Why does Doc Mitchell give the Courier his Pipboy?

888mikem888

No one knows. This is one of those REALLY BAD design decisions that just make you want to pull your hair out.

I like to pretend that the pip-boy - or in my case the Readius - was simply the courier's in the first place and Doc Mitchell is just returning it.

Which DOES ask why Benny and the goons didn't take it, but eh, it's better than Doc Mitchell just randomly handing over this fine piece of equipment for no sensible reason.

No one knows. This is one of those REALLY BAD design decisions that just make you want to pull your hair out.

I like to pretend that the pip-boy - or in my case the Readius - was simply the courier's in the first place and Doc Mitchell is just returning it.

Which DOES ask why Benny and the goons didn't take it, but eh, it's better than Doc Mitchell just randomly handing over this fine piece of equipment for no sensible reason.

Heh Yea I guess. Even if I had a Pipboy that I don't use any more I'd keep just because, well, it's a Pipboy. Maybe he felt it would help the Courier more then it would others. I don't know it's one of those game details that the more you think about the more frustrated you get because there is no explenation.

How did it ever come off? last I checked you can't get those things off without choping an arm off.

'The Pip-Boy 3000 features a biometric lock that can only be opened by either the user or a skilled technician.'

'Despite Stanley in Fallout 3 saying Pip-Boys can't be removed, at the start of Fallout: New Vegas Doc Mitchell gives you his old one (meaning he must have had it removed). '

See its because Doc Mitch is the Mojave's go to guy. He's got everything in that house of his to modern combat gear to M4 carbines and any other weapons you cant think of. Nobody really knows why he has all this stuff, some say he used to be a caravan hijacker back in his prime and this was all the stuff he had robbed over his time. Others say it just magically appears in house every so often. But that's just ridiculous.

How did it ever come off? last I checked you can't get those things off without choping an arm off.

'The Pip-Boy 3000 features a biometric lock that can only be opened by either the user or a skilled technician.'

'Despite Stanley in Fallout 3 saying Pip-Boys can't be removed, at the start of Fallout: New Vegas Doc Mitchell gives you his old one (meaning he must have had it removed). '

I can't remember the exact dialogue, but the one you get in 3 is a earlier model. It's still apart of the 3k series, but it's probably first generation tech. It's possible that later revisions would be removable.

Unrelated but I've always thought that having Doc Mitchel being the survivor from Vault 11 would have been much more intresting, lore wise, instead of him being from vault 21.

I think it's because he's getting on in years and he might have thought of giving it away for a while now, then he sees this young courier going fresh into the world and decides this is the perfect opportunity. Kind of like passing on the torch to the next generation.

You see the Boomers (former vault dwellers) with pip-boys and they never mention yours, nor do many other people in the game despite a majority of them (NCR and their allies, the people of the strip who either live at or have been to the vault hotel) supposed to have had knowledge about them, the brotherhood and Mr. Hose I'm petty sure send you messages with but it's likely that most people see them as unessacary.