Uninstalled OBGE - Now can't load a save without crash

Autre31415

As the title implies, I uninstalled the latest OBGE version, as well as the shader package with it's esp file and the liquid water plugin with its esp, and now I can't load any of my saves without an instant crash. I get the load screen, and instantly it goes to the desktop without an error message. I've been researching this and the only I found was someone accidentally deleting shader files, but I didn't touch any of those. Also I reinstalled all the mods again, made the bashed patch again and when I go to load I don't get the error saying content is missing, but it still crashes anyway now. I had no idea removing this could cause so many problems. I also tried the Oblivion.ini trick to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated as I've logged a lot of hours into this character and this is a disaster. :(

--UPDATE: Well it doesn't seem to be an issue with my saves, if I try to start a new game the loading bar goes and bam instant crash.

Some data from the mod is saved as a part of every save that was made while it was installed. Now, the game is looking for something from the mod in the cell you are in when you start and cannot find it.

To get your game to load again, reinstall the mod. Start and test the last save before you uninstalled it. If that works - Now, load the save you want to use after you remove that mod. - go to a safe place - usually an inside cell that has never been modded - the Lobby of the Tiber Septum is usually a good one - after removing a mod you may have all kinds of interesting things show up there. As anything that was in a modded cell, that was not a part of the removed mod will spawn in the lobby of the Tiber Septum when you start the game without that mod (deer, wildlife, dremora, sheep, npcs and others. :tongue: Another safe place - if you have modded the Tiber Septum is the testing Hall - use the console "COC Testing Hall"

Make a save there - test it - (close the game and restart using that save). Now close the game again and remove that mod. Start the game and use that save. You will be able to continue from that point, but every other save using that mod will still cause a crash.

Thanks for the reply:

When I uninstalled OBGE I was getting that message when loading a save that content was missing, and of course the instant crash (My location was the dark brotherhood sanctuary, and I have a ring that lights 60ft active on) So what I tried after that was reinstalling OBGE, as well as the optional effects I already had and used BOSS to reset the order. So now when I try to load that save it doesn't tell me there's missing content (Of course because the mod is back so everything is the same as when I made the save) But it instantly crashes anyway. :( I tried loading a super old save as well and the same thing happened. The next thing I tried was deleting OBGE.ini in the user folder (Something I missed before) and also backed up my oblivion.ini and loaded the game, and it still crashed. So I restored my ini, and tried loading without the OBSE loader. Still no dice. I've read that OBGE doesn't interfere with things like other mods do and is just a shader, and people swear it never causes these issues unless it's not installed correctly, but it is the only thing that has changed with this crashing result, I haven't uninstalled or installed any other mods in the process, I just wanted to remove this one because I imagined it would boost my frame rate. :(

I'm not sure what else to try other than reinstalling the game, which will definitely be a long step I would like to avoid if possible.

EDIT: The Oblivion Crash Prevention System actually throws up a log when this crash happens, of course it's definitely not being prevented because it's happening but here's the log if anyone can interpret it.

Sat Feb 09 22:38:52 2013 OCPS build 2009-03-28 prevented crash at offset 0x000b29ce (eip: 0x004b29ce, sub_4B2980). Invalid object pointer: 0x00000000 (vtbl: 0xffffffff)!

eax=00000000 ebx=2ce44c60 ecx=4f3984b4 edx=00b39e80 esi=00000000 edi=2873c180 esp=0018f118 ebp=2ce44c60

It sounds like something went wrong during the uninstallation of OBGE. Either a setting got missed or changed or a file is now missing that should be there for the vanilla game to run.

Did you try these two items out of the readme yet?

flushcache.bat: When run, this removes all the compiled shader files OBGEv3 generates. This should be run whenever you change what OBGEv3 packages you have installed, eg. installing/uninstalling Shader Modules.

A straightforward uninstall of OBGEv3 Core may result in a crash-on-load of your savegame. To avoid this occurring, try the following procedure.

1.Set bSaveData=0 in your OBGE.ini, found in your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder.

