6÷2(3)

antonkr

I still am not inclined to spend a lot of time and energy explaining something simple as the equation posted by the OP. I already explained quite clearly in my first post.

Go to the web site below or any one of a number of web sites that offer grade school math explanation and practice and type the equation in either as 6/2(3) or 6÷2(3). All the insults and rants and whatever in the world isn't going to change how to do simple basic math. You either do it correctly or you are wrong.

http://www.webmath.com/crunchnumnovar.html.

While your life may have no meaning, there are many of us whose lives do have meaning and the answer is still 46, not 42.

I still am not inclined to spend a lot of time and energy explaining something simple as the equation posted by the OP. I already explained quite clearly in my first post.

Go to the web site below or any one of a number of web sites that offer grade school math explanation and practice and type the equation in either as 6/2(3) or 6÷2(3). All the insults and rants and whatever in the world isn't going to change how to do simple basic math. You either do it correctly or you are wrong.

http://www.webmath.com/crunchnumnovar.html.

While your life may have no meaning, there are many of us whose lives do have meaning and the answer is still 46, not 42.

you're a genius, one piece of work. While you do a lame attempt at sarcasm, basic math:

Under modern day standard, the / and ÷ are used interchangeably as division. This is probably due to the increase in computer programming. Because of this the / sign has lost it's meaning of fraction when written in horizontal form and more assumed to be division.

who do I trust, a Real Life college proffessor or a wannabe nobody. hmmm...

and Really, you can't tell humor from seriousness? my life may have no meaning? 46? how old are you... 12? you make me lose faith in the human race. what a better way to show teenage Ibecility with rebuttals. I do feel sorry for you. I think you probably need to be told "yeah you're right, meh" and be dubbed "Awesome" by lame snotty ragdolls.

okay, you're the best. for Dumbing down a fun, simple question of trick arithmetics. I don't think you know half a damn thing about math, or anything in that regard. nor do I even care about some typing xenophobe trying to forcibly iron their way into something which they have no idea about. not taking the time to thoroughly read posts (to Much annoyance, not thoroughly read Inductive/Deductive reasoning behind a mathematical proof) or respect other members, is one sign of a person everyone should stay away from.

thank you for making everyone feel uncomfortable.

I should probably rant at moderators for not closing this whole sub-forum of utter testosterone fueled naivety. Intellectual debates are long gone it seems. I am dear sir, out of this piss pot of dumb pointless arguing with an inanimate object which types to my responses. For good. this sub forum is no sane man's land.

Edited by Ihoe

Both Ihoe and Tidus have proven the OP's point. Its all how you view the equation. Having the equation on one line can distort what the equation really is, is the (3) applied to the whole (6/2), in which Tidus is right, or in the demoninator, in which case Ihoe is right. So we are left to assume one way or the other.

I think it's more about how we accepted order and how we agree that there's only one true answer. We all taught that the order of symbols is PEMDAS (or parantheses, exponents, multiply, divide, add, subtract), and as a result we all get the same answer.

But what if someone didn't believe in it? Let's say we divide first and then multiply last; then we get:

6 ÷ 2 = 3
3 * 3 = 9

So what we get is 9 following our own method, and as a result everyone's going to tell you you're wrong and trying to debate it makes you look like a raving lunatic.

Or, what if we create our own representations due to limitations? Maybe he means that the number in the parantheses is an exponent because he feels that a carat does not demonstrate the number well enough; if that's the case, then we get two new answers:

PEMDAS
2 ^ 3 = 8
6 ÷ 8 = 3/4

non-PEMDAS
6 ÷ 2 = 3
3 ^ 3 = 9

It's a relation between acceptance and perception; we've accepted that PEMDAS is the one way to solve equations, but very few dare challenge it. It's rather scary if you think about it...

EDIT: Just realized the whole ordeal about this earlier :facepalm:

Edited by ziitch

All I think anyone has proven is that there can't have be a debate without the tossing in a few personal below-the-belt insults....even when the debate is about mathematics.

:psyduck:

I think it's more about how we accepted order and how we agree that there's only one true answer. We all taught that the order of symbols is PEMDAS (or parantheses, exponents, multiply, divide, add, subtract), and as a result we all get the same answer.

But what if someone didn't believe in it?

Except that it isn't a matter of belief. Mathematics, at its core, is about following a prescribed process so that expressions of that process can be universally understood by anyone who is familiar with that mathematical form. The exact way that actions are performed is intended when any equation or expression is recorded so that all parties would arrive at the same answer. Atleast at the lower-middle levels of Mathematics, it is all about learning the rules of the language and what someone means by 3(8-6) or whatever. It's only at the high end of Mathematics that you start writing your own rules in order to deal with vastly complex relationships. But ultimately, it only means something if someone else can understand it in the same way it was expressed.

It's funny how people react to a simple equation.

When I first saw the thread title, my initial instinct was to think "Yes...that's right".

I initially saw 6 ÷ 2(3) as being of the form Question(Answer) - in which case, 6 ÷ 2 = 3 is correct...and my sebsequent reaction was "what the heck is this thread even about?"

It's all how you perceive something, isn't it? Given there was no = after the set of numbers and operands, I could be forgiven for thinking that no calculation was required of me.