Skyrim crashes right after Besthesda logo finishes

MajorKola

I launch Skyrim through the SKSE launcher for 1.6.6 and right after the Besthesda logo finshes and the main menu pops up, the window immediately closes. There is no error message or anyithng like "Skyrim.exe has stopped working". It simply closes like nothing happened. I launch the game by clicking on the SKSE tab on the NMM. I'm rather confused. :huh:

RIght, well I've managed to narrow the cause down to Dance of Death version 4.0 mod. I updated from 3.3(I think) yesterday, and it was working before I updated according to the author's steps in the description.

Edit: Does anyone know about a fix regarding this?

Edited by MajorKola

RIght, well I've managed to narrow the cause down to Dance of Death version 4.0 mod. I updated from 3.3(I think) yesterday, and it was working before I updated according to the author's steps in the description.

Edit: Does anyone know about a fix regarding this?

Sounds like a load order problem. Run BOSS and see if that fixes your issue.

http://code.google.com/p/better-oblivion-sorting-software/downloads/list (BOSS) A very usefull tool that sorts your mod load order, also gives info about possible conflicts that may cause ctd's and in most cases recomends how it can be fixed.
Used in conjunction with Tess5Edit, will smooth out a lot of problems that contribute to ctd's. Reading about and learning how to use them will improve your Skyrim experience!! Gopher has made a very good tutorial video on how to use TessEdit, all the info required to proactively help yourself is avail on the Nexus..

Edit: OP, chances are you may not have one of the dlc's mentioned in the description that v4.0 covers, this will cause your ctd, roll back to previous version avail on the file d/l page

Edited by SaintlyShadow

Three things I've just figured out:

1. The Steam client just updated again (third time in the past few days);

2. SKSE no longer works (at least on my machine) - not from NMM, not from skse_loader.exe;

3. Deadly Dragons no longer works and causes an instant CTD (at least for me).

Now I suspect that a lot of mods will be causing instant CTDs. The best way to check this is to use the 50% method. Deactivate all mods, start Skyrim, if it works, then activate 50% of your mods, play game, if it starts then load half of those remaining, repeat until the culprit is found.

Three things I've just figured out:

1. The Steam client just updated again (third time in the past few days);

2. SKSE no longer works (at least on my machine) - not from NMM, not from skse_loader.exe;

3. Deadly Dragons no longer works and causes an instant CTD (at least for me).

Now I suspect that a lot of mods will be causing instant CTDs. The best way to check this is to use the 50% method. Deactivate all mods, start Skyrim, if it works, then activate 50% of your mods, play game, if it starts then load half of those remaining, repeat until the culprit is found.

Copy and paste the original files if you still have them or re d/l, overwriting what you already have in your skyrim folder for skse, would'nt hurt to delete old shortcut and create a new one for your skse launcher.

As for Deadly Dragons, again chances are you've updated to latest version which will not work if you dont have either Dawnguard or Dragonborn dlc. Just because NMM says there is an update for a particular mod you may be using does'nt mean it will work for you, reading what the update does 9/10 times will avoid most problems