Some mods aren't being activated after installs

Dubnoman

So I first tried this mod. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17 I used NMM. It didn't work at all. I just figured it might just be the mod. So I started a new game and just went without that mod. I installed this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13687 I used NMM, and the mod would not activate. So then I used Steam Workshop on the same mod, and it would not activate. I did a manual install, and it would not activate. I thought maybe it is just the mod, but I was starting to wonder if it is my computer instead.

Was there an update to a new version for Skyrim very recently? Maybe one for right before Dragonborn hit? Maybe that could explain why those mods aren't working. Or maybe it is my computer. Before starting a new game, I did a clean reinstall of Skyrim. Maybe something went wrong. It could be something like that, or it could be a new Skyrim update. I had four mods that change the appearance of 4 different NPCs. They were working ten days ago. A few days ago, I had to uninstall each one, as any one of them made the game CTD right after the Bethesda logo. If there was an update to a new version of Skyrim recently, maybe that problem and my other problems are due to the new version.

So I first tried this mod. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17 I used NMM. It didn't work at all. I just figured it might just be the mod. So I started a new game and just went without that mod. I installed this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13687 I used NMM, and the mod would not activate. So then I used Steam Workshop on the same mod, and it would not activate. I did a manual install, and it would not activate. I thought maybe it is just the mod, but I was starting to wonder if it is my computer instead.

Was there an update to a new version for Skyrim very recently? Maybe one for right before Dragonborn hit? Maybe that could explain why those mods aren't working. Or maybe it is my computer. Before starting a new game, I did a clean reinstall of Skyrim. Maybe something went wrong. It could be something like that, or it could be a new Skyrim update. I had four mods that change the appearance of 4 different NPCs. They were working ten days ago. A few days ago, I had to uninstall each one, as any one of them made the game CTD right after the Bethesda logo. If there was an update to a new version of Skyrim recently, maybe that problem and my other problems are due to the new version.

The first one you linked is not a mod, it's a save game. Installing with NMM won't work because it will try to put the fille in your data folder of your Skyrim installation, when it needs to be with your other saves in your My Documents folder. You will need to follow the readme to place the file in the correct folder on your computer.

Hard to diagnose what went wrong with the second mod (Saber Gear pack) without seeing your load order. Use steam to verify your game files to make sure your Skyrim installation is correct. If you still have problems, give us more details about how you are attempting to install the mod and what is going wrong with it (when you say it doesn't activate, does that mean the ESM is not checked in the load order, or the item is not showing up in game, or something else?).

The first one you linked is not a mod, it's a save game. Installing with NMM won't work because it will try to put the fille in your data folder of your Skyrim installation, when it needs to be with your other saves in your My Documents folder. You will need to follow the readme to place the file in the correct folder on your computer.

Hard to diagnose what went wrong with the second mod (Saber Gear pack) without seeing your load order. Use steam to verify your game files to make sure your Skyrim installation is correct. If you still have problems, give us more details about how you are attempting to install the mod and what is going wrong with it (when you say it doesn't activate, does that mean the ESM is not checked in the load order, or the item is not showing up in game, or something else?).

Thanks for the input on the save game file.

The Sabre Gear Backpack mod, the .esp file is checked, but I can't craft the item at the tanning racks. The mod says you can craft them under the hide section at tanning racks.

The Sabre Gear Backpack mod, the .esp file is checked, but I can't craft the item at the tanning racks. The mod says you can craft them under the hide section at tanning racks.

Is the option to craft it showing up at the forge, but greyed out? Or is it not showing up at all? Check to see if it's installed correctly by opening the console in game, then typing 'help backpack' (without quotes). See if it shows up on the list of items that spams. If it does, then it's installed correctly and you are probably just either missing the crafting ingredients or maybe don't have the correct crafting perk.

Is the option to craft it showing up at the forge, but greyed out? Or is it not showing up at all? Check to see if it's installed correctly by opening the console in game, then typing 'help backpack' (without quotes). See if it shows up on the list of items that spams. If it does, then it's installed correctly and you are probably just either missing the crafting ingredients or maybe don't have the correct crafting perk.

Haha, I figured it out last night. I went and checked the mod page and it said "craftable at the forge". I know I read it when I first downloaded the mod, but I just had it in my mind that I need to use the tanning rack to make backpacks because that just makes more sense then making something out of hides, furs, and leather at the fires of a forge. So, I reinstalled the mod (I uninstalled it when I thought it wasn't working) and went to a forge, and sure enough, you can create them at a forge under the "Hide" section. What also helped me be confused is that the tanning racks have a "Hide" section for me, as well, due to another mod I have. So I was going to the tanning racks and checking under it's "Hide" section and finding nothing on backpacks.

I guess things are working out just fine with my computer and mods. I was just worried about more buginess. Skyrim is so buggy so at first I thought it was just more Skyrim issues.

Edited by Dubnoman