Simple mod...

JanitorsLOL

Hello,

so what are the chances of anyone making any ideas here into a mod?

Slim to none, right?

Do any mod makers even visit here? Haha

But anyway, my idea is simple, from a technical perspective at least. Really can't believe it has not been done either, but it certainly does not exist. I have checked.

....A simple mod which removes items from the game, so that the player must craft all his items and potions from material found in the wild. With Oblivion, you need mods for crafting, but a popular mod already exists which handles this.

Remove weapons armor and potions from all merchants, so they only buy items and not sell any from their own generated stock.

That would be the very basic version of this mod. I can't imagine it being difficult to accomplish.

Why hasn't this been done for any TES game? I would imagine it applying quite well to Skyrim, with mods focusing on having the player harvest and craft everything from the wild without relying on merchant stock or corpse looting. Has a mod like this really slipped everyones mind? Such a vast improvement to the game with relatively small effort, its criminal that no one has done anything like this.

But anyway, removing all the merchant items is the very basic level of this mod, that is the least someone can do.

But there are, of course, other things which also need to be addressed. Such as items and weapons found on corpses.

I would Imagine the simplest way to prevent corpse looting would be to also edit the enemy inventories and replace their weapons and armor with versions that are worthless to the player, but effective only to the enemy?

Or what about weapons which the player cannot pick up or cannot equip? I think it would be simple to apply an attribute to specifically prevent player use. Of course it would require editing the lists for all enemies in the game, though this seems more tedious than any technical difficulty.

Really cant believe nobody has thought of something like this.

Its kind of sad really.

Edited by JanitorsLOL

Its kind of sad really.

Nope, many thought of it, then realised it was the most illogical, improbable, and insane idea ever to make TES4 the grindiest RPG in existence.

It's kind of a relief really.

Yeah this isn't a new concept and it isn't easy to do. The easiest part is removing the items as you can just make copies and check the "cannot be used" box to prevent use by the player and give that to everyone. This would just not be fun at all though.

Also yes, mod authors are here all the time. The odds of a mod being made is low though do to many reasons. The biggest would be users not understanding the scale of work to value of a concept. Some ideas would take far more work to make than they are worth in the end.

Its kind of sad really.

Nope, many thought of it, then realised it was the most illogical, improbable, and insane idea ever to make TES4 the grindiest RPG in existence.

It's kind of a relief really.

Epic trole me xd post bro. But seriously how do you figure this?

A playthrough of a TES game where you must craft everything you own sounds pretty awesome, and yet there is literally 0% mods which facilitate this. Very strange.

Also there is more to removing the items from shops and corpses. There would also need to be something which adds something of value to replace the missing armor and weapons from corpse loot. Like a set amount of gold perhaps?

These are all things which should have been done long ago, and yet not a single shred of this from the modding community.

Maybe nobody here can think properly own their own?

Its shocking to realize this, how not a single mod does any of this.

Oblivion isn't inherently designed around crafting and item collection. Even something like Maskar's crafting system in MOO is very rudimentary for a system in which its going to be the core component of the game. The amount of work required to make it a fun experience is more than what Oblivion can do

Additionally people aim more for immersion and realism when making game changing mods, and it's not exactly believable that you can't loot an enemy's weapon or armor or that weapon and armor merchants suddenly don't have anything (but maybe recipes?) to sell.

Next remove quest rewards and hidden items, too, (they're mostly weapons or armors as well) and you'll end up with a mostly empty game world, where no direct benefit comes from diving down a dungeon, cave or hole.

I'm not even sure Maskar's, or others', current crafting amount/potential can already make up for the loss from removal of all weapon or armor items from the game. And let's not forget the sheer abundance of custom items mods going exactly counter this idea, putting their stuff into dungeons or leveled loot lists.

It can all be done, of course, no doubt about that. The technical part of it is actually quite simple, too, just an insanely large amount of tedious work, emptying all vendor or reward chests and clearing out all leveled lists.

But I think the most probable answer to why this hasn't been done long ago is simply: Nobody but you so far asked for it. You'll need to find some author capable of doing all this and with the same will to have their game this way as you.

And please remain civil here, everybody. You can discuss ideas and probabilities of them being made without resorting to attacks or insults.

Believable? In a game with trapping someone's soul inside of a f***ing rock... yeah ok

Not sure why so many excuses you guys are coming up with against this simple idea of a total crafting playthrough. But I understand what you mean. Though I dont think its reasonable to play this game in the year 2020 as intended by its developers, as a serious title where you are captivated by their work. Everyone is older now, 2006 was 14 years ago! But that does not mean the game cannot still be enjoyable. After all, Bethesda is one of the few devs who allow us to manipulate their work as we see fit. No other game developer really gives us this option to such extent. The possibilities with such games are endless!

But Oblivion needs a mod like this because its also objectively better than Skyrim. It deserves it more than Skyrim does in my opinion. Plus oblivion already has a very decent crafting mod going for it.

But it also needs a crafting mod like this because there is very little to do within the game. The game is very basic and primitive.

A crafting playthrough is just one step in adding much needed complexity, or some type of actual "content".

Not sure why everyone is so against this.

Edited by JanitorsLOL