ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Weapon rack issue

TyburnKetch

Please see below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/su3psy77yj6ukau/Skyrim%20Special%20Edition%2025-09-2020%2016_06.mp4?dl=0

The weapon (not just the axe - all weapons do this) aligns well to the rack itself ... but wtf is going on with the float towards the rack when putting the weapon back on?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit* Just to add... I tried playing around with the position of everything and moving everything off standard angles. (91.0000, 0.0001, 1.0000 etc) and although that has sorted out the axes vertical orientation (the head of the axe is now at the top rather than the bottom - yay - not that it really bothered me) the wierd split second float of the weapon, just before going on the rack, remains.

Edited by TyburnKetch

I've noticed this before with several weapons including vanilla. Bows seem especially prone to weird animations. It wouldn't concern me as a player, if that's any help.

Yeah, the angles is a well known bug. It is the z axis at 270 that screws up racks for me. X and Y don't seem to matter. I just make Z rotation 270.1 on all racks and activators.

Yes. I always place activators off axis, but as they were working as intended I did not originally think they were this issue. And they are not ...

However I think I have found the problem! Digging around in the script the issue, I believe, is part of the vanilla weaponrackactivatescript that comes attached to the weapon rack activator. In the script - dropobject - is called. I need to test further, rewrite the script, but this is exactly what I am seeing and would be very surprised if it is not the issue. What I need to work out is WHY the script needs to call it and if I can find another solution that is more elegant.

I think that in order for the script to align the weapon properly onto the rack it first needs the weapons 3d to be loaded. Perhaps I can use moveto (out of sight) instead. Will test and report back.

I imagine someone way more experienced than me has already rewritten this script, probably multiple times. But I figure a good way to learn, and spend my time, would be to write one myself :)

Right. So. Yeah. Have given up on that!

The vanilla weapon rack script seems to me to be so utterly convoluted and messy and tied up in itself that I would just be better off writing something from scratch.

But instead of that I have just loaded up MrDanSGs modders resource, drawn inspiration, wrote one new script and now everything I was trying to achieve with witchcraft, countless activators, 3 separate scripts can all be done in one!

Thank you MrDanSG :) Problem solved. In my instance: Do Not Use Vanilla Weapon Racks!

Edited by TyburnKetch

Doesn't surprise me at all that the vanilla script is screwed. In fact, I suspected it! MrDanSGs modders resource? I'll look into that.

I can't say I'll use it unless I have to. That could require me to use another mod, unless MrDanSGs lets me use their modifications in my own mod.

I'll still check it.

It is a modders resource. Just take what you need. He advises it :) He has made it so you can just copy and paste but tbh it is really very simple so personally I just borrowed some script ideas and the rest I made from scratch.

Still, good resource to know about if, like me, you are ever having weapon rack / display issues.