Question about modding.

Deseoso

I have opened up an ESM with FNVEdit and I'm looking at a pair of goggles that I added to the Project Nevada - Equipment.esm. Correct me if I am wrong as I am very new to modding. The Male biped model is the field where you point to the mesh file for the item when it is worn and the Male world model is the field where you point to the mesh file for what the item looks like when it is in the world, such as when you first find it or when you drop it from your inventory. Is that correct?

Also, I see there is a Female biped model and Female world model. Am I correct in thinking that you only need something in those fields if there is a different model for females? I ask because I have noticed that some items only have male files and yet the items seem to be able to be worn by both.

After the biped and world models there is the male and female icon filename fields. From what I can tell this is where you put a file for the little picture that shows up in the pipboy when you select the item. Am I correct in assuming that?

And finally there is a field for male and female mico filenames. This is the field that I have absolutely no idea what it does. Can anyone explain this to me?

Actually, I just though of one last thing I have to ask. Many of the items I have looked at seem to point to files in the biped, world, icon and mico filename fields that work perfectly well when you play the game but if you follow the paths they have put in the fields they seem to point to folders that don't exist. I find this mostly when it is stuff in or related to the FalloutNV.esm. Does the main Fallout New Vegas ESM file hide most of it's files?

I am really finding my introduction to modding interesting so any info provided will be much appreciated.

I have opened up an ESM with FNVEdit and I'm looking at a pair of goggles that I added to the Project Nevada - Equipment.esm. Correct me if I am wrong as I am very new to modding. The Male biped model is the field where you point to the mesh file for the item when it is worn and the Male world model is the field where you point to the mesh file for what the item looks like when it is in the world, such as when you first find it or when you drop it from your inventory. Is that correct?

Correct.

Also, I see there is a Female biped model and Female world model. Am I correct in thinking that you only need something in those fields if there is a different model for females? I ask because I have noticed that some items only have male files and yet the items seem to be able to be worn by both.

Correct. Mostly you will find female biped models only on body armours, where there's a feminized version that includes breasts and hips. If there's no Female Biped Model, putting the item on a female results in the male biped model being used.

After the biped and world models there is the male and female icon filename fields. From what I can tell this is where you put a file for the little picture that shows up in the pipboy when you select the item. Am I correct in assuming that?

Correct.

And finally there is a field for male and female mico filenames. This is the field that I have absolutely no idea what it does. Can anyone explain this to me?

mico is the message icon. If a message pops up (Upper Left Hand Corner) relating to the item in question, if this field is present that message will use this icon.

Actually, I just though of one last thing I have to ask. Many of the items I have looked at seem to point to files in the biped, world, icon and mico filename fields that work perfectly well when you play the game but if you follow the paths they have put in the fields they seem to point to folders that don't exist. I find this mostly when it is stuff in or related to the FalloutNV.esm. Does the main Fallout New Vegas ESM file hide most of it's files?

FNV (and FO3, Oblivion, etc...) places MOST of its assets in archives called BSAs. These folder paths that 'don't exist' are present in the BSAs. For more details see: http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/BSA_Files

Thanks for the help. This was all confusing as hell at first but I'm starting to get my head around how this all works. can see there is a hell of a learning curve though. Will probably be a while until I'm releasing my own mods.

Thanks for the help. This was all confusing as hell at first but I'm starting to get my head around how this all works. can see there is a hell of a learning curve though. Will probably be a while until I'm releasing my own mods.

Yes, but once you overcome that learning curve you empower yourself to control the world you play in. As much as I hate to say it, the best way to learn is to practice repeatedly. Some folks do learn better by witnessing demonstrations and there are some very good videos on YouTube for a lot of the simpler stuff, just search for "GECK".

In all honesty, once you decide that the GECK/FNVEdit doesn't scare you and you are in the driver's seat the sky is the limit. I wish I'd realized that years ago.