New to Skyrim on PC

Roach75

Hello all,

I read over on the Steam workshop forums that that the Nexus Mod Manager and the nexus forums are the best place to find and install mods for Skyrim. As I've been following some of the mods with envy since playing on PS3 I've finally moved over to PC gaming.

I'm not entirely new to mods as I've used several for other games I've owned over the years, using JSGME also sometimes.

So, I'm looking to start small, and am looking for essentials and eye candy really, I have a capable rig I think, (running vanilla Skyrim at ultra no probs) and would appreciate some suggestions for maybe up to 10 or so must have mods to get me started. I have looked at Skyrim UI and whilst it looks great I'm not sure I'll need it as I'm using an XBOX controller.

I've started a new game and have only got as far as Riverwood, gaining the Claw quest and the one to go to Whiterun to alert the Jarl.

Cheers

P.S. Sorry if I should have posted this in the mods section, but that looked like it was more for creators than users.

What kind of mods are you interested in? You will find mods that add Quests, Add to game play and beautification mods. I would suggest checking a list of top 25 mods for skyrim and searching them in nexus.

Bug fixers and eye candy really,

I've had a look at quite a few lists already, but there are so many lists out there and some of the mods are run together for that person to get the best of both which is confusing for me at this time. Also they are often months old now so I thought It would be best to hear from those of you actually playing the game.

A good place to start is looking at the top endorsed files, your are usually going to get well proven mods that way. For textures, look at the texture pack combiner mod and the automatic variants mod. Their pages will also mention other eye candy mods you could look at. Make sure you read the mod requirements and use NMM or mod organizer which make installing and configuring mods easy and along with BOSS will keep things in order.

Also look at enb's and lighting effect mods. I run the climates of Tamriel mod with a compatible enb and the realistic ligniting overhaul mod.

What spec hardware do you have, I run a 3gb 7970 and its easy to push that to the limits with texture mods.

Using the mods I've mentioned above wil get some looking pretty good using wel supported and tested mods.

Good luck and enjoy it

Chris

A good place to start is looking at the top endorsed files, your are usually going to get well proven mods that way. For textures, look at the texture pack combiner mod and the automatic variants mod. Their pages will also mention other eye candy mods you could look at. Make sure you read the mod requirements and use NMM or mod organizer which make installing and configuring mods easy and along with BOSS will keep things in order.

Also look at enb's and lighting effect mods. I run the climates of Tamriel mod with a compatible enb and the realistic ligniting overhaul mod.

What spec hardware do you have, I run a 3gb 7970 and its easy to push that to the limits with texture mods.

Using the mods I've mentioned above wil get some looking pretty good using wel supported and tested mods.

Good luck and enjoy it

Chris

Hi, thanks for the reply, been doing some d/l with NMM. I have a Gigabyte HD7970 Ghz Edition, 8gb Ram and a iirc a I5 3750k

The ENBs look like they change some ini files or something? Is it ok to mess with those if you don't really know what you're changing?

What's BOSS?

So far I've got the Unofficial Skyrim Patch, the HD 2k textures, realistic lighting, map with roads, static mesh improvement mod. I'm going for the immersive Armours and Weapons next.

Not tried installing any of them yet though, how does it work exactly, can I uninstall and install at any point during my game?

Cheers :sweat:

@Roach75:

If you want to use ENB's you MUST read and understand the installtion instructions. Print em out and read and refer to them while installing. It IS safe - if installed exactly to spec.

BOSS is "Better Oblivion Sorting Software" but is applicable and usable to any of the Bethesda engined games - Fallout3, New vegas, Oblivion, Morrowind & SKYRIM.

It is a tool for sorting out your load order AND it assists in finding 'dirty' edits in mods. (Take a look at Gophers vids on Utube - he has a video tutorial on BOSS and another on TESVEdit (which is how you sort out the 'dirty' edits Bertween BOSS and TESVEdit, you should resolve 95% of any mod issues BOSS is updated very frequently, almost daily sometimes so make sure you set it to update on launch.

The Nexus Mod Manager is also a must- it utilises BOSS in sorting so make sure you have BOSS installed, and it will also use SKSE to lauch the program -Make sure you install that too.

SKSE- SKYRIM SCRIPT EXTENDER - provides extra functionality for many complex mods - some Like SKYUI require it. Again, when installing make sure you READ and UNderstand exactly how to to it.

Good luck and happy modding. (And remember RTFM for every MOD you load in....)

B

Edited by Brett41

Very good advice in this thread, not much to add so here are a couple of mods that I simply wouldn't like to play without.

SkyUI- Requires SKSE to be installed. I'll admit I was a little hesitant to install SKSE at first, I tend to be just a tad paranoid about things I don't fully understand :) But I'm very glad I did. The functionality in this UI is far superior to vanilla.

Project Reality-Climates Lighting and weather. Love this mod primarily for the darker nights/ dungeons etc. really adds to the immersion.

JaySuS swords + Immersive Armors are a must for me tbh.

And finally, as an unrepentant Argonian lover...

Drachis Argonians mod - A re-texture of the Argonian skin that is just without compare. Unfortunately it's only for males at the moment, hopefully this will change as it is simply brilliant.

Just personal opinions of course, I don't use a large number of mods and am still deciding on which (if any) game-play changing mods I want to use.

Edited by BobTheBouncer

Wow, only left it a day and already on the 3rd page, not been on such an active forum for a while.

Thanks for explaining BOSS for me Brett41, I am using the latest NMM but hadn't installed BOSS or even considered doing so. Same with SKSE, did read a bit on that and my feelings on it are about the same as BobTheBouncer, I'll look at both again today I hope. Yesterday was spent enjoying the experience with the few mods I've already D/L, have to say I'm absolutely stunned by the difference in experience I'm having on PC over PS3, awesome!

Thanks everyone

Roach