Slowing down world time

Panzer4

I would like to slow down the passage of time in Cyrodil. I tried the method in the Oblivion Tweak Guide, which is as follows:

fGlobalTimeMultiplier=1.0000 - Raising the value above 1 speeds up the rate at which world time passes, lowering it below 1 slows down time. This setting is interesting for watching rapid-motion sunsets/sunrises for example.

The result was that everything slowed down; for example, the speed at which NPCs walk slowed with each decrease in the number I tried. Is there another setting anyone knows of or perhaps a mod that will just slow the passage of time without slowing down actions within the world?

I would like to slow down the passage of time in Cyrodil. I tried the method in the Oblivion Tweak Guide, which is as follows:

fGlobalTimeMultiplier=1.0000 - Raising the value above 1 speeds up the rate at which world time passes, lowering it below 1 slows down time. This setting is interesting for watching rapid-motion sunsets/sunrises for example.

The result was that everything slowed down; for example, the speed at which NPCs walk slowed with each decrease in the number I tried. Is there another setting anyone knows of or perhaps a mod that will just slow the passage of time without slowing down actions within the world?

TimeScale is what you want, but beware that it can, and does, break certain quests if you have TimeScale set to anything other than the default 30 when the quest starts -- the paintings with the trolls in Cheydinhal is one such quest.

In the console type:

<For real time>

set timescale to 1

<For default game time>

set timescale to 30

I think you can do it with a Bashed Patch. When you click on Rebuild Patch, you get a set of options. Click Tweak Settings, Check Timescale. Right click on Timescale and pick which one you want. 30 is the default ratio of in game time to real world time. That means 30 game hours to 1 real hour. So if you want it to be half that, you set it to 15 game hours to 1 real hour. If you set it to 1, then in game time passes at the same rate as real world time.

You can also do this in game using a console command. I don't know if that one is permanent between gaming sessions because I've never tried to use it.

From uesp.net http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Console#set_timescale

set timescale to <qty> sets the speed of how fast time advances in-game Default value is 30. Setting the value to 1 will make time advance at the same rate as the real world. Setting value to negative will reverse time, but will turn the clock to negative values if allowed to past midnight. To fix glitches related to negative time, use the console command set gamehour to 0

Altering the value of timescale can cause bugs to occur during various quests (e.g., A Brush with Death, Where Spirits Have Lease). Resetting timescale to the default value of 30 fixes the bugs.

The last way I know of to do it is to use Francisco's. It's one of the options you can enable when you install it with the .omod or the BAIN wizard.

Edit: Sorry, Hickory, I didn't see your post about this. :/

I'll leave the reference in mine so Op knows how to fix those quests when they break.

Edited by talveren

Many thanks to you both for your very clear and complete replies. I think I'll go ahead and set it probably to 15 and hope that I remember to reset it for the quests you mentioned. If I don't remember, I gather that resetting it once the quest breaks will set it right, correct? Again thank you both.

Details about the bug is available at the UESP Wiki pages A Brush with Death and Where Spirits Have Lease (just scroll to the Bugs section at the bottom of the page if you want to avoid unnecessary spoilers).

Thanks Striker879. However, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've rebuilt the bashed patch using a variety of changed settings and am not getting any change in the movement of time. What got me onto this was seeing the hands speed around the dial on the clocks from the Clocks of Cyrodil mod. I set the timescale to 12, then custom 15, and finally to 1 to see if there was any difference, and the time passed at the same rate, with the Cyrodil time synced to the time as shown on the clocks. I checked the timescale box, unchecked it, and rebuilt the patch repeatedly but no luck. Finally I set it back to default 30. What am I doing wrong?

Hickory or talveren will be the go to guys for that ... I'm still an WB hold-out and I've never toyed with the console command. It would be simple to test whether the console command sticks between sessions, just set it to 1, save and exit and then see if the change persists when you reload.

I'm not sure how Clocks Of Cyrodiil works, and whether it takes TimeScale into account or not. But here's a way to check for sure if your timescale has changed: go to one of the far corners of the map (Anvil, Cheydinhal, Leyawiin, Chorrol) and then fast travel to the opposite corner of the map. Assuming your timescale is at default, a lot of game time will have passed by. If your timescale is set low (1, for instance), virtually no game time will have passed. If your timescale is not as it should be (per your Bashed Patch) after doing that, set it in the console and try the above again. If it works from the console, then something is amiss with the Bashed Patch.

Edit:

I don't know how I forgot this -- I guess I haven't played Oblivion for quite some time -- but an easier way to check is via the console. Just type:

show timescale

DOH!

It would be simple to test whether the console command sticks between sessions,

Yes, it does. Timescale is saved as part of the save game, so is kept between sessions. In that sense, a Bashed Patch tweak is not needed at all.

The console command worked like a charm and it persisted into the next session. I had really expected the bashed patch approach to work, though, and now I'm still puzzled over why it didn't. Ah well. The Nine are mysterious in their ways. Thanks a million for all the help.