2.Load your saved game in Oblivion, and then save in a new slot.

3.Uninstall OBGEv3 Core.

If that doesn't work, then I can post the shaders from my working installation and my backup just before I installed obge. We can look to see what's missing.

Edited by talveren

I'm not sure if OBGE makes changes to Oblivion.ini, but you could try renaming your Oblivion.ini to Oblivionini.old and then restart the game as far as the menu and exit. The game will build a new Oblivion.ini after it tries to ID your hardware (which is why often you'll need to do things like reset your video settings). If you can start the game without a crash using your post OBGE clean save then use your Oblivionini.old to transfer any additional Oblivion.ini edits you may have made in the past (non-OBGE related).

It sounds like something went wrong during the uninstallation of OBGE. Either a setting got missed or changed or a file is now missing that should be there for the vanilla game to run.

Did you try these two items out of the readme yet?

flushcache.bat: When run, this removes all the compiled shader files OBGEv3 generates. This should be run whenever you change what OBGEv3 packages you have installed, eg. installing/uninstalling Shader Modules.

A straightforward uninstall of OBGEv3 Core may result in a crash-on-load of your savegame. To avoid this occurring, try the following procedure.

1.Set bSaveData=0 in your OBGE.ini, found in your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder.

2.Load your saved game in Oblivion, and then save in a new slot.

3.Uninstall OBGEv3 Core.

If that doesn't work, then I can post the shaders from my working installation and my backup just before I installed obge. We can look to see what's missing.

Well when I reinstalled OBGE again it didn't stop the problem, and I did try that ini tweak, so I must have deleted something incorrectly, problem is I have no clue what it could be as I was very precise about which files I removed (All the sdps are untouched). I haven't tried that bat file yet, so my next course of action will be trying to remove everything in that more proper way and see what happens.

Also I did try the ini trick before and the crash still happens, so we know it isn't there.

EDIT: So I tried the batch file, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling OBGE several times and no dice, so I believe we're at the point where something went wrong with a file. I can't load a save or even create a new game without the instant crash, so I've even ruled out saves being the issue and I've also removed weOPS.dll and even tried loading the game with the regular launcher skipping OBSE and the problem still happens.

Before I post long lists of files, check one more thing.

Go to Data\Menus\main\hud_main_menu.xml

Open that file in notepad. Don't use wordpad, or word, or anything else that adds its own information to the file.

Look for this line:

<include src="OBGEController\OBGEController.xml" />

If you find that line, then copy the hud_main_menu.xml somewhere (so you can put it back if this doesn't work)

Now, remove that include line

Be careful to remove the entire line from the opening < to the closing /> and Don't remove anything else.

Save the file as hud_main_menu.xml in the same folder you found it in.

Try and start a new game in Oblivion.

Edited by talveren

Before I post long lists of files, check one more thing.

Go to Data\Menus\main\hud_main_menu.xml

Open that file in notepad. Don't use wordpad, or word, or anything else that adds its own information to the file.

Look for this line:

If you find that line, then copy the hud_main_menu.xml somewhere (so you can put it back if this doesn't work)

Now, remove that include line

Be careful to remove the entire line from the opening < to the closing /> and Don't remove anything else.

Save the file as hud_main_menu.xml in the same folder you found it in.

Try and start a new game in Oblivion.

I had some hope with this one, but upon inspecting the file that line isn't in there. :(

Alright, I'll post these images as I finish them.

This image is for the shaders folder before OBGE is installed.

After you remove OBGE, you should have these files at approximately the same size as I do.

I believe the Date Modified shown in this screenshot is from the last time I re-installed Oblivion.

http://i.imgur.com/BIjpbga.png

The following image is for the OBSE plugins folder. Once you've uninstalled OBGE, the OBGEv2.dll should be missing.

http://i.imgur.com/cVN4G2S.png

These are the textures added by the CORE. These shouldn't cause your game to crash on load whether or not they are present.

http://imgur.com/AKMIsmf

Edited by talveren