Equiping Caravan Guards

GamerChas

I am planning on upgrading the caravans by planting better guns, armor etc on them. You find so much stuff in the game that I might as well use some of it for the caravans. Doing a Google search, I saw a response on one forum that said you only need to plant one round of ammo for whatever gun you give them. They will never run out of ammo, kinda like your companions default weapon. But I cannot find any conformation of this. This does not sound right to me. Is this true?

Yes, it is true.

I often upgrade the residents of Megaton, Bigtown and Arefu with repaired hardware from Talon Company and the Enclave. Makes me feel warm inside, seeing those nice people stomping around in powered armor.

The 'Groovatron' mod comes in very handy for this kind of thing, but can have unexpected effects sometimes - using it in Arefu makes the people there go berserk, but it seems fine in most other places,

You can download at least one kind of tougher caravan mods. FWE does a good job by themselves. In this case I feel that the OpenTeamMateContainer 1 console command is nowhere near cheating, and far less save scummy than planting. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Good. That saves me ammo. Thanks for the OpenTeamMateContainer command, I like the convienence.

A more complicated question: If I use the OpenTeamMateContainer to take out their default weapon, repair it, then put it back on them, will it still be considered their default weapon? So it cannot be shot out of their hands. Or, can I replace the default weapon with a repaired copy of the same weapon, and it will still be the default weapon?

In vanilla Fallout I used to arm and fit the Caravan guards with Gatling Lasers and power armor. If I didn't have a Gatling Laser sometimes I'd give a plasma rifle or minigun instead.

I'd also give Lucky, Crazy, and friends better armor. It helped them survive for the most part.

But one day I still found Doc dead one day near Paradise Falls, and Lucky another time near Arefu. It was after level 20 so it was most certainly Albino Radscorpions :(

But that's how it is in... the Wasteland, a desolate place darkened by the shadows of a dead civilization. There are no heroes. Only survivors.

is the story of one man's quest to find happiness. The perfect Nuka-cola break ...

I always thought that the merchant caravans were way under equipped considering the level of nastiness that is existent in the wastelands.

I'd like to see an option for future fall out games in which the player can offer items to NPC's which they can use themselves. Also, that NPC's don't have unlimited ammo either. I don't think that this would be much of a scripting issue and would only require a few extra lines of voiced dialogue as well. In return, the players reputation would increase as they are now viewed as this incredibly altruistic person who just gives stuff away.

On another note, I'd like to be able to hire NPC mercenaries in addition to companions and/or buy/build robots who act as guards for player housing.

And nice link to the Nuka Break web series - btw, I'm one of the backers of the series :) My name is in the credits as a significant contributor

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought that the merchant caravans were way under equipped considering the level of nastiness that is existent in the wastelands.

I'd like to see an option for future fall out games in which the player can offer items to NPC's which they can use themselves. Also, that NPC's don't have unlimited ammo either. I don't think that this would be much of a scripting issue and would only require a few extra lines of voiced dialogue as well. In return, the players reputation would increase as they are now viewed as this incredibly altruistic person who just gives stuff away.

On another note, I'd like to be able to hire NPC mercenaries in addition to companions and/or buy/build robots who act as guards for player housing.

And nice link to the Nuka Break web series - btw, I'm one of the backers of the series :smile: My name is in the credits as a significant contributor

THAT is an awesome idea on offering gear to folks for free to increase reputation! It would be cool if *every* NPC had a 'barter' option. Even if all they had was a few caps and junk like Grandma Sparkle, just having the option would add another facet of immersive interaction to the game.

WOw one of the backers to my favorite amateur series! That's really cool!! Next time I'm out in Yokohama I'll toast you :thumbsup: