Mod Limit CTD

CemeteryN7

I've been having an issue with F4 ctd'ing after so many mods. I know there's a limit (254), I'm not even there. I've spent quite a bit of time to figure out which mod it is, but it doesn't seem to matter what I install, I've tried doing things several different ways. Each time my F4 crashes at 138/139 mods, any ideas? I'm using vortex, loot, and xEdit and from what I can see, everything seems to be working just fine. No real conflicts to cause it (again, doesn't matter the mods, just more-so the amount).

Edited by CemeteryN7

Windows 10 (64)

Intel Zeon CPU E5-2678 2.50GHz

Nvidia Quadro P5000

12 GB RAM

I can't imagine it would be anything with my hardware. I fired up Skyrim and brought it the actual mod limit and everything worked fine. This is the second platform that I've tried with Fallout 4 on and it's doing the exact same thing.

Edited by CemeteryN7

That doesn't matter. CTD is only caused by a few things. The computer system isn't one of the causes for CTD. If the system will run the game then that is enough to play it. Plenty of players ran FO4 with hardware below spec. On the other hand, the build of the game in this situation the OP is talking about CTD at 254 mods or at limitations of load order .esm/.esp ; that is caused by conflicts which result in a un-tested build. Get it? There ain't no QA on that. The game might be 30-40 GB, but the mods might be another 30-40 GB plus another 30-40 GB (Hell you need 60GB of mods just to make FO4 fun).

So... No big deal. Uninstall everything, if you want use Steam to make a backup install disc of the game so you won't have to download it again. Do that in Steam, top left, file, backup and restore games. I mean, search Steam Backup And Restore games. Once you got the backup made, remove the game, and everything left in the Steam/Steamapps/Common/Fallout4 <--- folder, that's all the mods, emb, F4SE, ect. Compress it, and write it to disk to make a BACKUP copy. Also you should grab the load order @ Users/Name/Appdata/Local/Fallout4 It's in hidden folders, show those, or grab a save game and use Fallrim Tools to extract the load order later.

Next time you build a load order, don't do it all at once. Add a little bit to it, and then play test that. I tend to download the mods, but install them in the order I want it to load. I might move it around a little bit, but I'm not sitting there with 254 mods I'm trying to put into a order. Also I don't really clean anything until there is a problem, and I don't usually fix anything with xEdit unless there is a problem. Most of the QA or stability is built into the load order because I built it slow over many months, and tested it constantly. Then you know, it's not a big deal because I would encourage you to built many different load orders, as to find the best way to change the game for yourself.

Good Luck,

SpaceMachineSixThousandOne

P.S. Also, you probalby shouldn't play really janky low quality games like ZeniMax/Bethesda makes.