Dragonborn unplayable

Illuminated888

Even with the unofficial Dragonborn patch the game is unplayable all because I cannot absorb dragon souls and because I cannot fly on dragons. I tried starting a new game and still can't absorb ANY dragon souls. I deactivated every single mod that could have caused the problem and still won't work. The dragonborn unofficial patch AND Skyrim UP are installed and still cannot absorb dragon souls or ride on the dragon. I tried console cheating but when I get to the last boss I am just stuck up there because I cannot absorb the dragon souls and the end of the quest will not trigger because apparently the game thinks he is still alive unless I devour his soul. I am assuming you absorb his soul because he is dragonborn right? Anyway the point is that the whole thing is unplayable and a waste of money. 20 bucks down the drain except for the nice werebear mod I found but that was it really. Could have bought Crusader Kings ll though... oh well what is done is done. I hope someone finds a way to fix this horribly broken excuse for DLC.

Did you try to deactivate USKP? A few player reported that deactivating USKP allowed them to absorb dragon souls again.

Unfortunately, this appears to be a transient vanilla Skyrim bug, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Mods or DLC. No-one I'm aware of has managed to find what causes the problem or a definitive solution, but I have found a work around that seems to sort it out but it may involve killing a number of dragons to get things back on track. If you try it and it works, if you could give details of how often you had to do it before you're able to absorb souls again, it may help others later. I've cut and pasted the solution for you that I posted here

Nemesis Dec 19, 2012 @ 11:56am

The Dragon soul bug has been around since before the PC version was released, so it has nothing to do with this Mod. I've found a fix that seems to work using the console. Please be VERY careful when using it though, if you get it wrong it could break your game.

First, open the console and click on the dead dragon that didn't provide a soul on death.

Then, type in the console command:- disable

This should cause the dragon to disappear, if not, you MUST use the command :- enable

and then close the console, re-open it again and again try to click on the dragon, repeat the above procedure until it's the dragon that disappears, only once you have definitely ONLY disabled the dragon (it's disappeared when "disable" was used)

then use the console command:- markfordelete

The next time you return from a save, that particular dragon is removed from the game and so cannot re-spawn without a soul.

Edited by NemesisTheWarlock

there is (or was, not sure if they've fixed it) a problem with the Unoffical skyrim patch mod, if Im not mistaken its related to a script called "dragonactorscript.pex"

from what Ive heard the dragonborn patch mod fixes it, but incase it doesnt. there was a post shortly after dragonborn came out, which said you can fix it by grabbing that same script (mentioned above) from your extracted dragonborn bsa files and putting it into your

\data\scripts

folder.

I can safely say it worked for me.

There was also something mentioned about making sure to remove the file once a fix was made, not quite sure how to link to another thread so Im afraid you'l have to search for it if you want to know more.

pretty sure it was one of the top few categories on the skyrim sub-forum.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SkyrimForDaWin

It's a problem with the SKSE. I just deactivated the mods that use the SKSE and started playing Skyrim with the normal launcher and it worked perfectly. I'm about to contact the SKSE team right now to let them know about the problem.

Apparently, this doesnt work for everyone. I tried and it didnt fix the problem. Im stuck at the final battle. I "kill" miraak, he turns ethereal and kills one of the dragons but even he cant absorb the soul so he just stands there, invincible.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man. I got to the island... cannot consume dragon souls but WORST is when I slip into the other dimensions, I cannot move except to walk in a line and turn. I cannot draw weapons, I cannot fight, etc. It SUCKS! I disabled everything and it still doesn't work. I got the one file that did not verify and it said it would download but as far as I can tell nothing changed. This is so frustrating. I cannot tell what it is because disabling all my scripts, disabling SKSE ... did not work. Does that mean I have to disable everything FIRST and start a new character?! That would stink.