Why was the PC near Goodsprings?

formalrevya

The Mojave Express are trying to make money. It makes sense that they'd give their couriers more than one thing to carry, that way they get more than one delivery fee, but still only have to pay one set of wages. Your postman doesn't deliver one letter, then go back to the post office to collect the next one.

No way in hell House would have allowed that. He leaves nothing up to chance. You forget he hired 6 couriers just so 5 could be decoys. AND he sent Victor to watch you as well.

Edited by Fistandilius

The Mojave Express are trying to make money. It makes sense that they'd give their couriers more than one thing to carry, that way they get more than one delivery fee, but still only have to pay one set of wages. Your postman doesn't deliver one letter, then go back to the post office to collect the next one.

No way in hell House would have allowed that. He leaves nothing up to chance. You forget he hired 6 couriers just so 5 could be decoys. AND he sent Victor to watch you as well.

Victor was already IN Goodsprings for like 10 years or so if you hear the people there... XD

He also sent the chip by standard courier so as not to arouse suspicion. Paying over the odds so the courier could deliver a trinket without making any other, normal deliveries would definitely be seen as suspicious.

Victor was already IN Goodsprings for like 10 years or so if you hear the people there... XD

The fact that he was there just made it more convenient. It doesn't change the fact that House had Victor monitoring you the whole time. He pops up at several points in the game when you're in trouble or when you've completed a mission.

He's obviously able to travel wirelessly from securitron body to body because once you meet him at the strip, his body in Goodsprings is still there, but it's offline.

It always irritated me that Victor wasn't explained more. There was so much cut content in the game because of time constraints I'm sure, but you'd think they'd have at least fleshed out the main quest before worrying about side stuff. That's why I like FO3 so much better, because there's so much more to do, and Bethesda is so much better at fleshing out a world space, even if you don't like their story telling.

He also sent the chip by standard courier so as not to arouse suspicion. Paying over the odds so the courier could deliver a trinket without making any other, normal deliveries would definitely be seen as suspicious.

Except that we don't know that either of those things are true. We don't know that it was normal for couriers to take more than one package anymore than we know that it would be suspicious for them to take only one. I can't prove my point anymore than you can prove yours, but we do know that the Mohave is supposed to be a dangerous place (as is everywhere post apocalypse), so if you hire someone to deliver a package they're expected to be able to handle themselves and get the job done. Carrying two packages would delay your delivery even moreso than if they ran into trouble.

It's not like fedex where they can just drive around in their truck and just make an extra stop. It takes a while to walk from point a to point b. It doesn't take long in the game because well... it's a game. Just like you don't see all the people, just like you probably don't see all the dangers. When a package can potentially take days or months to deliver, I would wager it's uncommon to carry more than one at a time. But again.. we'll never know.

Like I said before, I don't think House leaves anything up to chance and I'd still bet that the courier had no deliveries for Good Springs.

As a final point; when Doc Mitchell patches you up, he finds only one receipt for delivery and there's no reason for Benny to take your receipts when he believes you're dead.

Hmm... I was all set to argue, and then your last point blew me out of the water. Well played!

I still think that it would be more normal to take multiple items with you (although Goodsprings stuff would more likely be bundled with stuff for smaller settlements like Sloan and Primm, I'd say Vegas would be big enough and get enough deliveries that you could load your courier up with five or ten deliveries for there and send them on their way without waiting too long), but in this case, it looks like it was just the chip.

Which brings us back to the opening post...

Except that we don't know that either of those things are true. We don't know that it was normal for couriers to take more than one package anymore than we know that it would be suspicious for them to take only one. I can't prove my point anymore than you can prove yours, but we do know that the Mohave is supposed to be a dangerous place (as is everywhere post apocalypse), so if you hire someone to deliver a package they're expected to be able to handle themselves and get the job done. Carrying two packages would delay your delivery even moreso than if they ran into trouble.

It's not like fedex where they can just drive around in their truck and just make an extra stop. It takes a while to walk from point a to point b. It doesn't take long in the game because well... it's a game. Just like you don't see all the people, just like you probably don't see all the dangers. When a package can potentially take days or months to deliver, I would wager it's uncommon to carry more than one at a time. But again.. we'll never know.

Like I said before, I don't think House leaves anything up to chance and I'd still bet that the courier had no deliveries for Good Springs.

As a final point; when Doc Mitchell patches you up, he finds only one receipt for delivery and there's no reason for Benny to take your receipts when he believes you're dead.

It is unlogical for a Courier NOT to take more then one package that are all on roughly the same route... :\

Also their good be a variety of reasons why a Courier would wanna make a pitstop somewhere, Goodsprings is a good source of fresh water.

Or maybe the Courier was ambushed just outside Primm and Benny wanted to bury him/her in a proper grave in a cementary? ;)

It is unlogical for a Courier NOT to take more then one package that are all on roughly the same route... :\

How is it illogical? Like I said before, taking more than one package makes it less certain that a delivery is going to get there at all with the dangers of the Mohave. Added to the fact that House could have (probably did) pay for direct delivery, and has a reputation for being someone you don't F with, and the Mohave Express wouldn't want to risk THEIR reputation by not making the delivery.

