Skyrim/Steam issue - Immediate crash

FittyStim

I start Steam. Start NMM. The Skyrim screen comes on for about a second and then disappears - I've otherwise been playing Skyrim since Nov 11, 2011 w/o any problem. (The same thing happens when I try to lauch Civ5 from Steam as well).

I've verified the integrity of the cache and get the "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired" - which never actually happens.

I've uninstalled and re-installed both Steam and .NET on the computer.

I'm pretty sure this is a Steam problem (it happened suddenly after the last automatic update of Windows that installed a security update of .NET 3.5), but I thought that maybe someone here has encountered this before and solved the problem.

All help appreciated. Thanks!

This just happened to me too, was in the middle of playing, game froze, had to ctrl-alt-del, then when I tried to re-enter the game, exactly what FittyStim said happened to him happened to me. It must be a Steam issue, but I have no idea what to do about it.

I'm getting the same thing. I added a bunch of mods yesterday, and last night was getting a very brief error message about needing Heathfire to get the mods to work. I thought what the heck, it's only 5 bucks, so I went ahead and bought that. Not sure it ever installed properly-- I don't get that error anymore, but when I try to load the game, I get the Bethesda screen and first couple drum beats, just a glimpse of the Skyrim dragon screen before it shuts down. I can't make Steam itself open at all... support opens, but that's a whole different deal.

Needless to say, I've disabled all the recently added mods to no effect.

EDITED TO ASK: Did anyone else have a rather large Steam update in the last couple days? I suspect that the root of my problem lies there...

Yes I've had TWO steam updates in the past couple days. I'd let it update. Get to playing my game and at some point after I've either exited normally or crashed due to exceeding the memory capabilities, I'd get a pop up from Steam thanking me for participating in some beta stuff. I've never turned beta stuff on at all....

However, as far as I can tell none of that Steam stuff actually affected the functioning of the game.

I may be looking at two separate issues-- currently, Steam itself won't load properly for me. I can launch the game via NMM, but get the same crash. I suspect it's a load order issue for me, and as such trying to download BOSS, but the link in Nexus Mods is dead, only contains a link to the Google code version. I'm not stupid, but I'm not as skilled with this sort of thing as I ought to be-- pretty reluctant to just wade in...

Google code link also empty. Sigh

oops-- found the file. Easy to download and run, and it spots errors in your mods [like missing files etc] that would be hard to spot otherwise. Not sure it's going to solve all my problems, but it's a start.

http://code.google.com/p/better-oblivion-sorting-software/downloads/detail?name=BOSS%20v2.1.1%20Installer.exe&can=2&q=

Afaik, there were two Steam updates during the week as well as a bunch of Windows updates (including one for .NET 3.5, which just might be the cause of the problem).

It's definitely not a load order problem.

One weird thing is that, if I launch Skyrim from Steam, is "detects my video card" every single time I restart Steam.

Oh well, I'll take the drastic step of removing all traces of Skyrim and Steam from my computer, re-install and see if that makes a difference...

Well, it's definitely a Steam problem. I uninstalled Steam and when I tried to re-install it, I got this error message

"Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: copying SteamNew.exe to Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 32 "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Natually, I checked and no other instance of Steam was active (having just recently uninstalled and wiped it, actually).

Yeah, I did pretty much all of the standard things to solve problems (and a lot of the extreme ones - including running a downloaded program to erase all .NET references from the Win registry). I actually got Civ5 to work again on Steam - still no luck with Skyrim.

It crashes (rather immediately disappears) regardless of whether I launch it from Steam, NMM or the actual .exe file - or whether I run Steam from Steam.exe, SteamNew.exe or the shortcut (all have admin rights).

It'll probably require a complete Windows 7 restore - so naturally I'll wait until my Skyrim junkie mind needs a fix or until Valve/Steam responds with a new patch. Guess which one I'm betting on...