ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Problem during Dragonborn questline (Waking Dreams)

Mi7Sama

Hey there,

I'm currently playing through the main questline of the Dragonborn DLC. I'm at the Temple of Miraak (for the first time) and just found the Black Book - Waking Dreams. When you read it, you'll be dragged to this other dimension where Miraak appears and talks to you. Afterwards you'll find yourself in the temple again.

However, I wanted to know what happens, if you read the book again and once more I was dragged to Miraak's dimension. This time Miraak wasn't there and I started exploring the area. I gathered all the books there (Boneless limbs, Gnashing Blades, and so on) until I finally unlocked the shout at the end of chapter 5. Sadly nothing happens after unlocking that shout and I'm kinda trapped as there's no exit or anything else.

According to walkthroughs this was obviously supposed to be part of the final quest, but it seems to me that Bethesda should've done a better job with preventing players from reaching that place directly after the main questline's beginning if they just read the book again (I was expecting to get some fancy bonus at the end like from other Black Books).

Well, now the problem is that my autosaves entirely have been made in Miraak's dimension by now and the last manual save I did was 9 playing hours ago :(

Will there be troubles later on, if I just leave the area by console? Do I have to reset the main questline? Please help me, guys~

Thanks a lot.

yes, there is a high probability that you have to restart the questline, either restart it thru console (may or may not work right) or just suck up the hours and reload your last save. Protip: before doing something stupid, such as possibly breaking the game, make a back up save.

to get out, reading the book again should allow you to leave. if not open the console and type coc whitrerun an you should be back in mainland skyrim and be able to go back to solsteim via boat or fast travel.

dont point fingers at bethesda, to keep you from exploring the black book, and messing up the quest, is why they had you meet miraak and then be banished from that plane of oblivion by the seekers.

as for the secret knowledge, the knowledge you gain is the ablity to reset perk points and effectively rewrite your character without the console. also that shout is supposed to be when you unlock the final word of power for the band will shout. also when you've learned that word, that is the trigger for a dragon to show up and use the shout to reach mirraak (aka dragon riding)

Edited by modder3434

All you have to do is read the book again to leave...........

I went back into the realm right after the Miraak scene, got the shout, and then read the book to leave..........................

and you can also just kill youself by jumping into the water and then get teleoted back out.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

I went back into the realm right after the Miraak scene, got the shout, and then read the book to leave..........................

and you can also just kill youself by jumping into the water and then get teleoted back out.

Yes, its not a bug at all. I spent ages running around that area looking for an exit until I finally realised that I had to read the book lol!

I did the exact same thing. Reread the book thinking there might be something different, and lo-and-behold there was. Just read it again or kill yourself as sajuukkhar9000 said.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump a thread that is a year old, but this is the only place on the web I have actualy found the same problem I have..
Only difference is I have gotten to the point where it tells me to learn the bend will shout as a quest and then after I do so, it says completed and then my quest is to read the book again...
So I read the book once again which takes me to Miraak and my quest to read the book never says completed and I am stuck fighting Miraak over and over and over....

I have tried killing the dragons before he goes to ethereal form,
I have tried letting him kill the dragons when I bend there will,
I have even let him kill the dragons while I am riding them.

I have used my hands and took forever to bring his life down.
I have tried using my Nordic bow that I have crafted so high I almost take his health in two or three hits.
I played Skyrim so much and completed all available quests to get this high and tuff I am way over level 100 and all my perks are at level 100 and the perks on them are all at 100 some are over and green color due to what I am wearing and such, but anyways someone had said on another forum that I could use the console to get the quest to activate?...

I found out the console is the tilde key and that you apparently can type quests in to complete them so how would I do that cause I am not starting over.

Edited by Guest