[WIP] Dunaduan

EnaiSiaion

Dunaduan

"Dark Axis", the name given to the polar mountain by a dunmer slaver fleet that got pulled in and crashed on a nearby island. They took the lemons life gave them and made lemonade and a nice village: (WIP! WIP!)

http://i49.tinypic.com/vnzg9h.jpg

This is where you ended up after a strong magnetic force yanked you off the coast of Skyrim and dropped you into the Sea of Ghosts. Now to find a way back that does not involve a boat ("The currents are... interesting around here" -Captain Varkas) or swimming (you turn into an ice block if you spend too long in the water). Also, there is this mysterious "rival" of Azura, and the weather gradually takes a turn for the spooky and you are likely to be eaten by a grue if you stray into the darkness.

Yes, there is voice acting.

Quests

The mod uses a nonlinear hub-style quest system. Basically you are free to go wherever you want - everything is there whether you activated the quest or not, and you can just pick up the quest wherever and whenever you cross its path. Quests are started in a variety of locations, some blatantly obvious, some rather well hidden. Explore! Explore!

On the topic of exploration, the quests are NOT like the classic Follow The Big Retard Arrow And Kill Everything In Your Path quests. Arrows only appear if you are actually expected to know where the location is - because the book you just read told you, for instance. Otherwise, it is up to you to find the path.

There is not a lot of combat, or rather combat usually comes in the form of solving puzzles. A basic example is a pair of hunters who are almost undefeatable with their levelled weapons against your rags or furs (you may have ended up at the pole but your nuclear daedric killgear didn't), unless you can lure them into their own bear traps.

Settings

The mod takes place on and around an island cluster at the magnetic pole. It is cold and windy, but you can warm yourself at the dwemer geothermal plant.

http://i45.tinypic.com/15cdq8y.jpg

That grey block at the bottom is the exit. This would be a rather difficult jumping puzzle without your ace in the hole: your collection of Levitating Bridges picked up in a dwemer workshop.

How did this happen?

http://i49.tinypic.com/15zqy68.jpg

An example miniquest... A Nordic Burial

You come across the ruins of a shrine to Arkay. Near it is a wrecked ship and the corpses of one Miss Krona and several children, along with a gaggle of levelled wolves/bears.

Miss Krona is a schoolteacher and she wrote a letter to whoever stumbles upon the dead ("if you find this, the animals have taken our lives") asking to give her pupils a proper Nordic burial by burning the corpses at the shrine's fire pit. There are two corpses nearby, the third is in the ship. To find the fourth, observe the beam leaning against the shrine's roof and do a tricky balancing act to find the corpse on the roof along with a lucky charm that grants 10% chance to ignore incoming damage.

Light the fire with a spell, throw the corpses in and the spirit of Arkay himself appears to help them on their way to Sovngarde while you get some nice bling.

Spoiler alert...

Don't worry, it's just an unusually shaped mountain. Nothing to be afraid of.

http://i47.tinypic.com/34eba7k.jpg

I aim to have about 15 miniquests and a main quest consisting of 5 separate quests, as well as 3 big islands and numerous smaller ones, 2 villages and a couple of dungeons and jumping puzzles. In the end, the map (32x32) should be more detailed and "lively" than an equally sized piece of Skyrim.

Also, when things start to go bad, you get attacked by monsters when you stray too far away from a light source.

--

There will be a popularity problem on release. Looking around this forum there are three kinds of mods in high demand:

- SUPER HIGH DEFINITION TEXTURE ENB RESOLUTION NORMAL MAPPED GRASS.

- New landmasses, provided they were announced a year ago. New ones are DOA.

- Weapon, armor or X-rated mods.

I need to find a way to swim against this current and do it now. I wonder how.

Edited by EnaiSiaion

I hope you will finish this mod ! :wink:

I can imagine to make a project like this is very hard thing. I think there are many many textures and weapons mods but mods with new world and quest are not enough. :huh:

Thanks for sharing your work and good luck !

sorry for my bad english

I believe large mods are not popular because the Nexus (and SW) discourage betting everything on one horse. If the mod does not become Mod of the Week you basically wasted your time. It is much more effective to crank out new mods on a factory line until you get lucky. After all, the effort put into a mod has little to do with whether it becomes Mod of the Week ("Open Lock Spell").

--

Community engagement initiative

Poll time! Do you prefer:

•  
  • Quest rewards that make your character stronger in combat.
  • Quest rewards that make your character stronger, but not necessarily in combat.
  • More toys to play with, even if they are not the best option.
  • Cool looking rewards like new armors etc.
  • I don't care about rewards, the journey is its own reward.

I'd say:

"I don't care about rewards, the journey is its own reward"

If the world/ areas are good enough, I gladly spend time wandering in there, looking at stuff, drinkin' *ARGONIAN ALE!* and such.

And:

"Cool looking rewards like new armors etc."

Nothing too OP, and not so that people play the questline just to get the armors/weapons.

If there's some really good books written, those are better reward than some armor parts I soon replace with another.

I mean, I don't have 1240 mannequins in my house to display all the stuff, but bookshelf can hold thirty books and looks better.

Nexus is kinda two-sided sword with mods.

Some great stuff gets abandoned because it was published at bad time, people didn't like preview shots, description was written by modder who just was able to finish the mod and he has been working on it for half year but he just wanted to upload it as soon as he can and thus description is not too clear.

Hot files is nowadays better than it used to be. There's not the same skimpy armor mods for three weeks. Those actually change now! And often there seems to be those mods I mentioned above.

Well made, but just something made it to go unnoticed, and I like it.

Anyway, I'll stop my needless rant here.

Following this mod, can't wait to see it being finished :dance:

Update!

There is a fight in a dwemer dungeon involving a laser turret that deals only light damage, but destroys any ground tile it hits, and the water underneath is electrified. Finish the fight before you have nowhere left to go!

--

I'd say:

"I don't care about rewards, the journey is its own reward"
If the world/ areas are good enough, I gladly spend time wandering in there, looking at stuff, drinkin' *ARGONIAN ALE!* and such.

And:

"Cool looking rewards like new armors etc."
Nothing too OP, and not so that people play the questline just to get the armors/weapons.

If there's some really good books written, those are better reward than some armor parts I soon replace with another.
I mean, I don't have 1240 mannequins in my house to display all the stuff, but bookshelf can hold thirty books and looks better.

Nexus is kinda two-sided sword with mods.
Some great stuff gets abandoned because it was published at bad time, people didn't like preview shots, description was written by modder who just was able to finish the mod and he has been working on it for half year but he just wanted to upload it as soon as he can and thus description is not too clear.
Hot files is nowadays better than it used to be. There's not the same skimpy armor mods for three weeks. Those actually change now! And often there seems to be those mods I mentioned above.
Well made, but just something made it to go unnoticed, and I like it.

Anyway, I'll stop my needless rant here.
Following this mod, can't wait to see it being finished :dance:

Right now it seems there isn't anything challenging to actually use those weapons on until you go back to Skyrim. :biggrin: This may need changing down the road but as of now I'm quite content with puzzle battles.

Sounds fantastic. Definitely tracking this little beauty. Keep up the good work man! I know what it's like to have to release your mod among a myriad of opposite mods. Don't lose hope, your mod will definitely go places.

If I work hard enough. :D