Who is the Dragonborn's unidentified "friend".

LordSarcasm

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't be Arngeir or any of the Graybeards, because again... they come before you even meet them and get formally anointed Dragonborn.

On that note, doesn't the letters keep coming even after that point as well? Keep in mind Arngeir will straight up tell you where the Word Walls are if you ask him, so he has no reason to send anonymous tips.

Plus, I don't see the Greybeards leaving their mountaintop monestary and hiking down the seven thousand steps just to drop letters off at the Iverstead post office.

Edited by Relativelybest

• 2 weeks later...

I think its Herma-Mora. Did anyone else ever get the note "You caused quite a stir in Apocrypha after blah blah blah thu'um"?

Ironically I did get this in one of my games. So on that note I do believe it is old Herma sending these letters. More so because he does need the dragonborn to get powerful to become his. "Pawn" Even before the Dragonborn dlc he says something among the lines of the dragonborns will not being theirs. But mind you, I stopped paying attention to Mora due to him talking a bit too slow.

Though another theory I had before the whole "Apocrypha" thing was that maybe Akatosh could be sending the letters? I mean why not? You are Dragonborn, chosen of Akatosh after all. It would make sense for the divine to help the dragonborn get stronger to beat down his unruly firstborn. (Alduin)

Well, I think this whole omnipresence thing, going as far as receiving news from a "friend" who has seen you even in the Depths of Apocrypha, has more to do with gameplay than actual background, if there's any. It's also very much possible the developers themselves don't have any particular idea of who that "friend" and just gained time not having to explain it.

• 3 weeks later...

Farengar makes the most sense to me as the person sending "Letters from a Friend" since he was given the dragon stone which tells of the ancient dragon burial sites and possibly the sites of the word walls; he realized that you were the dragonborn after what happened at the first encounter at the whiterun watch tower as the rumours spread around that you've absorbed the dragon's soul; if he studied the dragon lore half as much as Esbern did.

Whiterun is the most travelled place by the dragonborn, so it wouldn't be hard for a court wizard to figure out through the town's rumour mill where dragonborn came back from with all that loot to sell off at War-maiden's or Belethor's Shop and what travel patterns the dragonborn has.

Now the arguement could be used that dragonborn in later levels don't always go back to Whiterun where Farengar lives and works, but remember this that Farengar is most likely a graduate from the College of Winterhold and Toldir said on many occassions that the "College looks after it's own, no matter what" which means that Farengar has connections with every court wizard in every major city and some minor ones too to pass along any messages post haste if neccessary.

Again, if he knew half as much as Esbern, it makes me wonder if Farengar is actually Esbern's understudy or replacement if Esbern was no more in one way or the other; this make me think he does have some sort of connection to the Blades or a Blade in hiding. He certainly does hold a extreme sense of curiosity towards dragons

On a side note, I'm not sure if anyone encountered this before, but in one of my very very earlier replays, after i've given Farengar the dragonstone, I "think" i've checked around the two back rooms soon after and the one to the left (with the desk?) had Delphine hiding in it or a NPC with a hood covering her face, but the name Delphine was hovering over it's head. This tends to lead me to believe that Farengar did hand over the dragonstone to Delphine after it's retrieval. And at the same time, how is it that Delphine knew you were the dragonborn (to be tested and confirmed via the Jurgen Windcaller's quest) if she was in Riverwood inn unless she wasn't but was at dragon's reach during the time of the first dragon attack.

Edited by TwilightDB

On a side note, I'm not sure if anyone encountered this before, but in one of my very very earlier replays, after i've given Farengar the dragonstone, I "think" i've checked around the two back rooms soon after and the one to the left (with the desk?) had Delphine hiding in it or a NPC with a hood covering her face, but the name Delphine was hovering over it's head. This tends to lead me to believe that Farengar did hand over the dragonstone to Delphine after it's retrieval. And at the same time, how is it that Delphine knew you were the dragonborn (to be tested and confirmed via the Jurgen Windcaller's quest) if she was in Riverwood inn unless she wasn't but was at dragon's reach during the time of the first dragon attack.

She must've moved if she was back there, as she's normally standing by or leaning on Farengar's desk when you return with the stone.

And at the same time, how is it that Delphine knew you were the dragonborn (to be tested and confirmed via the Jurgen Windcaller's quest) if she was in Riverwood inn unless she wasn't but was at dragon's reach during the time of the first dragon attack.

She didn't know. Probably everyone in Skyrim (and possibly beyond) heard the summons of the Greybeards, so she would know that there was a dragonborn around somewhere whether she was in Whiterun or in Riverwood. However, she didn't know that you were that dragonborn until you showed up at the inn asking for the attic room. She might not even have met you or heard your name before then, if you already had the dragonstone before meeting Farengar for the first time.

Delphine somehow knew that the Greybeards would test any candidate by sending him after the horn. (The Blades were intelligence agents, after all, and had an interest in the Greybeards and dragonborn lore for many centuries.) Anyone who passed the test by reaching the tomb would almost certainly be the person that the Greybeards believed was dragonborn, so leaving a note there was a clever way to ensure that only a successful candidate would receive it and know the code phrase. No Thalmor agent or random adventurer or false dragonborn would be likely to get to that note. Only a true dragonborn would have an interest in reaching the tomb plus the ability to survive Ustengrav plus the ability to pass the final gates using a Shout.

Delphine must have known some other way to get there that did not require her to kill everything in sight and use Whirlwind Sprint, or she couldn't have left the note. Perhaps the Greybeards had a secret route used to return the horn after previous dragonborn were tested, in which case Delphine probably learned of this when she learned about the test. But it seems unlikely that anyone else outside of the Greybeards would know such secrets, so the person who found the note would have had to do it the hard way.

She must've moved if she was back there, as she's normally standing by or leaning on Farengar's desk when you return with the stone.

I don't recall if Delphine was standing by/leaning on the main office desk, just that one time that i've found her in the back room which i've assume is where she always is.

it might be miraak, the dragonborn stuck in mora's black books? since he may see him/her as a rival and may want him/her to become stronger so they can fight to the death, voice vs voice, blade and magic flying across skyrim battling it out?

just want i think it might be, but im really getting sick of these couriers delivering letters to me in the middle of dragon fights...