Any known mods that cause robotic distortion?

Persistent

So, I was recently introduced to the world of mods. I hadn't played Skyrim for probably close to a year, so I updated it on Steam and then went a little crazy on mods (for just jumping in). I added probably 20-30 mods.

Been having a lot of fun, but I have a pretty persistent problem.

Approximately every 10-15 minutes, I get distorted, robotic-like sound that lasts for 5-10 seconds. It applies to music, voices, everything. If someone is talking, it sounds like someone is using one of those novelty bullhorns with the switch set to "techno" or "robot." The music is also all warbly. It seems to happen most often outdoors, but it does occur indoors as well.

Are there any known mods that cause this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Persistent

Okay, couple of questions here.

First, is it just distorted, or does it slow down as well?

Second, I had a similar problem with my entire computer yesterday. Are your audio drivers and codecs up to date? That was what fixed mine.

Okay, couple of questions here.

First, is it just distorted, or does it slow down as well?

Second, I had a similar problem with my entire computer yesterday. Are your audio drivers and codecs up to date? That was what fixed mine.

The robotic distortion is the main thing I notice, but I do believe there is some slowdown as well. It's hard to discern because the distortion effect itself is so overwhelming.

My drivers and codecs should be up to date, although I will double check. I am not experiencing sound problems with any other games or programs. Wouldn't a codec problem show across everything on the computer?

Sometimes "up to date" isn't "best and working" The most up to date drivers for my sound AND video card don't work as good as some sightly older ones, in fact, the most up to date one for my sound card really messes up windows 7 for some reason.

Not saying that is the issue, but you never know. The drivers could have also installed incorrectly. But, if it was a driver problem, you would be experiencing when listening to ANY sound, not just skyrim.

Edited by ArtMurder

A couple of ideas, hope they help!

Do you have your audio set at 24bit 44,100 Hz?

And, if you are using Soundblaster, did you click the "disable Soundblaster enhancents" and check the "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

Finally, is there any chance that what you are hearing is some sort of alarm (for example if your GPU was getting too hot)

Thanks for the all the help so far! It's at least giving me some things to look at.

No other applications (including other games) are exhibiting the same sound issues, so I think I can rule out driver issues.

Georgigril - My audio is set to 24 bit at 44,100 Hz. It is definitely not a heat alarm. My alarm emits a high pitched squeel - no distortion like I am experiencing. Also, I have a program that monitors my heat levels and they are not very high for Skyrim. Shogun 2 runs much hotter and I haven't had any issues with it.

I'm not sure on the Soundblaster settings... I will check them.

The only thing I know for sure is that I did not experience this problem prior to the latest update or installing my mods. Unfortunately, I installed the mods and did the update at the same time so I don't know which one was causing the problems. I will also try to start a new game and see if the issue persists as well as disable all mods and see if takes care of the problem.

Okay, I found out what the problem was.

I feel really stupid. I noticed the other day that there actually was some distortion during a movie I was watching. I suspect I didn't notice before because I had been watching only short clips on YouTube and so didn't have a chance to notice the sound.

Turns out, the problem was a set of wireless headphones I was borrowing from a friend. I don't know if it was getting interference from the wireless router I have or what, but I just happened to get a new set of plug-in headphones. I've been using them and the distortion is gone.

So, yeah, I feel stupid. But thanks to everyone who posted on here - appreciate the help!