Strange Shadow-Area-Around-Me Bug?

Andross2000

Hello! While playing Dragonborn, I had left Raven Rock to the outskirts, only to notice an annoying shaded area that surrounds my character everywhere I go. It's almost as if I have some effect on or something. I have been playing this expansion since it unlocked on steam, and it seems odd to have happened all of a sudden.

I have tried removing everything in my inventory, tried messing with the .ini settings, getting fresh .ini settings, removing mods, and it still persists.

Would love to know to the cause, or some theories. ANY insights would be EXTREMELY appreciative...THANK YOU! :)

Here is a video of what's going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEu7gfMbtPg

Thanks a lot, once again.

Edited by Andross2000

This has been happening to me too. I thought it might have been my .ini settings; it wasn't. I thought it might have been RCRN; it wasn't. I have no idea what it is. It persists even with no mods enabled at all.

Good to know I am not the only one! Very comforting. Have you any ENB settings/lighting mods you've ever messed with?

I've noticed the same thing in my game since I first started playing it. After searching a bit, I've come to the conclusion that it's a result of shadow fade-in. The whole area should be shadowed like the circle around you, but skyrim only draws shadows out to a certain radius. Everything outside that radius is brighter, so it looks like you're carrying around a pool of shadow.

Try going to an empty field around midday (in-game) and see if the shadow is still as clearly visible. If it's not, then what I've described is the cause of your problem. If it looks just same something else is causing it.

If the cause is as I've described, the only fix I've found is to change the fShadowDistance setting in skyrimprefs.ini to 0.

Good to know I am not the only one! Very comforting. Have you any ENB settings/lighting mods you've ever messed with?

The only lighting mod I've ever used is Realistic Colors and Real Nights.

And for the record, I didn't notice this problem until installing Dragonborn and going to Solstheim. The effect is separate from normal shadow fade-in.

Edited by LunarDelta

Still doesn't work. Mid Day it is the same as well. Still having a lot of bloody trouble with this. Thank you for the post&help though. I tried even setting everything in the .ini that had to do with shadows to 0. What should I do, just bloody reinstall the game over again?? Do you think verifying steam cache is worth a go?

The only lighting mod I've ever used is Realistic Colors and Real Nights.

And for the record, I didn't notice this problem until installing Dragonborn and going to Solstheim. The effect is separate from normal shadow fade-in.

Good to know then. I don't have either of those mods and only noticed it on Solstheim so far, can rule mods/DLC out.

Edited by Andross2000

I'm having the same issues but to be honest I wasn't that bothered by it as I have a much worse problem which is causing my sky lighting to be so bright whist using any ENB that is washes out the rest of the scene. Anyway I came across your question whist looking for a solution to that and I have an idea for a fix on your issue.

Most ENB settings suggest you change the shadow draw distance setting in you skyrim ini to 4000 from 8000, to improve shadow sharpness. Perhaps if you make this value larger the ring of shadow around you character would move to a distance where you wouldn't see it anymore.