Just a thought, if you start a new character, you may want to play with Steam offline. Historically we get a patch before a DLC release, and that can sometimes also cause people to have to start new games. If you play with Steam offline, you could get an idea of how well people are doing with the patch and/or give mod authors a chance to make any needed adjustments before moving up to the new patch.

I know how it can hurt to let go of a character--I think it's actually harder in the early stages, because you have so many plans for them...

Just a thought, if you start a new character, you may want to play with Steam offline. Historically we get a patch before a DLC release, and that can sometimes also cause people to have to start new games. If you play with Steam offline, you could get an idea of how well people are doing with the patch and/or give mod authors a chance to make any needed adjustments before moving up to the new patch.

Okay. Good advice. How do I play in offline mode? Do I have to select it every time I wanna play, or select it once and it stays like that?