Why is Morrowind sometimes better than Oblivion?

Lady Azura

I wish there are bonemold armors for Oblivion...well, actually, there are some mods, but I don't like them that much...

I would like to have full Redoran's watchman armor...Helmet reminds me on mushroom...XD

I've noticed.... :whistling:

But those silly mods with all kinds of armor really upset me....

I'm new here...

I wish there are bonemold armors for Oblivion...well, actually, there are some mods, but I don't like them that much...

I would like to have full Redoran's watchman armor...Helmet reminds me on mushroom...XD

The Tamriel Rebuilt Map 1 mod contains a full set of redoran watchman armour.

• 3 weeks later...

If this isn't just a discussion of Morrowind armor, then there are many ways in which the game is better than Oblivion:

Less scaling and leveling among enemies

Far less treasure leveling

Far less quest-based handholding

More interesting puzzles

Lets you determine when you want to level up

Runs on less RAM and slower CPUs far better

Far more books

Much, much easier object placement

More diverse landscape

More factions/guilds/houses to join

None of those idiotically surreal NPC group conversations

...and best of all, far more mods.

Oblivion has:

More detailed graphics

A larger world

Traps

Better enemy combat AI

Better companion AI

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely like Morrowind more than Oblivion in many ways, most of which I'm not sure why.

But there's a certain...attraction to the land of Vvardenfell that isn't there in Cyrodill. There's the gentle costs of the west, the blighted wastelands all around the Red Mountain, the plains in the east; for examples. Cyrodiil just feels like slightly variated versions of the same land...I just see forest after forest after forest, and if I'm real lucky there's snow and water to be found.

Then there are the creatures.

Cyrodiil of Oblivion just has deer....lions....bears....wolves....as basic animal creatures, with the likes of minataurs and ogres are mythical creatures we all know. Morrowind has the cliffracers (and no, I don't like the buggers, they're just a new, unique creature), aliits, kongouti, the bull and betty netch and all the rest of them. They are completely unique creatures.

I definitely like the amor of morrowind better with each gauntlet, paldrons, and the rest. It IS fun to have a paldron that goes with your armor, then a huge spiky one on the other arm =P

The larger skill list/weapon choices was definitely nice, short blades/ long blades. Axes (And no, axes a blunt weapon does not make). SPEARS.

Ect....

I'll always see Morrowind as a better game than Oblivion, maybe because it's the fact that Morrowind was the first open ended RPG I had ever set eyes on, at the young age of yen years old I became enthralled in it all, obviously not doing quests right off the bat, I found the amount of freedom and diversity to be amazing. In morrowind you could spend weeks playing in just one region. For example, I remember playing in the Telvanni area of the island (Mid-SouthEastern) for weeks on end, not even going anywhere else. Oblivion didn't have as much diversity, although it did 'look' prettier.

Another large issue is the modding capabilities for morrowind far surpass that of oblivion. Don't get me wrong, Oblivion has a lot of great mods that add to the atmosphere, but it's the quests that Oblivion lacks. Morrowind modders could easily implement a new questline without worrying about troublesome, and ultimately needless voice acting for each and every bit of dialogue.

Now that I've got morrowind graphics extender working, with great difficulty I may add, I've lost the dieing need for fancy graphics that Oblivion delivered to us so many years later. Morrowind has a lot more stuff to do, there are what, like three times the factions in Morrowind than in Oblivion? There's so many mods that make morrowind so intricate and beautiful, like the LGNPC project, something any morrowind player should not do without.

Walk with virtue, fellow Morrowind Players.

• 1 month later...

Its pretty easy to answer the question

It comes down to Character. Dont get me wrong Oblivion is a fine game, but Morrowind is just quirky original and has an atmosphere that makes you really think you have gone to another world.

Things like the haunting call of the stiltstriders, getting called a Nwwahh, the unique wildlife and the duststorms made the game great.

• 2 weeks later...
I hadn't played a game with Morrowind's scope since Morrowind itself, so it made more of an impression upon me than Oblivion. When I played Oblivion, it still impressed me, but not as much as Morrowind since I had already experienced a similar game. Although Oblivion immersed me more with better graphics and larger length, it was never quite the same as Morrowind. Morrowind just had this quality to it that Oblivion didn't. I'm not sure how to describe it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived