Deadly Combat or Duel - Combat Realism?

Deleted3765355User

Go with Deadly Combat, it's better and the locational damage improves archery a lot (you will aim to the head, that makes the game more challenging and realistic).

Edited by Derok

I'm using Deadly Combat, SkyRe and Locational Damage, and I'm having a great time with it. I haven't picked up whether or not there's been drastic alterations to the AI, but they seem more reserved and tend to block more often. Oh, but they do power-bash like there's no tomorrow. The only way to get through an enemy with a shield is to parry several of their attacks and go for them while they're recovering, which I kind of like. I'll definitely try out Duke's, but I probably won't use it if I have to reconfigure SkyRe too much, or run into too many problems. I'm a big fan of Mount & Blade, though, so it might be what I'm looking for in the way of combat mods.

WaffleIon, on 02 Apr 2013 - 08:20, said:

I'm using Deadly Combat, SkyRe and Locational Damage, and I'm having a great time with it. I haven't picked up whether or not there's been drastic alterations to the AI, but they seem more reserved and tend to block more often. Oh, but they do power-bash like there's no tomorrow. The only way to get through an enemy with a shield is to parry several of their attacks and go for them while they're recovering, which I kind of like. I'll definitely try out Duke's, but I probably won't use it if I have to reconfigure SkyRe too much, or run into too many problems. I'm a big fan of Mount & Blade, though, so it might be what I'm looking for in the way of combat mods.

I tried dukes and SkyRe, and I got a 'compatibility error' message from dukes that pops up every 2-3 seconds in game. I can't figure out how to make the two work together at all. This was with the Combat and enemy AI parts of SkyRe turned off.

• 1 month later...

If your gonna use dukes make sure you dont have any other mods. Ive tried dukes, ace,duel,deadly,location damage, skyre, and requiem. Out of all those the best realistic fun ive had is requiem. But i use Nature of the beast and about 150 other mods, so i couldent get dukes to work. The mod i use that i wont give up that i believe broke it is No death mod, that respawns you and you lose your stuff.

Edited by makasouleater69

I am much more interested to what mod gives the most responsive AI of all. I tried skyre. and it is basically a mindless hack and slash hoping the enemy would kill you. I tried duel, it is pretty good. units know when to block and somehow knows how to ddodge power attacks. but still exploitable because AI cannot recognize longer hitbox. I have yet to try dukes and deadly combat but locational damage turns me off. I tried the singular locational damage mod and fights are cheap. just aim for the head, it does not matter how powerful your bow is and if you are even an average cod\cs player you can tell it is cheating.

AI mods are basically just number tweaks in various gamesettings or combat style packages.

And theres no such thing as a responsiveness gamesetting so what you're asking for doesn't really exist.

also DUEL doesn't change any dodge or block settings, you might just be experiencing a placebo effect.

I have a few other issues with DUEL too.

the block mechanic doesn't work until you invest in shield wall so shield wall ends up being a perk that nerfs the players blocking.

theres a lot of random dirty work like a dirty edit on he player character and leftover entry points on various perks.

the stagger system is RNG based, the description page never mentions that some of your combat perks have been rigged to deactivate at low stamina.

and the cloak that is used to distribute stagger scripts causes minor bloat

not a mod I would recommend to others.

I am much more interested to what mod gives the most responsive AI of all. I tried skyre. and it is basically a mindless hack and slash hoping the enemy would kill you. I tried duel, it is pretty good. units know when to block and somehow knows how to ddodge power attacks. but still exploitable because AI cannot recognize longer hitbox. I have yet to try dukes and deadly combat but locational damage turns me off. I tried the singular locational damage mod and fights are cheap. just aim for the head, it does not matter how powerful your bow is and if you are even an average cod\cs player you can tell it is cheating.

AI mods are basically just number tweaks in various gamesettings or combat style packages.

And theres no such thing as a responsiveness gamesetting so what you're asking for doesn't really exist.

also DUEL doesn't change any dodge or block settings, you might just be experiencing a placebo effect.

I have a few other issues with DUEL too.

the block mechanic doesn't work until you invest in shield wall so shield wall ends up being a perk that nerfs the players blocking.

theres a lot of random dirty work like a dirty edit on he player character and leftover entry points on various perks.

the stagger system is RNG based, the description page never mentions that some of your combat perks have been rigged to deactivate at low stamina.

and the cloak that is used to distribute stagger scripts causes minor bloat

not a mod I would recommend to others.

Yes we saw this. Consequently to your review, the author quit for modding...

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Duel-Combat Realism and, sorry to say, it really was not for me... I noticed virtually no difference in combat difficulty or need for strategy. I don't think it made it easier, I just think it changes things so subtly that they just aren't noticeable. However, Deadly Combat... I installed the mod and from the get-go I could instantly see a huge difference in combat. Enemies blocked and used potions attacks cost stamina and everything changed (for the better of course.) Maybe D-CR was meant to be subtle, but I would go with Deadly Combat, mixed with PISE or whatever the 'successor' to that is. ASIS, is it? :) Hope this helped!

• 2 months later...

From what I understand the balancing factor of Duke's is that headshots are kills, but very difficult to get at close range. Drawing a bow fatigues you over time, especially if the bow is a heavy draw, and if you don't draw it back fully it's not a kill. Along with improved AI this sounds very reasonable.