Also, don't forget, Ulysses refused the job and he's supposed to be some kind of bad***. Probably because he knew how dangerous it was and wanted the Courier to take the job (to get back at him), or he just didn't take the job because he knew the powerful people involved.

There's so many reasons for the Courier to NOT make any extra detours just based on all the factors involved.

You can weigh the facts over and over again, but the simplest explanation is usually the right one. Benny was on his way to intercept the package, he probably set an ambush and the Courier fled through Goodsprings to try and get away.

And again, let me reiterate: We know there was one receipt for delivery when Doc Mitchell found you and there is no reason for Benny to have taken any other receipts.

Edited by Fistandilius

• 4 months later...

One way to look at it - Maybe Mojave Express/Couriers are not the kind of people one messes with-

1) The various factions talk about wiping out their rivals/taking over the Wasteland. . .yet the Express/Couriers, while can be considered a Faction of sorts isn't in anybody's equations about revenge or conquest. Maybe there is a bit of a 'Leave us alone(Couriers/Express) and we'll leave you alone(everyone else)'. Between Benny and couple of other character who 'forces' the Courier to do one thing or another gets the Courier involved in major events he/she would normally not bother with.

2) Ancient Tradition/Real Life History Lesson - Once read that in ancient Greece, the Greeks would be fighting an enemy. Then during a battle a Messenger(Courier) would be seen running near the battlefield on a job. Both sides would STOP FIGHTING until the Messenger was safely and far enough away from the battlefield. When the Messenger was safely away, the battle would resume. Yeah, a Courier's route can run through a Legion Camp with no problem as long as Point Number 1 is in affect. This is the same Legion who has no problem razing a town to the ground while forcing a hellish lottery on people. So the Legion for the most part keeps the ancient tradition of 'Do not interfere with a Messenger(Courier)'.

3) The expressions on the faces of the two Khans in the intro movie show that what Benny was going to do and did do(shoot the Courier) was a really, REALLY bad idea. These are the same two Khans(one of them anyway) who had no problem kidnapping a couple of NCR soldiers which pissed off other NCR soldiers just to force a stalemate. Yet when the Courier shows up, the Khan in question freaks out that the Courier did in fact survive a bullet to the head and is actually more scared of the Courier than the NCR.

4) The Samus Aran Effect. Ever play a game where your character starts out uber-strong only to have something happen to lose all that power and you have to start from scratch and regain it all? The same thing can be said of the Courier by means of getting a bullet in the brain. That kind of damage has to play havoc on what makes up the SPECIAL including Charisma(which in part is the ability to properly speak) on top of the other physical and mental(Intelligence) stuff. I don't think one of the Great Khans simply ran up to the Courier from behind and knocked him/her out that fast. I think there was a small fierce battle beforehand and someone eventually go the knockout blow in.

So what does this have to do with the Courier's original route that no other sane person would take? Simply put the Deathclaws in the area were about as much as a threat to the Courier as some idiot mugger hopped up on Jet flinging his/her arms around without even Hand Bandages to use as a weapon would be. However getting a bullet to the brain took all those abilities and skills away forcing the Courier to take the longer route to Vegas.(Number 4)

Now all that does seem like a giant exaggeration and it may well be but here are some other possibilities -

1) The Courier needed to stock up on fresh supplies and that meant fresh water. The Courier went to the Goodsprings Water Supply(where Sunny takes the Courier to kill Geckos) to get some fresh water.(1) Benny and the Khans tracked the Courier there and when the Courier began drawing water, that's when the ambush happened. Then Benny and Khans dragged the Courier to the Graveyard where events were set in motion.

2) The Courier's original plan was to evade the Deathclaws but also that town the Legion razed to the ground near Primm(forgot its name). That town was considered a cesspool by everyone who mentions it and the majority of people wanted nothing to do with it. Its probably so bad that Couriers don't go there unless they have no choice like a job. There are other possible routes, although longer, that evade both Deathclaws and that town. One of the possible routes took the Courier to Goodsprings at night where the ambush happened.

(1) Always felt the Courier suffered partial amnesia from the bullet to the head. Granted things have to be spelled out for the players(especially new players) so they'll know what is going on, but story wise, the Courier oddly didn't know the kind of things one would expect him/her to know. In this case not knowing Goodsprings getting its name from having a radiation free water supply which an experience traveler like a Courier should know.

All excellent points! Especially number 1, despite Obsidian saying the Courier does not suffer mermory loss,not knowing where Primm is when it's where you were given the package (or knowing who the guy that GAVE you the package, Nash, is) means memory loss.

Hmmm, I'm perhaps one of the few people here who has worked as a courier, specifically a motorcycle messenger so what many here are misunderstanding, is the point of a courier is to give a package 'exclusive' attention. That's what your paid for, your not a postman, your a courier, like the difference between a bodyguard and a policeman.

So Fistandilius, there only one reason not to make unnecessary detours - your client is paying you not to :laugh:

Umm the intro movie takes place in Goodsprings cemetary aye. But courier could have been ambushed anywhere and dragged there for whatever purpose maybe. Also I am led to believe that courier isn't really familiar with mojave and the chip delivery is 1st job he / she took after delivering the detonator to great divide missile silo. So if they didn't know about Sloan's problem it's cause they are not familiar with mojave (since they ran deliveries elsewhere).

Also following the main road is usually the most logical solution.

Edited by k361