Steam fails to validate file

nrot

I downloaded & installed Skyrim+DG/HF/HD-DLC through Steam and when I try to verify cache, I keep getting an error that 1 file failed to validate. I've tried the following:

- Completely exiting Steam and logging back in

- Rebooting my PC,

- Verifying the game cache (multiple times)

- Completely uninstalling Skyrim (including clearing out the registry entries with CCleaner) , then downloading and installing Skyrim again.

- My install path is C:\Steam

I am not running any mods or utilities at this point, it is a completely vanilla install. Skyrim will start through steam without any obvious issues, but I am worried this invalidated file may cause problems in the future. Does anyone know how I can find out which file Steam is referring to (the message does not inform me), and how to get Steam to correctly validate this file?

Some other info I forgot to mention in case it is relevant:

- During the first download, Steam hard froze on me and I needed to reboot my PC

- After reboot, download continued but 3 files were not validated.

- After re-downloading those 3 files, every time afterwards, it was 1 file invalidated

- I had previously altered Skyrim's graphics profile using Nvidia inspector (I have since reverted to default settings, nothing changed)

- My install path in my previous installation was C:\ProgramFiles(86)

- Someone else suggested to me that it may have something to do with Steam's CEG (Custom Executable Generation) for SteamWorks games. I doubt this since I did not encounter this in the past, and tested it on another Steam game, which didn't have any invalidated files. Thought it might be worth mentioning however.

I've been looking through some of the Steam FAQs and whatnot, so far haven't found an answer. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yeah, ive got a simmilar problem. New harddrive, so I had to re-install steam and skyrim. After the handful of problems it gave me, I finally got skyrim installed and updated. Downloaded the NMM and ran it. It said that Skyrim.esm could not be found in its file path. Forums say to validate the game cache. I find the right option, run it and it says 1 file failed to validate and will be reaquired. But it doesn't seem to re-aquire the file. I've tried any combination of reloading and restarting with no luck.

My guess would be that it is a file related to the launcher. After each verification of files when you access the launcher it will go thru the process of recreating your INI files. Wherever that bit of data which says the INI files have been set is stored, that is what is most likely getting re-verified.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue, had to delete my skyrim and steam completely off my computer because of a bug from a mod, all mods are deleted and removed from game now its a fresh install and it ALWAYS says 1 file failed to validate, I know what file it is and that's the "Skyrim.esm" file, its not re-acquiring the file when it says it is, for some reason something is blocking it from doing it or it just downright isn't doing it at all, I don't know what to do, I can play the game vanilla but I do wish to run mods but due to NMM NEEDing esm file it doesn't seem possible....

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue and what I did was uninstall Skyrim, right clicked its grayed out name, went to properties, Local Files, Browse local files and then I deleted everything that was in that file. I proceeded to delete everything Skyrim related (that was left behind after the uninstall) on my hard drive as well as the Nexus mod manager. (I made a backup of all the mods I downloaded in .Rar format) I then re-installed the vanilla game again and it now runs like it was just this moment bought.

This is just merely one way to fix the issue at hand. It's the most direct way to solve the issue and I hope that you're as successful as I was.

-Sketch-

• 1 year later...

This is giving me so much trouble! I can't get past my opening menu on Skyrim no matter what I do, I have tried uninstalling Skyrim and steam and have deleted all mods and files remaining, I disable UAC permissions, and I have verified game cache several times where it says: 1 file failed verification, it will be reacquired. yet its been over 2 weeks and I have tried another 2 times and still no change. All the other forums I have seen where people have a missing file doesn't seem to have it affecting their game :/

• 2 years later...

I have this problem too I do have mods installed but I don't think they are the problem but my additional issue is that steam won't let the game run the launcher opens, I hit play, and nothing happens the launcher just closes I've looked around the internet but it seems no one else is having the same thing happen.